Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for loading .45ACP in Revolver IDPA?

idleclamp

16 hours ago, K-Texas said:

For recreation or competition, USPSA is a good thing. I remember back to when this forum's namesake was first drawing attention and I looked forward to reading every article he wrote.

IPSC gave us the power factor values without any pretension of being something there weren't. Events like the Steel Challenge or Bianchi Cup are also things I'd still like to try.  I was around when IDPA got started, and the truth is that there was some contention with USPSA. IDPA offered a way to get defensive practice, but turned around and used the gaming load power factors of IPSC.

Any shooting time someone can get is a positive. Shooting is a perishable skill. With the costs associated with competitive shooting, I think many would do well to consider Training at the various academies around the country as often as possible. There are some good ones.

I know the point you're trying to make regarding ammo at near the same PF levels, but they're hardly the types of loads I would recommend for defensive carry. And I would encourage anyone selecting defensive ammo to verify the loads velocity by chronographing. They seldom match the advertised velocity where the exception seems to be the "boutique" ammo-makers like Double-tap, Underwoods and Buffalo Bore.

I do a good bit of ballistic research and I highly recommend getting a handle on things like Momentum and Sectional density. And as far as female shooters, I would not recommend a 151 PF 165 gr. JHP .45 ACP load when they would do better to choose a 9mm 147 gr. JHP. For 151 PF, such a load would need 1027 FPS while most are loaded to 1000 FPS or less, and unfortunately, Federal dropped their 147 gr. HST +P. But the thing here is that a 147 gr. .355" bullet has greater sectional density than a 230 gr. .451" bullet. Sectional density being a great contributor to penetration. My current defense loads are handloads, and because I live in Texas where when a shooting is deemed justifiable . . . end of story. I don't advocate that for anyone else and you must know the political environment you live in. But you still have the option of some very effective "factory" loads from the smaller companies I mentioned. I happened to obtain both the 124 gr. and 147 gr. HSTs as pulled bullets. My 124 gr. load chrono's 1250 FPS while the 147 is at 1125 FPS. 155 and 165 PF respectively from a 4.5" 30 oz. pistol with both being thoroughly tested, as well as the same weight Gold Dots.😉

Likewise to you.

All of this has zero relevance with the thread topic.  But I'm sure you feel better now.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, idleclamp said:

All of this has zero relevance with the thread topic.  But I'm sure you feel better now.

Then maybe I should apologize for making an assumption. With your original post being 11/30/17 and no activity on the thread except for one post between 2/28/18 and 2/6/20, I figured you had resolved the issue.🤤

Edited by K-Texas

21 hours ago, K-Texas said:

Then maybe I should apologize for making an assumption. With your original post being 11/30/17 and no activity on the thread except for one post between 2/28/18 and 2/6/20, I figured you had resolved the issue.🤤

Oh, so then you’re just trolling. Got it.