Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting My First Icore

Hey guys I`m about to shoot my first Icore Match. I`m really looking forward to it as I`ve shot local Pistol matches, and 3 Gun.

At the local matches Power Factor doesn`t come into play. How does this affect an Icore Match?

I`m shooting a stock pre hole 6 shot 686. The rounds I have on hand are Winchester 130gr FMJ and Speer Lawman 158gr TMJ, will these make the cut?

Thanks in Advance

Good afternoon Sir.

First off, have a great safe time, its loads of fun.

The power factor is 120. bullet weight x velocity divided by 1000.

If you don't make that you do not get a score, but I think that if it's factory ammo they might make an exception.

It's a fun shooting game, but as always be safe,

Russell Bryan

Canadian ICORE, AP, IPSC, PPC and anything else that's fun with a firearm.

27 minutes ago, bdpaz said:

And where in the rule book do we find that exception?

It must have been taken out. It was put in for International shooters who just purchased factory ammo instead of trying to ship or purchase hand loaded. It even named the brand that was accepted. Guess I should stay up with the rules before I speak. ✌?

34 minutes ago, TFT_Guns_Up said:

Ok, I have Winchester 130gr FMJ, muzzle velocity is 800fps,  and Speer Lawman 158gr TMJ with a muzzle velocity of 850fps, will either of these rounds make the grade?

Do I need to look into .357's?

If those speeds are from your gun then the 158gr at 850fps will be legal as it gives you a 134 power factor. Realistically, as a first timer at local match nobody is likely to care. I'd volunteer that you're unsure that it makes power factor, and also wouldn't try to hustle any one with side bets on the results. ;)

You can get away with either ammo for your first match and I'm sure no one will bother you.  After that the 158 grainer is allowed.  The 130s were tested and were too lite.  I use to be the rules coordinator.  Things may have changed since them but I like being safe.  

Remember, don't go fast. A slow A for ICORE is mush better than a fat C or D.  If you are accurate you will win more.  As you become more proficient your times and thus your scores will improve.

Have a great time.  Have fun, and find a few people you like and can communicate with.

Edited by AzShooter

12 hours ago, TFT_Guns_Up said:

I’ll bring both and see what happens ;)

I’m shooting the International Postal Match, at Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club. 

I’m in SE PA and I saw this by chance on the Icore FB

Just being a local match no one will care and as far as the Postal match their isn’t anything but bragging rights on the table. But consider joining ICORE and getting classified as Ontelaunee Rod and Gun Club in New Tripoli, PA. David Olhasso will serve as the 2019 host for The IRC (International Revolver Championship) which is the premier match for ICORE. 

Enjoy yourself as you will not find any friendlier people to shoot with than revolver people.

Dean Gomez

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, JRB said:

Good afternoon Sir.

First off, have a great safe time, its loads of fun.

The power factor is 120. bullet weight x velocity divided by 1000.

If you don't make that you do not get a score, but I think that if it's factory ammo they might make an exception.

It's a fun shooting game, but as always be safe,

Russell Bryan

Canadian ICORE, AP, IPSC, PPC and anything else that's fun with a firearm.

Here is the clip from the current rule book, if you fail chrono you do get a score but with 360 added to it.

5.3. Ammunition must produce a minimum power factor of 120. All competitors may be tested for minimum

power factor at any ICORE match. Six rounds will be collected from each competitor at random during the

match and at least one of those six must equal or exceed a 120 power factor when shot over a chronograph

through the competitor's firearm. A seventh round may be collected and weighed to accurately determine

bullet weight. "FAILING TO MAKE CHRONO" will result in 360 seconds being added to a competitor's

score. Chronograph testing of a competitor’s ammunition is mandatory at Regional and higher matches

effective 01-January-2018. Chronograph testing of a competitor’s ammunition has been mandatory at the

2016-2017 International Revolver Championships. (REV 19-July-2017, added chronograph requirement for

Regional and higher matches)