Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me find inefficient movement

mreed911

Recent stage @ local match.  Finally got some video (just this one stage) and would love help identifying things I can change.

To start: I'm fat.  Because I'm fat, I'm slow.  Part of my USPSA improvement will come from weight loss - incorporating movement drills into my "workout" regimen will help lose more weight - win win.  Running in tight spaces, backwards, is me at my slowest.  You'll see that in the video.

The stage: 32 rounds - 8 steel, 12 metric.  U-shaped shooting area, starting at the front and working backwards and around.  Three steel on each side, two in the middle - one forward falling, a smaller rear-falling behind it.  Barrels on each side require engaging two metric on each side from the "forward" position, the rest can be engaged from a single position at the rear, but it makes sense to engage three metrics at the front on each side vs. taking them from the rear since you have to start and end on the front positions.

Me: Carry Optics (C Class), 22 rounds in each mag.

My performance: 49.99% overall, 74.88% in Carry Optics.  152 of 160 points in 27.48 seconds (6.1140 HF), 28A/4C/0M.  36 rounds fired (4 extra) - two picking up mikes on steel, 2 on called bad shots (1D on one of of the rear metric from a bad entry, 1C that I thought was a D on the front right metric from a bad entry).  Two reloads on the move.  My closest CO competitor had two mikes, was 8 seconds faster and placed much higher.

Things I noticed in the video:

First shot took a little longer than I'd like

Six seconds to move from the front to the rear, shot to shot

Three seconds to move from rear to front, shot to shot

Make up shots ate time

Questions:

Left-to-right or right-to-left?

Running backwards/holding forwards - tips/comments?

Things you see I don't?

Don't be brutal but don't hold back.  Any drills you'd recommend - movements or dry-fire - that would affect this stage?

Edited by mreed911

Dude , first off I️ hope some one can post up tips ,, I️ can not, sorry I️ am a very big boy too!! I️ shoot CO also and my fist match was this year I️n May , so I️ am a rookie at this new game. I️ am so hooked on this sport !!! I️ bought a elliptical machine and started to lift weights ?️ .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t gone through each shot, but Why did you need that first mag change? That first mag change was very slow and it appeared to cost you a lot of time because you moving slower than you could going backwards because of it.  

Your first shot on the second array seemed to take a while.  

Finally, Since you know you aren’t fast on your feet, I would try to compensate by shooting on the move as much as possible on stages that require a lot of movement .

Your shooting seemed pretty good and does not appear to be anywhere near your low lying fruit.

Disclaimer:  I am still pretty new to this game so take my advice for what it is worth.

1.  Slow out of the holster
2.  Bad reload location.    Why did you reload twice?  I would have reloaded rounding the corner at the back to keep moving.  
3.  Should have been at least attempting to move a little on those three wide open targets down the right.
4.  This isn't production.  You have a dot.  You have to shoot like you have a dot
5.  Good CO shooters are running nearly open speed.  You have got to transition and move like your ass is on fire.  

• 1 month later...

All that shaddyscott said above.

Adding on the draw look where your left hand is in comparison to your right move them together.

You look to struggle on transitions. Snap the eyes and move the gun with your legs not upper body. Doing Blake drills really helped me with transitions 

Moving up range that way cost you a lot of time in extra movement. If you weren't comfortable turning toward the targets did this stage allow you to start on the other side?  

Stage could be shot starting on any side I would have started on right. I would have drawn to paper targets hidden by bArrels and then back oitna step or two taking the steel. Then jam back to corner to get he rest ofnpaper targets on right. Do a reload moving to left side and shoot the paper on the move and then finish on steel and then paper. Only one reload should have been required and it’s always quicker to do it moving forward then moving backward. And as far as the make up shot go, if you don’t know or call it while Shooting, always quicker to do a makeup shot while ourbstill on target then having to transition back to it. Are you sure your not looking at hits before you take off to next stray? 

Seemed like one reload was three or 4 seconds & another was maybe 3 , granted you were moving but I think you could have saved a nice bit of time. Just slapping the left arm to the mag hard might help a bit and be a pretty easy thing to master. 

I read all the responses and THEN watched the video ...

From the responses, and your current ranking of C, I was expecting a LOT WORSE

than I viewed.

50% of the OPEN shooters ???   Very Nice.    75% of CO shooters  ???   Nice ....

Since you shot all A's (except 4 C's), I'd say you could accept a faster sight picture and

pick up some speed there.

Overall, for a C shooter - very nice    :) 

• 4 weeks later...

putting aside movement.

I agree you only needed 1 reload. with 22 in the mag I would do just 1 load. I think that would have saved you 2 seconds or more.

I think you're overdoing the sight picture. getting a bit of 'sight gazing' going on. When you retreated to the back left corner you sat staring at the dot/target for a good pause before shooting. you need to be shooting earlier into position.

also, consider running trailing the gun behind you. when retreating the way you did. you could have then kept facing to the left and not been quite so crowded against the wall.

the other gain I think is transition speed. 

overall it was a decent run.

the only other thing I could offer not covered above was that IF you are starting on the left side - I would have backed up while facing the other direction - dragging the pistol behind me while looking at the next targets - then of coarse eliminate that first reload.

• 2 months later...

Here's my 2cents so and I'm no pro so take with a grain of salt...

Holster draw was on the slow side. Need to get to a point where you're snapping your pistol out of the holster (safely of course) like it's a hot brass down your undies.

First mag change didn't seem necessary. I would have mag changed when transitioning over to the right side when you have time and not engaging targets. Not to mention, you turned fully to the right when your targets are still on your left all due to the mag change.

Get fully over to the right side, engage the three targets while slow walking, turn and engage the steel, sprint towards the end while doing a mag change and engage the remaining paper targets unless the stage rules calls for hitting the steel last. For the right side targets that close, I'd be slightly bent knees walking and shooting instead of picking a stationary point in order to engage them.

I like to shoot the bottom targets first and ride the muzzle flip up to the upper targets in my transitions.

As others above pointed out, drive the gun to the target with your legs rather than try to turn your upper torso.

Get the mag change speed up. Dry run mag change practice at home... lots. I like to keep my mag changes in the area from my chin to my upper chest and as I'm ramming that mag in, I'm already starting to drive the pistol out to engage targets. One bad habit I have, maybe you too, is wasting that split second looking for the hits rather than already moving onto the next target.

Overall, good shooting and good hits.

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2017 at 8:13 PM, Shadyscott999 said:

2.  Bad reload location.    Why did you reload twice?  I would have reloaded rounding the corner at the back to keep moving.  
3.  Should have been at least attempting to move a little on those three wide open targets down the right.
4.  This isn't production.  You have a dot.  You have to shoot like you have a dot
5.  Good CO shooters are running nearly open speed.  You have got to transition and move like your ass is on fire.  

Good observation! 

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2017 at 8:13 PM, Shadyscott999 said:

This is all good advice. I am not the most in shape person either but I am usually as fast or faster than the much more in shape shooters. Much of that is due to the fact that I am more efficient in my movements and I am always moving. Your reload locations are costing you several seconds for sure. Turn and run when at all possible. Like Scott said, learn to use the dot at speed and you will start shaving seconds off of your stage time. Try to practice shooting without letting your feet stop moving unless absolutely necessary.