Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

speed holser for glocks with frame weight-thumb rest ?

sigsauerfan

13 hours ago, Novagunner said:

I never finished it. I cut an aluminum angle piece down to slide into the groove on the back side of the holster vs the front but never made it to my brothers to use his drill press to make the mounting holes.  

I’ll try to finish it. It is literally drilling 2 holes and screwing it together at this point. 

Mine is on its way back from SJC right now, along with one of their Kydex holsters so I can at least run my gun, but I was thinking that it would be as simple as milling down the metal body of the frame, to make the weight clear when the gun is holstered. very anxious to see what you have 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a ghost ultimate? If so, it has a different locking mechanism  than "The One" (a stainless ball vs a weird angled one that limits the angle that the gun can be drawn). SJC mods the ultimate only if I recall. 

I have the SJC Kydex holster for the frame weight. Was not to impressed with the holster out of the box. I had to do a lot of modification/cutting to make it like my bladetech. Also the inside was very rough and had to be sanded a ton to smooth it out. After all the mods/sanding i am very satisfied with it now. I might have gotten a made on Friday afternoon holster but make sure you have a dremel and sandpaper when it shows up.

On 4/6/2018 at 2:25 PM, Novagunner said:

Do you have a ghost ultimate? If so, it has a different locking mechanism  than "The One" (a stainless ball vs a weird angled one that limits the angle that the gun can be drawn). SJC mods the ultimate only if I recall. 

I have the Ghost "The one" and I just got it back in the mail today, so I am going to see what I can do or how far off it is when I get home tonight. The funny thing is that Michelle Viscusi just posted today on her instagram of her set up, and she confirmed she runs that holster, with the weight, so It can be done. 

That is weird.. I had called SJC a while back and they said they only did the Ultimate.That is what started me on modding mine. 

Their site even says it. 

The SJC Frame weight hangs down below the accessory rail of your pistol, causing inadequate clearance issues with some holsters. This in shop service disassembles your Ghost super ultimate holster (you must mail to us). fills much of the hollow void in the holster body with resin, reassembles and then machines the holster to allow clearance for the SJC frame weight. Shipping is added at check out. This will not work on the ghost  the one holster

Edited by Novagunner

42 minutes ago, Novagunner said:

That is weird.. I had called SJC a while back and they said they only did the Ultimate.That is what started me on modding mine. 

Their site even says it. 

The SJC Frame weight hangs down below the accessory rail of your pistol, causing inadequate clearance issues with some holsters. This in shop service disassembles your Ghost super ultimate holster (you must mail to us). fills much of the hollow void in the holster body with resin, reassembles and then machines the holster to allow clearance for the SJC frame weight. Shipping is added at check out. This will not work on the ghost  the one holster

Yea it was my fault for not reading that before I sent it in. They refunded me the difference between the mod cost and the kydex holster. I think I can mill out a part of the holster where the weight sits to make it clear

They can relieve the frame but what I found was that the locking mechanism for the one gives a weird draw unless you have the muzzle secured and pushing the whole frame out a bit. The little plastic adjustment pin would push it out enough but would snag on the weight. 

What I was working on was cutting a piece of angled aluminum and basically making my own muzzle support that is longer than the stock one and mounting it in the back side slot of the frame since you would be cutting out the front channel that the existing muzzle support fits in. It is a pita with hack saw and files.. Not very pretty either. lol. 

My Toni Systems modified Ghost Holster The One arrived today!

It fits around both the frame weight and 3D thumb rest perfectly without interfering with the Ghost Holster function at all. This is my first speed holster and the difference is amazing.

First the holster showing that front lower half was milled down to fit the frame weight.

Second, the pistol with frame weight in place and holstered.

Came to about $200 total for the holster and modification, taxed in and shipped from Italy.

20180412_215331.jpg

20180412_215523.jpg

I was able to get the holster to work just fine with about a 1/4 turn of the locking mechanism. It locks in solid, I was shaking my belt up and down hard and the gun didn't come out. When unlocked, I moved around into about every weird start position I could think of and had 0 retention issues. It sits in it a bit canted, but nothing milling the holster down about 1/4 inch won't fix. 

Pic 2.jpg

1 hour ago, SconnieShooter said:

I was able to get the holster to work just fine with about a 1/4 turn of the locking mechanism. It locks in solid, I was shaking my belt up and down hard and the gun didn't come out. When unlocked, I moved around into about every weird start position I could think of and had 0 retention issues. It sits in it a bit canted, but nothing milling the holster down about 1/4 inch won't fix. 

Pic 2.jpg

My photos should give you a pretty good idea how far to go.

since I am not a machinist and don't have access to the necessary equipment and tools, the Toni System weight and modified holster was the way to go. Since the holster retails for about $145 alone, my total cost about $200 for holster and modifications by a professional made sense. 

On 4/13/2018 at 10:38 AM, Paul49 said:

My photos should give you a pretty good idea how far to go.

since I am not a machinist and don't have access to the necessary equipment and tools, the Toni System weight and modified holster was the way to go. Since the holster retails for about $145 alone, my total cost about $200 for holster and modifications by a professional made sense. 

No I like how yours looks! I would have considered going that way if I was aware of it. I plan on working out the kinks on the holster this weekend, I will post pics of the results. Could you possible post a pic of the holster without the gun in it? I am curious how far they cut down, It looks like there is still a small channel for the barrel guide. 

Toni System, the Italian company that made my frame weight and thumb rest also makes a mirror image thumb rest for lefties that attaches to the other side of the frame weight. The frame weight has the same four threaded holes on each side. These holes are used to attach thumb rests or brackets for mounting a dot sight above the slide or both the thumb rest and the bracket. They have three different thumb rests that they call finger rests, the 3D version I bought, a more traditional "*thumb rest [generic]*" type and one with more of a ramp to it. Each comes in both right and left handed shooters versions. See photos and parts lists here:

http://www.tonisystem.it/US/kit-glock-open.html

For some reason the site won't let me say *thumb rest [generic]* as one of the types...

Edited by Paul49
Clarity

On 13/04/2018 at 1:23 AM, Paul49 said:

My Toni Systems modified Ghost Holster The One arrived today!

It fits around both the frame weight and 3D thumb rest perfectly without interfering with the Ghost Holster function at all. This is my first speed holster and the difference is amazing.

First the holster showing that front lower half was milled down to fit the frame weight.

Second, the pistol with frame weight in place and holstered.

Came to about $200 total for the holster and modification, taxed in and shipped from Italy.

20180412_215331.jpg

20180412_215523.jpg

is  it  a  toni system mod'ed  unit   they sell on their  website? 

don't know  who  offer  this  holster, they're  goin to sell  quite some  as  they're  the 1st  one  selling a  speed holster  to accomodate  this  increasingly popular set up.

very  neat.i  love  what  has  been done  to  the  ghost unit ;  does  it involve  cutting in the material  only  or  did  they had  to  relocate  some  of  the  holster's   internals ?

very  cool

Edited by sigsauerfan

7 hours ago, sigsauerfan said:

is  it  a  toni system mod'ed  unit   they sell on their  website? 

don't know  who  offer  this  holster, they're  goin to sell  quite some  as  they're  the 1st  one  selling a  speed holster  to accomodate  this  increasingly popular set up.

very  neat.i  love  what  has  been done  to  the  ghost unit ;  does  it involve  cutting in the material  only  or  did  they had  to  relocate  some  of  the  holster's   internals ?

very  cool

Yea it modifies the holster, you have to cut a significant portion of the plastic of the holster away to make it fit on there. 

• 3 weeks later...

i've  finally  received my  new  ghost ''the one'''  for  my  limited  glocks  sporting  the toni system frame weight-thumb rest  . i  now  have  to  figure  out  how  to  perform the  mod   and  make it  as  clean looking as  possible.

thanks  to  all  the posters in this  thread   and  to  PAUL 49  for  bringing the  ghost option  ;   i  think  this  ghost  holster   is  the  most  best looking-functionnal  unit  out there  for  this  specific  glock set up.  while  i'm not in love  with the  locking system ,and  over  anything ,  the  quality of  the  locking ''ball''  made  of plastic  which  feel   cheap ,i'm gonna  get used  to  it  in no time.

Edited by sigsauerfan