Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 700 Magpul

usmc1974

I fingered one in a gunshop. It was a $400 barreled action in a $250 stock selling for $950, with the trademark garbage trigger that felt akin to snapping an infant's femur. Too little too late, Remington's preferred business model. No wonder they're about to go under.

46 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I fingered one in a gunshop. It was a $400 barreled action in a $250 stock selling for $950, with the trademark garbage trigger that felt akin to snapping an infant's femur. Too little too late, Remington's preferred business model. No wonder they're about to go under.

Is not the trigger not adjustable? you don't think with good ammo it could go 1200 yards

Yes the X Mark trigger is adjustable. It's still designed by a laywer at it's lightest setting.

If you get a good one I'm sure it can shoot as far as you want but the odds are against you when buying a Remington these days. And when there's Tikka's and Bergara's and Howa's all shooting circles around the 700 and at much better prices, why take the chance?

I know you don’t like what you are hearing, but you are being steered in the right direction. The magpul stock is not that great. Remington quality has really gone down hill. The Remington trigger is one of the first things that will need to be replaced. If you really get into precision shooting the stock will soon follow. Then the barrel as it will likely not shoot to your expectations.

However for almost the same price you can get the howa HCR which is a decent barreled action in a nice chassis. Buy the howa...shoot it as it is. When you are ready to upgrade buy a full custom or a desert tech.

I noticed a Howa heavy barreled action the other day in Creedmoor for $400 range, but can't remember were.  I had a old 700 action laying around, bought one of the Satern barrels from Brownells in Creedmoor. Put it all together and probably have less than 1300 in it and it is a 1/4 moa with factory Hornady ammo. I would not sell it for double the money. The 6.5 is so easy to shoot and the inherent accuracy that it produces is beyond belief.  Wal Mart has 700's for $379 with a scope, Magpul stock can be had for under $200 and the Satern is under $325. Depending on the cost of screwing it together, you would have a great shooter for little.  The barrel, stock and scope off of the donor rifle should bring almost $175 to $200.  Down the road, a better stock and trigger could be added if needed.  I have seen some shooters do some pretty great work with cheaper guns. You may like the MagPul fine and may get the factory trigger were you want it. Something to consider. My Ruger American Predator in Creedmoor is a 1/2 gun with factory ammo and it is all stock. $389.00

My savage model 11 trophy Hunter  22"barrel with Hogue over molded full length aluminm bedded stock and turn way down trigger is about 1/4 moa. Just can't 10 round mags.

Edited by usmc1974

You might have better luck with your xmark triggers than I do, but almost all of mine are sitting in a box.   I couldn't adjust any of them below 4#.  Not bad for a hunting rifle, but not great for little groups either.  The magpul stock is better than the factory, but not as good as a grayboe, mcmillian or chassis system.   Shoots about as well as a B&C stock with the barrel floated.   All my older 700s with new triggers and stocks were sub 1" guns, even with factory barrels.    The last one I bought a couple of years back is in now in a magpul stock with the xmark and I can't get sub 1" in it, even with tailored loads.

If you just want a shooter without dreams of going custom, there are better.

If this is a foundation to build from, a 700 action getting trued is only slightly cheaper than getting a real custom action out of the gate, and the custom will be 10x slicker, smoother and better machined than the 700.  

I'm only building off 700s to use up existing actions.  Without that sunk cost, I'd never be spending the money on one as a base.   

If you can afford it a custom action like Surgeon, Defiance, Impact 737r, Curtis Customs Axiom, etc. are the only way to go. If you'd rather build a rifle slowly, you can't beat a 700. The aftermarket.... market is huge and parts are more than readily available.