Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC technique

I am a fairly experienced pistol shooter (M Class), but PCC and ARs are fairly new to me.

Are there any You Tube videos or other media that does a good job of discussing USPSA style rifle technique?

I want to start with proper technique and avoid building bad habits when I start extensive dry/live fire.

Many thanks in advance!

Thank you for this.  I reviewed his videos and he does a good job from a 30K foot perspective.  Unless I missed something, he does not have much on stance, grip, entering and exiting positions, shooting on the move, reloads, transitions, drills, etc..

I am literally looking for PCC fundamentals.

Edited by Nemesis Lead

I'm on the same path as you. Been shooting PCC for about a year now after many years as a pistol shooter. Initially it didn't seem that there was much to it but have been experimenting more recently. As a M class shooter you'll quickly figure out how to hold the rifle when moving from position to position. The one technique that I've been working on more recently is to bring the PCC closer to the center of my chest. I've found it helps control the dot a lot more especially when moving and shooting. Try it out and see if it works for you

• 9 months later...

I think half the battle with PCC’s and getting good at shooting them is having one that is 100% reliable, you can’t compete if the gun don’t run. The next is learning how to reload quickly, while it’s slmost never needed during a standard course of fire there is always the classifier that requires a reload and it’s real easy to drop the HF if you can’t reload quick. 

PCC fundamentals are very similar to pistol with the exception of the grip.  Being a M shooter, you should have a good idea on the fundamentals.  The main difference with movement is learning how to control the PCC during movement.  

Watch These Max videos they will help with movement.

On 12/7/2017 at 10:27 PM, Nemesis Lead said:

I am a fairly experienced pistol shooter (M Class), but PCC and ARs are fairly new to me.

Are there any You Tube videos or other media that does a good job of discussing USPSA style rifle technique?

I want to start with proper technique and avoid building bad habits when I start extensive dry/live fire.

Many thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mike+seeklander+daily+dry+fire+challenge

Seeklander has some pretty good PCC primer stuff here along with his pistol stuff

On 12/9/2017 at 3:38 PM, 2scoops said:

I'm on the same path as you. Been shooting PCC for about a year now after many years as a pistol shooter. Initially it didn't seem that there was much to it but have been experimenting more recently. As a M class shooter you'll quickly figure out how to hold the rifle when moving from position to position. The one technique that I've been working on more recently is to bring the PCC closer to the center of my chest. I've found it helps control the dot a lot more especially when moving and shooting. Try it out and see if it works for you

Oh man, this this this!!

I have found moving buttstock in towards pec muscle, right under dominant eye, has been huge in my PCC recoil control. And, gripping very firm with support hand. 

In order to do this, I had to go with a higher mount on my Cmore. Now head is straight up and gun comes straight back, and doubles are right on top of eachother. Still got a lot to learn with PCC, but I like this a lot. I also think it is improving my rifle shooting and I am considering replacing all my mounts with higher mounts.

46 minutes ago, NoKimberDave said:

I have found moving buttstock in towards pec muscle, right under dominant eye, has been huge in my PCC recoil control. And, gripping very firm with support hand. 

Mike Seeklander prefers this method too for the same reasons you mentioned.

Action shooting fundamentals are the same here as everyone said.  

I will tell you the bane of PCC shooting is ports and leans.  The hold over is formidable, and its easy to shoot through walls on a tight lean or through a port.  Spend some time experimenting.

11 hours ago, stick said:

PCC fundamentals are very similar to pistol with the exception of the grip.  Being a M shooter, you should have a good idea on the fundamentals.  The main difference with movement is learning how to control the PCC during movement.  

Watch These Max videos they will help with movement.

At about 31 seconds on the 1st video, Max was completely outside the course line with one foot and lifted up that foot and fired.  Never seen that before.  Looks like something I might want to try for a hard lean. ?

6 hours ago, longbeard said:

Action shooting fundamentals are the same here as everyone said.  

I will tell you the bane of PCC shooting is ports and leans.  The hold over is formidable, and its easy to shoot through walls on a tight lean or through a port.  Spend some time experimenting.

I think thats why people started using 45 degree dots

18 hours ago, andrewt556 said:

Do you loosely grip the pistol grip?

You don’t have to hold the gun as tightly with the strong hand as you do with a handgun. Since you can split faster with a rifle and still hit things, it’s helpful to prevent trigger freeze.

Mount the gun on your pec below the eye and then bring your head down the stock. Don’t mount the gun conventionally in your shoulder pocket and lay your head over 45 degrees onto the stock.

Grip hard on the handguard and drive the gun back into your shoulder.

Additionally, learn to pull the stock up over your shoulder when moving so the rifle can be level, instead of keeping the stock in front and dipping the muzzle down toward the ground in an arc around walls. The Max Leograndis videos linked above will show this very clearly.

Edited by MemphisMechanic
19 hours ago, BartCarter said:

At about 31 seconds on the 1st video, Max was completely outside the course line with one foot and lifted up that foot and fired.  Never seen that before.  Looks like something I might want to try for a hard lean. ?

If you look at the stage summary in the lower left hand corner of the video, Max received a Foot Fault procedural on that stage...  It's highlighted in red on the screen.

I ran it in slow motion and it was close...  Max might have been too fast for the RO.

It does look like an interesting way to deal with a hard left side lean though.

On 10/9/2018 at 6:57 AM, NoKimberDave said:

Oh man, this this this!!

In order to do this, I had to go with a higher mount on my Cmore. Now head is straight up and gun comes straight back, and doubles are right on top of eachother. Still got a lot to learn with PCC, but I like this a lot. I also think it is improving my rifle shooting and I am considering replacing all my mounts with higher mounts.

What did you use to lift the cmore? I used a standard picatinny riser but its ugly...

8 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Additionally, learn to pull the stock up over your shoulder when moving so the rifle can be level, instead of keeping the stock in front and dipping the muzzle down toward the ground in an arc around walls. 

Oh man, that's deep. Everytime I start thinking I'm an accomplished rifleman I learn something new. I honestly have no idea if I do this or not, time to go watch some match videos...