Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Laser practice systems for dry fire training

abigger04

Does anyone use a laser practice systems like Mantis X or Targetize for dry fire training at home?  If so, has it helped?

I saw the Targetize system demonstrated at my LGS last week and it had me wondering if I couldn't that to incorporate into my regular dry fire training.

Now that its freezing cold outside, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Does anyone use a laser practice systems like Mantis X or Targetize for dry fire training at home?  If so, has it helped?

I saw the Targetize system demonstrated at my LGS last week and it had me wondering if I couldn't that to incorporate into my regular dry fire training.

Now that its freezing cold outside, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

I have used the GSight system with a NLT SIRT trainer. Yes it has helped me for trigger control, consistency, targeting and point shooting. It has also helped for ambidextrous skills. Which I balance with live fire training.

I also acquired the Mantis X system to which you refer. It is a motion activated device that detects movement of the pistol or rifle before, during and follow through of a shot cycle.

It gives feedback whether you are doing proper technique of maintaining alignment and using proper technique.

There are multiple data points taken and I have found it to be useful, also.

It connects by Bluetooth efficiently.

It also works with live fire work.

I acquired it for doing controlled pairs and triples, as well as for ambidextrous shooting.

The pistol or rifle needs a rail or you can get some form of an adapter to mount it; something I did not use.

G-Sight

c5979df9867ac4d6e468ab5a76874037.jpg
7 yards
6d0b0a9f5ee4852dad9cf1bf3fd11fa7.jpg
20 yards
0f57d4edb4dddb7eb2d6f01efdf048e2.jpg

Mantis X
96812e2afbabc4065dcfd05f1010daa0.jpg

5b1f2792d6a1450aa8712ad535a0be7a.jpg

b7826d8f93a1d0f579ac8a4d974d7c33.jpg

fd08c150eb4f10898c2e1799f89a9499.jpg

92aec7504c9748e6bc86d679c8bc19d2.jpg

Mantis X does work on a SIRT but it isn’t as consistent because the SIRT doesn’t have a true trigger system that can be detected as well as a regular firearm

This is another laser trainer that has a built in timer.

451a5bb314a102e732c2b62da1320dc3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried nearly everything out there.

For trigger control and sight alignment, the MantisX is my favorite. The app has a ton of useful, accurate data -- which none of the laser systems provide.

If you don't want to rack the slide between shots or perform drills, then the next best thing is the SIRT laser pistol. It's expensive and the trigger doesn't quite feel the same as my Glock, but it's close enough to be useful.

• 2 weeks later...

For a while, I was using a laser cartridge during every dry fire training session but found myself looking for the red dot rather than calling my shots. Bad habit...  I put it away and may consider using it sparingly to mixed things up.  It did help with diagnosing my DA trigger pull resulting in low right shots (Southpaw here)

I had a SCATT for a while when I was shooting Bullseye. Its really expensive, needs time to set up correctly, but give you lots of info on what you are doing before, during and after the shot. However, you need to rack each time. The new system can be used with live fire...but the price tag is huge.