Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate, soft shooting .45 load?

vnboileau

My major PF load is a Bayou Bullets 230gr RN over 3.6 grains of Accurate Nitro 100 NF for 740fps.  Just as soft as the old formula Clays if not softer and meters like a dream.  It doesn't have the hot weather pressure spikes of Clays either.  I have heard a lot of good things about E3, but been nervous about no published pistol loads for it yet. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use the Nitro 100 also, but at 3.4-5 and get 740 also. It is like the old Clays, and is very soft to shoot for major. Getting Canadian Clays to major levels is at the top range of the load table weights, and they seem pretty stout to me. I have also used 700X and like it too, but it does meter kind of like oatmeal with peanut butter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2017 at 1:55 PM, 57K said:

WST is very good. e3 and #2 should do pretty well also. I would like to try the Sport Pistol, myself. In pistols other than 1911s I have had to load 200 gr. SWCs to shorter OACLs, but 4.8 grs. of WST with an OACL of 1.240" shoots very well and very soft, it's pretty decent in 1911s also. You can load longer for 1911s and 1.260" is pretty common, or thereabouts. Lyman's data for their 200 gr. #452630 works for most commercially cast SWCs except that you won't need to load as short as 1.235". ;)

What about WST's temperature sensitivity?

On 12/15/2017 at 4:59 AM, stick said:

Softest 45 load I've ever shot was with IMR700x and 185gr hollow base round nose.  Nice and soft.  only complaint....It meters like crap in my Dillon XL650.

I was excited when I started reading and saw the 700x. Then I saw it doesn't meter on my 650 well... :( So what other powders compare well to it?

BTW, isn't IMR now Hodgdon?

Cheers!

3 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I was excited when I started reading and saw the 700x. Then I saw it doesn't meter on my 650 well... :( So what other powders compare well to it?

BTW, isn't IMR now Hodgdon?

Cheers!

700X doesn't meter well on my 650.  Titegroup meters extremely well on my 650.

5 hours ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

What about WST's temperature sensitivity?

I've been using WST in my 40 for years and some in the 45

I load it to 171-172 PF and have never gone below 168 at chrono in hot weather

Just don't get it at 166-167 and you should be fine at chrono, or do your work up in the summer

14 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I've been using WST in my 40 for years and some in the 45

I load it to 171-172 PF and have never gone below 168 at chrono in hot weather

Just don't get it at 166-167 and you should be fine at chrono, or do your work up in the summer

So not that sensitive...

Thx!

WST is certainly temp sensitive, Hodgdon they want can make any claim they wish too,  (I want to add that other then the Nitro 100, I use Hodgdon powders for everything else). Having used WST for about 3 years in .45, I went to my first Nationals, where the wheels fell off.

After the rear sight came off my Kimber and smacked me in the mouth breaking my tooth, I switched guns to my back up Springfield 1911. Had to go re-chrono the rounds, and almost, and I mean almost went minor with the same rounds. The Kimber chrono'd at 172 PF, but the SA came in at 165.00000, and thats because the bullet weighed 230.8. The only difference, (and yes the barrels were different), but the real difference was the temperature. 

The chrono with the Kimber was done at about 72 degrees under clouds. The SA was tested at about 98 degrees, and hot sun. Even if the SA barrel was close to being a smoothbore, the difference is just too great. I also saw the same kind of velocity loss the very next year, at the same place when my shooter friend went sub minor with his 9MM load. He had checked it in the north, and we shot in the hot desert where it failed. Heat causes WST to slow down, and unless we all got bad powders that year, nothing else could convince me more then actual results with me standing there.

As we all know the G30 is amongst other short barreled guns. Do short barreled gunS perform better with specific powders more so than longer barrels? From my limited knowledge it seems a short barreled gun would require a faster burning powder than longer barrels due to having more time to burn..?

For those who haven't used Clays the old was made in Australia and the new is made in Canada.  That is usually at the lower left on the label.

I haven't use the new so can't comment on it.  Have quite a bit of the old and it has worked quite well in 9mm and .45ACP for me for years.  When/if I run out of it I will try E3.

38 minutes ago, 57K said:

Forgot to quantify a couple of things. Didn't mean to ignore IMR Unequal which is obviously targeted at Unique. I do have Winchester powders and use them. Since Hodgdon bought the Winchester Powder Co, they in fact sell these powders. WST, W231 and W748. But they were all introduced well before Hodgdons ownership. Several of their powders, HP38, HS6, HS7, H110 and H414 were all Winchester powders previous to being sold and labeled by Hodgon. W231, W540, W570, W296 and W760 respetively.So the Winchester powders I have I don't consider as Hodgdon. I also use quite a lot of Ramshot Silhouette that was originally Winchester WAP. A situation very much regretted by Winchester later, as well as Hogdgon. Winchester created AutoComp to fill the void with competitive shooters while CFE Pistol is a greater attempt to emulate the role of WAP/Silhouette as a competition AND self defense load powder. ;)

So many powders and so little time!

:cheers:

On Sunday, January 28, 2018 at 2:00 PM, 57K said:

Solo 1000 is a single-based flake powder. It seems to be gaining in popularity.

Hasn't been sold for several years now, so how is it "gaining in popularity"?    Love it, by the way, just not available.

Don

On Tuesday, January 30, 2018 at 11:35 AM, 57K said:

Check the Accurate website. If it hasn't been available for several years, I think they'd know about it and stop promoting it.

I'm not trying to promote Solo 1000 necessaily because I'm sure the new IMR single-based flake powders will also be very good. Then there are a few other brands like Vectan and Shooter's World (Lovex) who make single-based powders as well.;)

They're too lazy to change their advertising.    Tell me where it is listed for sale?   Oh, yeah, it ain't.

Don

16 hours ago, 57K said:

Don, there may be a distribution problem but Western hasn't discontinued it so far as I know, and I have a friend up there who edits the blog and just finished their 1st edition load manual. We talked about Solo 1000 not long ago and data is included in the new Manual that should be for sale soon. I also know that it is made in Spain and maybe there is a breakdown in the distribution chain. If Western can't get it, they can't sell it to Grafs, Midway, Powder Valley, etc. Doesn't mean that it's been discontinued. They had a similar problem a couple of years back when there was a fire at the Belgian plant that makes a number of powders for Western labeled Accurate or Ramshot. Some of them neing the most popular choices for some calibers.

In any event, I doubt that there's much reason to get perturbed about it with the recent introduction of the new IMR Flake powders, and they are all single-based including Blue which would be similar to Blue Dot and 800-X that are both double-based. No easy feat, IMO. Most of the new IMRs are faster than Unequal where its intended market is just as obvious. Target to compete with Bullseye and the others named by color to correspond to the Alliant flakes that are all double-based.;)

Solo 1000 WAS MADE IN SPAIN, and has been made in numerous countries over the years.   Yes, there is a distribution problem, since you can't distribute a powder that is NO LONGER BEING MADE!    Western has been having a heck of a time finding someone to make the powder for them for the past several years.    You can't just replace a powder with particular characteristics with another powder from a different manufacturer with different characteristics and give it the same name, without having potential handloading problems.  

Don

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

Seems there needs to be a reminder of these rules.

I've hid some posts in here...don't let this thread get closed because of not following forum rules.

As an aside, I contacted Ramshot about the availability of Solo 1000. This is their reply.

Andy,

The batches of Solo 1000 that we have received from the manufacture have failed to meet all specifications and they had to be rejected. Solo 1000 has to meet the spec’s for shot-gun and also pistol applications. We hope that the next batch of powder meets all spec’s.

I wonder that so many of you have problems metering flake powders.  In my SDB and LnL, Solo 1000 and e3 meter like water.  So does Clays (old) and Clay Dot.  Right now I'm running loads for SC.  It is 40 cal, WSP, 3.3gr e3, 155gr Precision RNFP.  Every time I pull a case to measure, the weight is 3.3gr.  The only time I get a variation is when I have a jam, or something else interferes with the smooth operation of the press.  I will note I had to polish the Dillon powder bar to get consistent light charges.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2017 at 10:01 AM, kellymc said:

Only fired 30 rounds this mourning but I believe 3.9 IMR RED under a 230 gr blue bullet is the softest and accurate I've seen

Have you chrono’d those loads? Curious where that sits for PF?

I’m almost out of Tite Group. Might try something else. Hopefully, this stuff is cleaner.

32 minutes ago, IGOTGLOCKED said:

I just had a good friend tell me the softest he ever shot for .45 is Ramshot Competition. I hope my jug to be delivered this week.

Cheers!

Man, guess you just read my post...lol congrats you will like that powder.  It is pretty clean as well.