Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun tricks

For Limited, you'll want a 8+1 tube. Get an EasyLoader gate. Bead or beads, rifle sights, or ghost ring sights, whatever you prefer. (But you will have to make some accurate slug shots.) 1.125 ounce trap loads.

Interchangeable chokes are a nice option.  Cylinder bore won't cut it so I would avoid that at all costs.  Most stages seem to be shot w/ improved cylinder or modified.  Choke and shot weight (greater than one ounce) seem to be more important than actual shot size.  I generally shoot 7 1/2s but sometimes switch to 6s if the shots are long but again a tighter choke is better for longer shots than increasing pellet size.

I like ghost rings.  I have trouble shooting slugs well w/ a bead and I don't lose much - if any -speed when shooting shot.

Buchanan Bag Works in Scottsdale, AZ makes some trick shot shell holders.  You can have shells on your arms, waist, chest, thigh, shotgun.  Just about anywhere.  You can have so many shells on that if you fall you can't get up! These are a must have item!

extended safeties and trigger jobs are nice but not essential.

Jon,

Quite a few top guys prefer the Williams peep sight for the rear. The make an aperture sight - basically you through out the aperture and use it as a ghost ring. Mount it low, so you look right down the barrel like you would if you were shooting only a bead. As far as the bead, use a nice fiber optic like a "HiVis" - you'll be all set. Stay away from any super-tricky apertures for the shotgun; there is some overkill going on.

be

I've got a Williams fiber optic on the front of my rifle-sighted 1100. I wish it were larger. Nice for slug shots but a little slow on the steel and it seems to get lost, even with the Ashley Express rear sight I've got.

There used to be a rule, maybe a SOF rule?, that mag tubes couldn't extend more than an inch beyond the barrel, but I don't think it's in the current USPSA rules. It might look funny but it might handle well. I talked to an Open shotgunner at the 3GNats who said he loved a shorter barrel. Anyway, about a 22" barrel would be about even with an 8+1 tube on a Limited Remington. I use a 21" with an extended choke.

I strongly agree with what Kelly said about chokes and payload. You don't need high-base high-dollar #4 pheasant loads to take down the steel.

SOF and its spin off - the WORLD (!!!!!) Tactical 3-Gun Championship - allow a maximum of 22 inches for the shotgun barrel.  USPSA/IPSC only has a max round count as Brian mentioned.  Once I get my Benelli set up for SOF, I expect that it will hold 12 rounds (10 round magazine, 1 on the follower and 1 in the chamber).  It won't be Limited Legal in that config.

• 1 month later...

Kelly, while on the shotgun subject---how are you setting up your Benelli? I have 2, a 24" open gun w,optima and a 21" gun that started with a ghost ring cyl choke barrel but now has a ribbed barrel w/bead.

Do you think the optical sight is better on the receiver or on the barrel? I think back by the eye is quicker but the barrel mount gives you a non shifting sight from barrel movement in the receiver.

Bill Hearne

Thanks Bonedaddy!  Of course, Yamil gets a picture of my worst stage but at least I did not screw up the reload.

Right now the benelli is a stock M1 practical w/ an aimpoint mounted as far forward on the weaver rail as possible.  I like Mike Voight's setup w/ the optima mounted low on the receiver but I'll stick w/ the aimpoint.  I've always shot an aimpoint mounted on the receiver (copying 3-gun guru Jake Kempton's setup) and have seen no burning reason to change it.  Maybe it's just because I'm used to it but I prefer the receiver mount over the barrel mount.  It seems more sturdy.  It also seems faster.  I've shot shotguns w/ optimas and holosights mounted on the barrel but I've never liked them as much although it's difficult to articulate why.

for SOF, I hope to get a 21inch barrel and place a post front sight w/ a fiber optic on it (I hate benelli's factory front sight - too fat).  I intend to use the factory rear sight.  I'll put an extended improved or modified choke in it (to get the barrel to 22 inches).   If I can't do that in time, I'll shoot my Kempton built 1187.

John...a lot 11-87's at the NC tactical 3gun had the 21inch special purpose barrel (vent rib-Rem choke) and they worked well.  The liability of the 1187/1100 is the bolt carrier link (tuning fork) and the 1100 has a thinner extractor.  I think the new one piece gas ring has solved the ring problem.  Might have to open up the gas ports a drill size or so to get the shorter barrels to work with light loads. regards

• 1 month later...

On Benelli shotguns, one can have a live shell sitting on the follower under the closed bolt.  The shell is not in the mag tube, it is on the follower itself.  Once the shot in the chamber is fired, the next round loaded into the chamber will be the one resting on the follower.   A Benelli advantage.

• 2 weeks later...

Benellis are more reliable (although I have seen Benellis that would not work reliably), they cycle faster and they are lighter - I'm not sure that lighter is an advantage.  They also kick much more than a Remington or a Browning.  Benelli also offers much more support for 3 gunning than remington does.

I'm not sure that one is better than the other.  I prefer to shoot my remington (which was reliable at SOF) but I'm going to give the Benelli a try next year.