Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production rules Nov 28 meeting agenda?

IHAVEGAS

Anybody got any scoop or an idea when we will know results of the Nov 28 board meeting? I'm assuming it happened, saw agenda & etc on the USPSA website. 

Personally hoping we can get away from "well there was a thread on Enos that said you could" and that they have dealt with the 'some CZ's will shoot double action with the thumb safety on' thing. 

I am absolutely only guessing, but here goes.

1. I get the perception that there are certain members of the org who feel "something needs to be done" about the Production rule set, specifically concerning what is legal as far as the gun itself goes. When the "do something" feeling is strong enough, it sometimes leads to a "do anything" action. A little concern that is natural from our part.

2. Production, but the org's own numbers, is a very close second place in size and activity to Limited. A change in equipment rules could have an effect on one of the largest groups in the org. The potential for second order effect here is huge. Another reason for concern, the magnitude.

So what do I guess could happen? I'm going to go with what most would consider a bad outcome. No change to mag limits to mirror IPSC Prod. A clean slate wipe of previous rulings and amendments concerning what things can be done to a gun on the list. Retroactively causing some people to remove some of their parts and possibly be out $200 or so depending on what they've done. And finally there will be people who now have a gun no longer applicable in the rule set. Hello Limited minor, Limited 10 minor I guess. But they'll gamble that the 50 or so people who have to buy a new gun won't ruin the org. And that if 500 people need to buy a new hammer or other different external part they will complain but they'll do it.

Total wild azz guesses on my part.

Edited by rowdyb

I don't care about production, but imho the results of part-time prod shooters using crappy plastic guns in the last few nats indicates that maybe all the restrictions aren't actually doing anything worthwhile except preventing people from spending money (maybe that's worthwhile to their wives, lol). I think production would only get more popular if they made the rules LESS restrictive, so that someone who starts out with a $600 gun can gradually tinker with it as desired instead of just throwing it away and buying a custom-shop race 'production' gun. Honestly, the lame rules are a big part of why I switched to SS.  10 rounds, minor scoring, DA/SA or striker fired, no magwells, git 'er done. Easier enforcement, less annoyance, no effect whatsoever on competitive equity, what's not to like?

I don't care about production, but imho the results of part-time prod shooters using crappy plastic guns in the last few nats indicates that maybe all the restrictions aren't actually doing anything worthwhile except preventing people from spending money (maybe that's worthwhile to their wives, lol). I think production would only get more popular if they made the rules LESS restrictive, so that someone who starts out with a $600 gun can gradually tinker with it as desired instead of just throwing it away and buying a custom-shop race 'production' gun. Honestly, the lame rules are a big part of why I switched to SS.  10 rounds, minor scoring, DA/SA or striker fired, no magwells, git 'er done. Easier enforcement, less annoyance, no effect whatsoever on competitive equity, what's not to like?

+1... we all know it’s the shooter and not the gun making the difference. Who cares if someone puts a different trigger on their Glock??? The start condition in DA and the lack of a magwell are what separate Production to the largest degree. 10 rd limitation is soon thereafter but it’s not like there aren’t other low cap divisions. Keep the rules simple so it’s easier for new shooters to understand and for RO’s to enforce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let the tinkerers tinker!  There is already a gear race, that will never change.  Letting people improve their cheaper guns will allow their gear to run with the already legal custom shop guns.  The best shooters will continue to win. No one would lose anything if the rules were relaxed.  Returning the rules to the apocryphal "original intent" of production would seriously piss off a lot of people and hurt the org.  Keeping things as-is would just be turning a blind eye to a real problem in the production gear rules as they stand.  To paraphrase what I heard a shooter say at the last match I shot, "The real value of USPSA organization is it's ruleset".       

Double action is not a requirement. The M&P and XD are both single action striker fired systems.

Valid point... I was thinking more how you could shoot the same DA/SA gun (like a CZ) in limited but for that division could start hammer cocked and safety on. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The minutes have been posted and they are pretty vague on the subject. It also says that the board will discuss the issue more by email and revisit it in 2018. Sounds like if you want to provide input , then its time to put together emails to the directors.

20171128.pdf