Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Long range rifle options

sean_stw

I'm looking to get a magnum caliber bolt action rifle for long range shooting and would like opinions and choices. I'm looking right now at the savage 110BA 338 lapua since savage has a $150 mail in rebate right now and the price isn't to bad https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/savage-arms/110ba-stealth-338-lap-24in-5rd-black/ or I've also been looking at the Remington 700 Long range in 300RUM which I know is a barrel burner but I'm not to worried about that https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/remington/model-700-long-range-.300-remington-ultra-magnum-26-inch-barrel-matte-finish-bell-&-carlson-tactical-stock-3-round/ the price though is great at half the cost of the savage. I know savage and Remington rifles have a pretty good following and track records but don't know which one of these is better for the price. If anybody has any other rifles or calibers at around $1000(not including an optic) they would suggest for long range (1500yards) I'm open to other options thanks.

Edited by sean_stw

i'm not aware of any matches that allow anything over .30 cal and like 3200fps so just keep that in mind when picking a caliber.

is the "stw" in your name for 7stw, that will reach out and touch someone!

49 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I may be wrong, but isn't the .50 The Caliber for mile long shots?

Oh yeah I'd love to get a .50bmg and would be the best option as far as extreme long range and still having a lot of energy down range but those guns are pretty expensive although ammo is actually relatively reasonable for what it is and not hard to find oddly enough. but most ranges don't let you shoot .50bmg at least not by me though some places have special days just for it.

53 minutes ago, davsco said:

i'm not aware of any matches that allow anything over .30 cal and like 3200fps so just keep that in mind when picking a caliber.

is the "stw" in your name for 7stw, that will reach out and touch someone!

My initial intentions aren't to compete in long range competitions at least not at first its not something that I've thought a lot about honestly, I was just looking for something that I can have some fun with at the range and on a friends property with the possibility to do some big game hunting and maybe some competitions. And though a 7stw would be a great round for what im looking for that's not what the stw means in my user name and I don't have a rifle in that chambering. The "stw" in my user name I got from a book I was reading called Shoot To Win by Chris Cheng the book was sitting next to me when I came up with the name, plus when I do my competitive shooting I "shoot to win" though that's not an easy task to accomplish and in all honesty Im really just hoping I don't get DQ'd lmao.

What is your ultimate goal? Paper or meat shooting?

are you going to be sitting on a bench or toting this around a lot?

Also what is your definition of "long range"?

ive read a lot of good things about the Ruger Precision Rifle in relation to its price and accuracy. 

My main goal is paper but wouldn't mind the ability to use it for big game hunting (black bear) if the mood strikes me. I would be sitting on a bench/prone pretty much 100% of the time other than if I were to use it for hunting and again the only time i'd be toting it around would be if I used it for hunting. as far as what I mean as long range is 1000 or more yards. I've heard good things about the ruger precision rifles also, though I was kind of looking for something with a little more punch to it but I'm not completely against smaller calibers either since my main purpose isn't hunting. I've got a couple local shops that have the ruger in 6 and 6.5 creedmoor and they feel good smooth action nice trigger for a production rifle. I've also looked at the savage offerings like the 10/110 BA stealth which is very similar but have more caliber options. does anybody have experience with both the ruger and savage models?

Get the Ruger and be done with it. 6.5 creed or 6cm will get to a mile no problem. .338lm and .50 are retarded expensive to shoot (even when reloading) and there are much better options that either of those two calibers for ELR (extreme long range). I would definitely get in a short action caliber or a 6 or 6.5 and shoo the heck outta it. Don't skimp on the optic, be prepared to spend at least 1000$ on a good quality optic to get you to the distance you want to shoot.

21 hours ago, ParsonsWV said:

Give us a price range you want to stay in. I may have missed it but don't see it. I mean you can pick up a savage reasonably or we can recommend any number of custom builders up to however much you want to spend.

I was looking to spend around $1000 on a gun not including the optic, I'm not looking for some crazy custom built rifle just for something that is already pretty good out of the box and over time if I want to put some money into it to make it a little better like a barrel, trigger or a stock.

14 hours ago, Skeeks said:

Get the Ruger and be done with it. 6.5 creed or 6cm will get to a mile no problem.

That is looking more and more along the lines of what I might end up doing with the more looking I do the more it looks like that's the best option.

34 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

I was looking to spend around $1000 on a gun not including the optic, I'm not looking for some crazy custom built rifle just for something that is already pretty good out of the box and over time if I want to put some money into it to make it a little better like a barrel, trigger or a stock.

For accessories I would go with a 700. I haven't looked into factory rifles for a couple years now but look at what is out there for the 700. Could go chassis or a nice stock later if you decide to. With the ruger I am not sure who is making stocks for them. I do not know anything about the ruger action but the rem 700 is the basis for how many custom actions and gunsmiths know exactly what to do to a 700 to make it shoot.

700 actions may still be the go to foundation for a custom build but factory Remington rifles have been absolutely despised by serious long range shooters for a few years now. Go to some other forums where precision rifles are the main topic and people are allowed to speak their minds about product problems and you'll see what I mean. And don't forget that Remington might not be in business this time next yeat. Not sure I'd want to purchase from a sinking company.

2 minutes ago, ParsonsWV said:

For accessories I would go with a 700. I haven't looked into factory rifles for a couple years now but look at what is out there for the 700. Could go chassis or a nice stock later if you decide to. With the ruger I am not sure who is making stocks for them. I do not know anything about the ruger action but the rem 700 is the basis for how many custom actions and gunsmiths know exactly what to do to a 700 to make it shoot.

That's one of the reasons I was originally thinking of the rem 700 like the 700 long range in 300RUM or the 300WM. I also know some guys also like the savage actions too that was another brand I was looking at which I know there triggers are really good right out of the box.

38 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

I would do a 300WM on a Defiance Deviant action with a Bartlein barrel (or Proof if you're looking to save weight) and AX chassis.  Or if you have the scratch, just get an AI/AX rifle.

That action costs as much as what he trying to spend total on a rifle. Great action as that is what my rifle is built on.

13 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

700 actions may still be the go to foundation for a custom build but factory Remington rifles have been absolutely despised by serious long range shooters for a few years now. Go to some other forums where precision rifles are the main topic and people are allowed to speak their minds about product problems and you'll see what I mean. And don't forget that Remington might not be in business this time next yeat. Not sure I'd want to purchase from a sinking company.

I have to agree with Tony. I bought an R700 PSS with a shot out barrel several years ago for song. It shoots lights out now, but to get it to that point was not an easy or cheap task. If I didn't have a great local GS with lots of experience re-barreling, chambering, trueing actions, glass bedding and installing a detachable box mag, just to name of few of his many quality talents, I doubt I'd have gone with the R700.

I recently picked up a Ruger RPR in 6.5CM. It's a great rifle for the money in an awesome caliber. I put a Magpul PRS stock on it and it shoots as well as the R700 plus the RPR takes several different mag patterns. That is really cool! The 6.5CM can reach out much further than the .308 R700. Not to mention re-barreling the RPR when I need to is no big deal either compared to the R700.

If you really want to go crazy with a gas gun for long range, my GS's latest creation is a re-barreled Armalite AR10 chambered in 6.5CM. I got it back just before Thanksgiving and took it to the 300 yard range at Chilli. I only had a fist full of my hand loaded 6.5CM ammo. After getting a ruff zero at 100, it shot a 3 round one inch group at 300 and I wasn't even working hard to get it. 

AR10 6.5CM 1st test 300 yrds.JPG

Edited by 72stick
add pic

If you want a Remington you'll either get lucky and get one that shoots or it won't. It's basically 50/50. You'd likely spend almost enough to get a custom action if you trued it and all that good stuff. I would say go to a range were from PRS type shooters shoot often and ask if you can get behind their rifles and dry fire or shoot them. Most will not mind as most PRS shooters are awesome about getting new guys into it. From there figure out what you like and don't like (stocks, triggers, reticles, actions, etc.- almost all of that is personal preference). Then spend the money and do it right the first time, shoot about 5 barrels out and you'll be a damn good shooter. Don't ever chase velocity, remember its just a number on the elevation turret (assuming good dope).

as far as some other rifle options whats everybody opinions on the tikka t3x ctr or the bergara b14 hmr both in 6.5 creedmoor both are right around $1000, or is the ruger precision pretty much the best around that $1000-1200 mark? thanks 

43 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

as far as some other rifle options whats everybody opinions on the tikka t3x ctr or the bergara b14 hmr both in 6.5 creedmoor both are right around $1000, or is the ruger precision pretty much the best around that $1000-1200 mark? thanks 

You can depend on a Tikka to shoot and function. The CTR stock isn't to everybody's liking, and many put an aftermarket stock or chassis on theirs at some point. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with the stock stock.

Tikka's are probably the best barreled/triggered action anywhere near your price range. Like perttime said, the stock is really basic and is low on features compared to say the RPR, Howas HCR or the Bergara's but the odds are very good that you'll be getting a factory tac driver that you can always upgrade later if you want.

Edited by TonytheTiger

Ok so I'm gathering that the tikka's are very good rifles out of box, is the Tikka T3x Tac A1 worth the $1550 over these other options ruger precision $1100, savage 10ba stealth $950 or the savage 10ba stealth evolution $1400? all of them in 6.5 creedmoor.

I noticed a Howa heavy barreled action the other day in Creedmoor for $400 range, but can't remember were.  I had a old 700 action laying around, bought one of the Satern barrels from Brownells in Creedmoor. Put it all together and probably have less than 1300 in it and it is a 1/4 moa with factory Hornady ammo. I would not sell it for double the money. The 6.5 is so easy to shoot and the inherent accuracy that it produces is beyond belief.  Wal Mart has 700's for $379 with a scope, Magpul stock can be had for under $200 and the Satern is under $325. Depending on the cost of screwing it together, you would have a great shooter for little.  The barrel, stock and scope off of the donor rifle should bring almost $175 to $200.  Down the road, a better stock and trigger could be added if needed.  I have seen some shooters do some pretty great work with cheaper guns. You may like the MagPul fine and may get the factory trigger were you want it. Something to consider. My Ruger American Predator in Creedmoor is a 1/2 gun with factory ammo and it is all stock. $389.00.  Brownells also sell the Satern in a 308. I have a friend pick one up for a build and reamed it out to a 300 and it shoots awesome. He did buy the M-24 threaded barrel. It is a big piece of stainless.  Slick Guns had the Ruger PRS in 6.5 listed for $999