Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
idleclamp

Powder for loading .45ACP in Revolver IDPA?

Another "not what you asked for"  My load for a 5" 625 USPSA Major

5.7 gr Red Dot
185 gr Berry's HBRN plated.

Clean, accurate, soft.

What’s the velocity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VV N310 is top shelf. I use Clays and have for years because I have over 40# of it. But the Clays recipe is not what it once was since the original factory burned down. It's now made in Canada and the newer stuff does not seem as consistent. When my Clays stash runs out, I'll probably switch to VV.

1 hour ago, idleclamp said:

What’s the velocity?

It chrono'd around 172 PF, so 185 gr bullet at 930 fps.

I'm in the same boat with a brand new 625 PC.  I plan to use 200 gr. RN or 230 gr. RN Bayou Bullets.  I have an ample supply of Clays on hand.  Any suggested powder weights for IDPA?  Thanks much. ELN

I'm in the same boat with a brand new 625 PC.  I plan to use 200 gr. RN or 230 gr. RN Bayou Bullets.  I have an ample supply of Clays on hand.  Any suggested powder weights for IDPA?  Thanks much. ELN

I don’t have it in front of me, but IIRC I used 3.8 of Clays under a 230 plated bullet. I’m pretty sure I was making Revo PF. Have to look at my notes.

I’ve given up on HP-38. Stuff is too damn dirty. I’m loading wit TG and N310 because that’s what I have. Just received 1lb of WST. Gonna try that at some point as well.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:10 PM, BlueBulletBeaker said:

VV N310 is top shelf. I use Clays and have for years because I have over 40# of it. But the Clays recipe is not what it once was since the original factory burned down. It's now made in Canada and the newer stuff does not seem as consistent. When my Clays stash runs out, I'll probably switch to VV.

Naw, they fixed the fire damage a while back.

The real reason Hodgdon went to IMR for something to call Clays was that ADI had announced they were going to replace the powders sold here as the Clays series.  Similar but not identical. 

Note also that they are now getting something they call 700X from Alliant.  Rumor has it that this move is due to reports of poor quality from shotgunners.

Edited by Jim Watson

On 12/5/2017 at 9:30 AM, Jim Watson said:

I am loading .45 Rev E and .45 Minor with Bullseye. 

A lot of the other powders I tried gave erratic velocity in light loads and left unburnt granules to get under the extractor. 

If I were going to get tough with it, I would try N310.  Good enough for the USMC. 

Also good enough for the Army marksmanship team(AMU) they have been using n310 for years