Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

build the absolute lightest PCC on earth

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just changed out some hardware on my daughters PCC.  For comparison, my PCC weighs 7 lbs 13.1 ounces.  My Daughters weighed almost 7lbs.  Now it weighs a modest 5lbs 10.8 ounces.  It almost feels fake to me, but she loves it.5a64d0014eea5_katespcc.thumb.jpg.6722c86c60c536f5cf6fb13c244c78ec.jpg

• 11 months later...

Very happy with this build so far.

TACCOM Lightweight 5.25 inch barrel with 16 inch pinned welded shroud

AP Custom gen 1 carbon fiber forearm

QC10 skeletonized upper and lower for glock

MagpulMagpul grip

maxim defense bolt

hiper fire 24E trigger

TACCOM Adjustable Recoil Buffer

battle link minimalist stock

american defense quick detach mount

vortex venom red dot

rsz_20181229_131106-min.jpg

Well guys I think I completed my mission. It took some custom parts and lots of tweaking, but the finished product is 62.5 ounces (3.90 lbs).

This gun is purpose built for steel challenge only and we were able to create a load/buffer/spring/trigger combo that runs 90pf ammo flawlessly. And best of all the dot barely even wiggles and the recoil feels about equal to my 10/22 shooting mini mags!

When my kid opened her box Christmas morning and took it out she said “is this really a PCC daddy? It feels lighter than my 10/22!” Truth be told, it’s 3 ounces heavier than her 10/22, but the weight is balanced well to make it feel lighter.

C92558B7-40C9-40AB-AC79-CE3B530284E9.jpeg

Amazing and great job!!!

Both of these are 5lbs, the one on the left drops to 4.76lbs without the optic(Aluminum Cmore),  I had mine at 5lbs as well,... now it is almost 5lbs 12oz with a Holosun, 14” handguard with a stop, Jp 3port comp, adjusable cheek riser,  second optic and offset mount.  

B3374E21-6F75-4578-A0AF-60EC89692C36.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 9:22 AM, Hallz said:

Amazing and great job!!!

Both of these are 5lbs, the one on the left drops to 4.76lbs without the optic(Aluminum Cmore),  I had mine at 5lbs as well,... now it is almost 5lbs 12oz with a Holosun, 14” handguard with a stop, Jp 3port comp, adjusable cheek riser,  second optic and offset mount.  

B3374E21-6F75-4578-A0AF-60EC89692C36.jpeg

Is that a Venom Defense grip on the right ($150.00)?

• 1 year later...

I've done two, with the only consideration for light weight being the barrel. 

On the AR9 Glock gun, I have the Taccom 13/16 barrel, and an 12" handguard (I think). With optic and aluminum Brian Miller magwell it comes in at 7 lbs 1 oz.

On the AR9 Colt gun I have a barrel that had three squibs shot into it causing bulging at the last 2" of barrel. No other apparent damage, so I cut the barrel to 10", and pinned and welded an aluminum tube on the flat where the gas block would sit. This gun weighs 7 lbs 5 oz with a 13" handguard.

Both are side charging, the Colt gun has a Matrix Arms upper, the Glock gun has a NFA upper. 

With the Taccom superfeed barrel, the Glock gun is smooth. It also has the Taccom 3 stage buffer. The Colt gun barrel came with the Glock gun (ATI, NFA clone), and has a KVP buffer. Both work well, if I have to pick one that runs smoother, it would be the Colt mag gun.

Excuse the horrid grip fins, California makes having fun tiresome.

AR9 C Small.jpg

On 7/19/2020 at 3:25 AM, jrdoran said:

So technology has raced forward and new products and builds are in the market.   Anyone care to update the state of the art in lightweight PCC builds ? 

Well I liked my kids so much that I did another similar to hers, but didn’t go as extreme. I used a milspec buffer tube, modified MFT stock and my normal hiperfire 24c trigger. It comes in at 4lbs 7ozs. 

all the skeletonized stuff looks cool, but there’s no real weight savings as the metal is thicker and heavier to compensate for all the cuts. 

you can’t really go lighter on the bolt/buffer unless you plan on bunny fart only loads, otherwise it’ll beat up parts, your shoulder, and the dot will bounce like mad. In fact, my super light build bounces a bit much using 128pf loads and I’m thinking about putting the bolt weight back in to see if that will slow it down enough to reduce some bounce. Otherwise, I think I’ve found the limit (my limit) of lightweight vs double tap accuracy. My 5lb 8oz Gun will put shots about 1.5-2” apart at 8 yards. This super light puts them about 4” or more apart. This means I have to slow down my second shot on anything with distance, otherwise it’s C/D zone City...no bueno.

As for barrels, I think the only way anyone is going to get much lighter is to create a shrouded barrel system with a shorter steel barrel and titanium shroud (i’d be afraid how much that would cost).

So there has been some discussion about the pros and cons of skeletonized uppers and lowers.    What about Polymer based uppers for the purpose of weight savings ?    Here in CT, I'm limited to a forged pre-ban lower, but can use any upper.  Is there much weight savings merit to a polymer based upper ? 

On 7/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, nickbfishn said:

Well I liked my kids so much that I did another similar to hers, but didn’t go as extreme. I used a milspec buffer tube, modified MFT stock and my normal hiperfire 24c trigger. It comes in at 4lbs 7ozs. 

all the skeletonized stuff looks cool, but there’s no real weight savings as the metal is thicker and heavier to compensate for all the cuts. 

you can’t really go lighter on the bolt/buffer unless you plan on bunny fart only loads, otherwise it’ll beat up parts, your shoulder, and the dot will bounce like mad. In fact, my super light build bounces a bit much using 128pf loads and I’m thinking about putting the bolt weight back in to see if that will slow it down enough to reduce some bounce. Otherwise, I think I’ve found the limit (my limit) of lightweight vs double tap accuracy. My 5lb 8oz Gun will put shots about 1.5-2” apart at 8 yards. This super light puts them about 4” or more apart. This means I have to slow down my second shot on anything with distance, otherwise it’s C/D zone City...no bueno.

As for barrels, I think the only way anyone is going to get much lighter is to create a shrouded barrel system with a shorter steel barrel and titanium shroud (i’d be afraid how much that would cost).

Nickbfishn - Are you still using a Tennessee Arms lower on your daughter gun?  I noticed the picture of your daughters guns looks like one - how did/does it hold up? I have one and it seems to be eating magazines, shaves the top - maybe a bolt issue also. 

28 minutes ago, Texaspaul said:

Nickbfishn - Are you still using a Tennessee Arms lower on your daughter gun?  I noticed the picture of your daughters guns looks like one - how did/does it hold up? I have one and it seems to be eating magazines, shaves the top - maybe a bolt issue also. 

Yep, still going strong. We both have  taccom bolts and I hadn’t noticed any mag deformation. Her gun has only had sub minor ammo, but I have right at 1k 130+/-PF through mine and so far, so good (knocks on wood).

A friend of mine recently  brought over his PCC to look at because he was having multiple issues. It is an early model PSA Glock lower with a bolt that I don’t recognize  and his mags look like chewed up dog toys. Could be the lower, could be the bolt, or might be both. 

On my kids gun the lower was fine and didn’t need anything. On mine, however, I had to take a few thousandths off the top of the ejector, and slightly bend it to even get it to hand cycle. Yours might need some tweaking as well.

• 1 year later...