Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Breaking "guiderods" In Mid-match

sfinney

Otherwise 100% reliable Limited gun started puking about every 10th round or so in mid-match..... was kinda puzzled--- mags, or ammo problem? Stripped the gun apart last night, and find a broken "guiderod of the recoil reducing variety that uses 2 springs". What bugs me is not figuring out til AFTER the match. 2nd one in 2 different guns over the last couple years that decided to give up the ghost mid-match, the first one I couldn't help but figure it out as the gun quit running. This one limped along. <_< Thats it for me, back to a plain steel guide rod I suppose.

ADDED: See below post for details on how it broke... I left details out intentionally as I did not want to bash the manufacturer in this post, they are GREAT company and stand behind their products.... I LOVE the way their rods feels in my guns - my frustration was more shooting related than vendor related, I hate having things break in a match, especially when I don't notice it. :huh:

If this post should be deleted, or put it another area, feel free. :ph34r:

Now in sanitized "lite" version.

Yeah, I have not broken any, but became worried enough to have already switched to a steel one piece rod with a 11# Wolff spring. Good so far.

I was carrying an extra Recoilmaster with me, just in case! Still do as a matter of fact, ya never know, might need it someday, or for that matter, someone who I am shooting with might need it. :o

I swear that one of these days I'm going to manufacture the world's most complicated guide rod and sell it at matches. You won't find it in my gun, but I'll be all too happy to sell it to *you*. ;)

By popular PM request, here's details on how they broke:

1st one about 2 years ago, Open gun, "Light" version, shot about 600 rounds through it and the head broke apart (the Crimped end of the head of the rod), causing basically whole thing to come apart. Gun would not run at all. Replaced it with new one, then sold gun not long after.

Latest one , "Heavy" version in a Limited gun, had about 10K rounds through it I think - the stepped out flange of the front tube (that the larger recoil spring rides on) sheared off... caused large recoil spring to slip all the way to rear, reduced spring weight significantly, gun would run, but was WAY undersprung, finished match with a jamamatic. Will maybe sending rod back for replacement?

I might add that both of these were newer rods that are supposed to be new improved non-breaking variety.