Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite AR

Flexmoney

I like a good trigger.  I prefer Accuracy Speaks single stage trigger kit on my ARs although the Milazzo, JP, and Jewells are all good.  I think single stages are better than double stages for IPSC (but not by much).

As for comps, I really like shooting a JP but I hate looking at one! Plus they are not legal under the new  Limited rules or under SOF rules.  I also like the newer version of the Accuracy Speaks Jakenator and the Bushmaster Mini Y, both of which are SOF/Limited legal.  

Open class AR seem to have a wide variety of sights.  If I were only to have one, I would have a Leupold 1.5 - 5X.  That is flexible enough for nearly every situation. Some very good shooters rely solely on low powered variables.  Some however rely solely on dot sights. My gun has a Leupold 3-9X on an Accuracy Speaks extended rail (yes, Derrick and Jake run my life) and an Aimpoint w/ a 5 MOA dot mounted on the handguard at about 2 o'clock.  For a limited gun, I like a National match front sight and a same plane rear apeture but I seem to be one of the few shooters who likes to switch apetures from big to little.

You should have a free floating handguard. W/ Iron sights, I like to shoot w/ a sling if the stage allows.  I firmly believe that the highpower or Ching sling significantly allow one to engage targets both more accurately and more quickly from the prone position IF YOU CAN START W/ THE SLING ON YOUR ARM which some matches allow - some don't.  I seem to be in the minority w/ this view however.  

As factory guns go, I think the ASA Open and Limited rifles are a big step in the right direction.  they seem to be pretty well thought out.

In triggers, I have a Zitta trigger on one, and (my mind is going blank) a gunsmith from the Northeast did the other.  they both date from before the modern match triggers, and both are going fine.  In comps, the king of the hill in teh Great Lakes region is the Bruce McArthur.  I don't hink it passes for Limited, but I haven't measured it.  Scopes, I have a Leupold 3.5-10 on one, and a Leupold 1.75-6 on the other.

The handguards are standard, no bipod, no red-dot.  So, I'm a dinosaur.

I have the parts but no time to build a flat top with floating handguard.  Someday.....

Patrick

• 4 months later...

Kelly...I didn't pay attention to your response about having the same plane elevation for the rear sight aperture, and got burned today at a local rifle match... I see a sight listed in the Accuracy Speaks catalog and was wondering if you know of any other sources?  regards (I am putting the Holo sight on, but want a quality limited rifle anyway) regards