Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot location

texasdawg

Im collecting parts to assemble an open class gun. What is the best location to put the red dot? Forward or behind the ejection port, farthest to the rear, or closer to the front. Anywheres and adjust it for balance? I have the tools to make my own mount and was looking for suggestions. Im currently shooting CO,,,

Are you thinking of building an upward-oriented mount, or some sort of 90-degree mount?  A sideways mount seems to get into my left eye vision, but the dot would be much closer to the slide, and thus closer to your CO setup.

12 hours ago, CHLChris said:

Are you thinking of building an upward-oriented mount, or some sort of 90-degree mount?  A sideways mount seems to get into my left eye vision, but the dot would be much closer to the slide, and thus closer to your CO setup.

Agree that if you want to make a somewhat smooth transition from  your current CO setup, 90 degree frame mount as close to the rear as possible.

My rule of thumb!!!

IF 95 % of world champs and grand masters use frame mounted C-mores over the port, there is usually a good reason why.

So I would say use the standard set up and dry fire for a day and you'll have figured out where the dot is.

43 minutes ago, jcc7x7 said:

My rule of thumb!!!

IF 95 % of world champs and grand masters use frame mounted C-mores over the port, there is usually a good reason why.

So I would say use the standard set up and dry fire for a day and you'll have figured out where the dot is.

...Or they do it that way because that is the scope setup they have been shooting for 10 or more years, so why change now? 

Use whichever setup you like the best, but at this point I would recommend nothing except the DPP or RTS2 (DPP being the first choice). The slideride is ancient technology. It has bad battery life, horrible elevation and windage adjustments, loses zero, is very heavy (and heavy in the wrong spot, way up high above the bore line), and can interfere with ejection (especially in 9mm) unless sideways or offset mounted. 

1 hour ago, Gooldylocks said:

...Or they do it that way because that is the scope setup they have been shooting for 10 or more years, so why change now? 

Use whichever setup you like the best, but at this point I would recommend nothing except the DPP or RTS2 (DPP being the first choice). The slideride is ancient technology. It has bad battery life, horrible elevation and windage adjustments, loses zero, is very heavy (and heavy in the wrong spot, way up high above the bore line), and can interfere with ejection (especially in 9mm) unless sideways or offset mounted. 

Yep

I'm sure none of them ever try the new stuff to see if it improves their times.  Since the difference at that level is usually very small.

Didn't see any of us in this conversation at that level.

Though I do like the DPP, and I stayed in a Holiday Inn a while back!!!!

But my eyes like the big THIN framed window of the C-more

to each his own

Edited by jcc7x7

Hello: Move the C-More back so it is closer to the pivot point. Cheely setback mount is a nice one to use and also his 90 degree mount. One thing with the upright mount is the hold over on close targets where the 90 degree mount you don't have to worry about that. I like both and use both on my open pistols. I am a fan of the C-More slide ride since they keep on working for me. Thanks, Eric

If you can make your own mounts, go for the rear mount with ether DPP or RTS2 as that will be close to your CO gun. If you don't like it make a new one over the port. As I know I would like to try the rear mount on my new gun that's getting build, but just don't want a left side racker. 

• 4 weeks later...

I never had a problem with my slide ride, but the RTS2 is just a lot better IMO.  I'm currently running it with a Slipstream mount and also have one on my back up gun with a limcat mount.  I have a rear mount on order, have yet to ever try one so i'll see how much i like it.