Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Wrightson

Size of shotshell for 3 gun

Recommended Posts

I am sure this has be covered but I can’t find a reference.  What length shells are you using in 3 gun? 2 3/4 or 3 inch?  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2.75" is most common and highest quantity used.

 

3" for some special situations, but rarely used.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of spinner or distant popper specific loads I've never seen anyone use 3".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some matches forbid 3". For spinners I use a "hot" 2.75" along with a full choke. Federal Prairie Storm, Remington Express Long Range, any 2.75" #6 turkey load, etc works well on spinners. For everything else I'm using 1 1/8oz, 2.75", #7.5, 1250-1300fps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PatriotMRD said:

Some matches forbid 3". For spinners I use a "hot" 2.75" along with a full choke. Federal Prairie Storm, Remington Express Long Range, any 2.75" #6 turkey load, etc works well on spinners. For everything else I'm using 1 1/8oz, 2.75", #7.5, 1250-1300fps.

^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, don't forget to check the rules the particular match/club is running for shot size restrictions. Some may allow #6, some may restrict to #7.5 and some may allow up to #4 (not #4 buckshot). Always be sure it's lead shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone ever use 7/8 oz loads for stages that just have short distance clays, poppers and small plates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya don't need a hotter load for spinners...over in 2 if ya just hit the damn thing accurately. If the spinner is placed over 12 yards from the shooter it's not a birdshot tgt.

Heavy loads damage tgts and shotguns designed/modified for light loads. Not to mention the unnessarily sore shoulder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

Ya don't need a hotter load for spinners...over in 2 if ya just hit the damn thing accurately. If the spinner is placed over 12 yards from the shooter it's not a birdshot tgt.

Heavy loads damage tgts and shotguns designed/modified for light loads. Not to mention the unnessarily sore shoulder.

I used to agree with this, but it turns out 1 Prairie Storm can get it in a fraction of a second where 2 birdshot can take well over a second. That stuff adds up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless the MD restricts the use of PS, I would...

 

But I don't put spinners in majors, imho they don't belong there...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

But I don't put spinners in majors, imho they don't belong there...

Curious as to your reasoning behind this. I'm generally not in favor of circus targets but it seems I'm in the minority.

 

Also, make sure you click that hyperlink inmy post above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. It's a circus tgt, like you say.

 

2. you should not have to carry 20 different boxes of speciality shotgun ammo for majors.

 

3. It screws the shooter with a fixed choke.

Edited by RiggerJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4. Using PS on a spinner nullifies the entire porpose of the target, which is to test the shooters accuracy and timing. Akin to using PS on a star and shooting the center hub and knocking all tgts off in one shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For spinners I used prairie storm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Beneli M2 always got 2.75 1250ish. Ran reliably and was very easy to control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2017 at 7:30 PM, Zoomy said:

Does anyone ever use 7/8 oz loads for stages that just have short distance clays, poppers and small plates?

Most shotguns won't cycle it. I have run hotter 1oz loads but that's just because they were cheap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×