Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun open pistol recommendations

amccallister

I’m looking to get set up for open division 3 gun after shooting tac-optics for several years. Looking at CK guns just due to lack of wait time. I have never shot an open 2011, and I am looking for advice on a full sized, 5 inch gun vs a shorter gun such as the CK thunder shorty.

Is the shorter, lighter gun the way to go since I will only be shooting minor loads? Although I will only shoot minor, I won’t be loading powder puff steel challenge type loads, I still need to be able to knock down steel and crush spinners and so forth. I was thinking about loading up some hot minor loads with Autocomp and 115’s, maybe in the 150 pf range. What say the open experts?

I run a Matchmaster for 3 gun with minor ammo typically. I also have a couple of 5 inch guns that are definately softer shooting , but I don't know that one is really better than the other for match performance. The shorter gun seems handier especially with lighter ammo and runs great. If I were starting over again I would go with the 5 inch guns and not look back.

5 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The longer barrel would feel softer - what do you feel is the advantage of the shorter barrel?

I was thinking faster transitions, since I don’t need the extra barrel length to make major. Since I’ve never shot one, I’m just speculating. Thanks for the reply.

I shot a few shorties. I really like my 5" open 2011.  I also like the plastic grip for weight savings. I am a fan of the the safari land holster., as long as there isn't any hot reholstering. ( Which I am not a fan of anyhow)  I usually run major, or close to major in 3-gun. The extra power comes in handy for various stubborn steel targets.

I had a matchmaster as well which i ended up giving to my old man, I now have 2 full size open 2011's.  I'd go with the full size, don't really see much of a difference transistion wise from the shorty and full size and the weight isn't really that big of a deal.  With major loads the shorty is definitely a lot snappier, but with minor it was ok.  I'd still recommend full size 

19 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: How about a carry optics setup? Slide mounted dot on a production gun. Cheaper and you will have more holster options. Thanks, Eric

Going from an Atlas custom iron sight gun to a production type gun with a dot isn’t going to happen, I love me some 2011s. I do have a DVC Tactical that I considered getting milled for a slide mounted dot. It even has a threaded barrel so I could probably add a comp pretty easily. I’m just concerned with durability with slide mounted, and I really like the gun as it is, I would hate to mess with it since I can afford another gun (just don’t tell my significant other I said that).

Hello: Then why not just shoot your Limited gun for now without a dot? Going to a full size open pistol and loading 9mm for it as well as a good retention holster is going to put a dent in the budget. If you can do it I would get a full size 9mm open pistol and don't look back. Thanks, Eric

Thanks for the replies Eric. If my shotgun arrives before I get a pistol I will definitely shoot my iron sight gun in Open for local matches. Sounds like the general consensus is to go with the full size gun. Any thoughts on steel grip vs plastic (specifically on the CK open guns)? They’re not too much more expensive with a steel grip. I have a PT grip on my Atlas gun and really like it, not sure how it would feel on an open gun.

I'm a fan of full sized 1911/2011.  The full 5" size you are referring to is acually a 5.4" gun.  That's the length of the threaded barrel.  I would not go the shorty route, but I'd seriously consider a 'semi-shorty' like the Atlas 5" threaded barrel with chopped and stroked slide.  BTW, a good minor load that works the comp is 115gr HAP over 5.4gr WAC or Silhouette.  Makes 15-0+PF, depending on barrel/comp/holes.  A full sized lets you run a lighter slide and recoil spring.

On 12/2/2017 at 10:32 AM, amccallister said:

I was thinking faster transitions, since I don’t need the extra barrel length to make major. Since I’ve never shot one, I’m just speculating. Thanks for the reply.

It's not gonna matter.  It's what you like.  Full size barrel length is not needed to shoot major.  Shortys go major easy and can still be flat as you want.  Shortys don't transition faster but lighter guns in general transition easier.  But shortys can be heavier than full sizes and full sizes can be lighter than shortys.  The reciprocating mass, balance, and bulk in the hand make the biggest difference between the two. 

The point is, there's no answer.  Buy one, wear it out.

Ended up buying a DVC open that I found locally. I am aware that lots of people have had issues with them but I figured any problems can be fixed pretty easily. I shot about 300 rounds through it today of 6.5 grains WAC with an Xtreme 115 HP. I didn’t have any malfunctions but ejection is pretty erratic, I’m going to order an Aftec and see if that helps, but I guess if the gun runs it runs and I should be happy. Worst case I’ll order an offset scope mount, I’m really not wanting a 90 degree.