Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot both Open and CO?

Broncman

CO is more technically challenging as the trigger is crappier (relatively), the slide moves the dot around, and there is no comp to help. All obvious stuff.

There is usually less "heat" in CO, which means that although I may shoot my Open gun better, I will finish higher in the CO Division.

CO classifier times "may" be easier depending on the classifier.

Open is more fun! 

Thanks for the thoughts! Started practicing with my Open pistol and I do seem to shoot it better at speed for the reasons you stated. 

Sticking with CO as my main gun till I reach a goal I have set. May start picking up an extra match each month with the open pistol though.

I primarily shoot Open. I decided to shoot CO for this monthr brcause i bought the gun a year ago and just havent shot it.

Compared to my Open gun, the trigger is crappy, the dot moves around and the recoil,  even with minor, is much more than my 1911/2011 steel guns.

Im normally at the top of the Open shooters at my club. So for me, there is a challenge to shoot with the CO guys and see where i land in the overall scores.

Also, shooting minor for a month, i hope, will get my mind and focus back on shooting Alphas.

At the top of Open, its nit all about shooting quickly.  You still need to get those Alphas.

• 1 month later...

Thoroughly agree with the, "open is more fun" comments.......is why am selling 2 CO pistols...appreciate the division, but its just not my cut.

I find moving from open with a stable platform to CO with different pistol balance dynamics and dot chase difficult...but thats likely my patience and eyesight.....

I’ve done both. They’re two, totally different games. Trying to compare the two is asinine.

Major PF/heavy gun/good trigger/frame mounted dot/race holster/170mm mags VS Minor PF/Light gun/crap trigger/slide-mounted dot/Production gear/140mm mags... the only thing tying the two together is the sight. 

As to which is more fun? That’s personal preference. I’m enjoying CO due to the reliability/ease of use with the pistols, and since I’m using using my CO gun in 3 gun. I’m sure most folks will tell you Open is more fun, but I think CO is more challenging. 

Made a stop in CO for about a match or two.  Had two guns all good to go.  Fell into a Limited gun in May, added another in July and an Open gun in August.  Both CO guns got sold off.  Way more fun to go fast, outrun the occasional C/D and know I've got 28/29 rds ready to go at the start of a course if I choose to start with the 170.

I've got guns for both divisions. Right now, I'm digging CO more, for a couple reasons. I shot open for so long, it's fun to do something different. I like the minor scoring, so accuracy counts. CO still requires a reload for most courses, just like open. Less loud and violent. I won't be selling my open gun anytime soon, but I'm having fun slumming it in CO.

I shoot Open 40 right now.  I went to Open because of eyesight issues, before there was a CO division.  My Limited gun was a CZ 75 TS.  I've modified it, lightened the slide, put a dot on it and converted it into a SC gun.  I ran it all season with a 130PF load.  If this pistol were legal for CO, I'd switch in an instant.

I have shot both.  I shot open for years and still prefer it, but carry optics is fun and not hard on the pistol like open.  My only draw back is I don't shoot production type guns as well as I do a 2011 platform.  If you are comfortable shooting production guns then it might be better, although there is nothing like ripping down a stage in open at major power factor.

1 hour ago, TMcGowan said:

If you are comfortable shooting production guns then it might be better, although there is nothing like ripping down a stage in open at major power factor.

Nothing like ripping down a stage with an awesome, SHORT RESET trigger of an Open Gun.

I shot CO for about 3 weeks, and my finger got tired on the CO gun.  I sure didn't have the trigger speed like on my Open gun.

had to turn the cmore sideways on my open gun to be able to get on that dot quickly (or at least quicker).  handled and shot a few CO guns and just cannot get on those dots, being higher up.  sure with lots of practice i could but i think going back and forth between that and my limited guns would be pretty hard.

Shooting my open gun this weekend for the first time. In practice, my trigger speeds are not much different. My draw with my CO is faster. Just need more practice with the 2011.

Dot is higher on the 2011 as well. We will see how it goes.

Looking forward to it.

Edited by Broncman

B, I have problems doing just what you are trying.  The difference in dot heights between a frame mounted Slideride and a slide mounted reflex sight are just too different.  It takes me a week of dry fire practice to transition from one to the other.  If I have two matches on the same weekend, one of them is going to suffer while I play find the dot.  I'm building a slide mounted reflex sight Open gun right now to try to cure that problem.

I shoot CO with an M&P and a DPP, Open with a 2011 and frame mounted DPP, and carry an M&P with an RMR for work.  The sights are all different heights (some only slight), but I haven't had any issues finding the dot no matter which gun is in my hand.  I know some people do though.  Like most things, you'll have to try it and find out for yourself.  

For the OP's question, I like them both equally.  Open is faster with the comps, frame mounted dots, and major scoring.  CO is fun because the guns and magazines don't have issues and minor scoring makes it slightly more challenging.  The only thing making me hang on to my open gun is that there are 30-40 open shooters per weekly match and only about 7-8 CO shooters.  

8 hours ago, hitman_usmc said:

there are 30-40 open shooters per weekly match and only about 7-8 CO shooters.  

Thats how it is around here, but Limited is the majority. I’m hoping CO gains some more popularity in the future. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2017 at 4:02 PM, Broncman said:

If so, which gun do you shoot better at speed?

Which class do you feel is more challenging?

Better at speed is a interesting question, I shoot the CO gun marginally better at speed (still way to many C's) but that is only because I have to and that speed is not the same. Shooting major yo know you can get away with more so you do.

They, like all divisions, are similarly changeling just for different reasons. For me Open is a speed challenge how fast can I go how much can I shoot on the move ect. in CO I have to focus on getting better hits and for me that is a attention challenge.

On 1/18/2018 at 9:39 AM, TMcGowan said:

I have shot both.  I shot open for years and still prefer it, but carry optics is fun and not hard on the pistol like open.  My only draw back is I don't shoot production type guns as well as I do a 2011 platform.  If you are comfortable shooting production guns then it might be better, although there is nothing like ripping down a stage in open at major power factor.

Also super satisfying beating $4000 Open guns with a $800 Glock. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/22/2018 at 10:07 AM, zzt said:

B, I have problems doing just what you are trying.  The difference in dot heights between a frame mounted Slideride and a slide mounted reflex sight are just too different.  It takes me a week of dry fire practice to transition from one to the other.  If I have two matches on the same weekend, one of them is going to suffer while I play find the dot.  I'm building a slide mounted reflex sight Open gun right now to try to cure that problem.

How is it going with the slide mounted Open gun?

Thinking of adding a 9mm top end to my Limited 40 frame and using a slide mounted optic, curious if the Open Comp will mitigate the slide movement of the dot?

The comp will definitely reduce the dot rise.  I have several guns with slide mounted optics.  No problems with any of them.  My current favorite method is to mount them on the deep scallop cut in the rear of the slide.  That positions the dot a lot closer to the center of the bore.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

The comp will definitely reduce the dot rise.  I have several guns with slide mounted optics.  No problems with any of them.  My current favorite method is to mount them on the deep scallop cut in the rear of the slide.  That positions the dot a lot closer to the center of the bore.

I'm thinking of a 9mm slide with a bomar cut, put an adaptor on it and a dpp, rts2 or romeo.  Have a dpp and like it, but kind of like the romeo's I've looked at also.