Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 case feeder alternatives

You could rig up another brand feeder but would probably still have the space issue. I'd just cut a hole in the ceiling[emoji4] If you don't want to do that you could probably rig the Lee case collator to work if you plugged 3 of the holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/27/2017 at 2:18 PM, Loweredchevy said:

Are there any alternatives to loading cases easier such as a funnel or rotating turret for the 650 instead of the automatic case feeder? My basement has a low ceiling and not sure I can fit the feeder so I am looking at alternatives. 

Here you go ... don't know if it is shorter ... they have a video!!  ^_^

https://www.doublealpha.biz/mini-xl650-case-feeder

options...

sit in a chair and load

lower the feeder.  I am pretty sure you can come down 6 inches

move into a room upstairs.  most of the day you are not using the bedroom?

my fav:  cut hole in basement ceiling.  

It don't have to be big.  the hopper can sit on the floor and drop cases into the tube.

I am sure a longer tube can be easily made. 

in terms of cool factor...

make a chain drive to lift the cases up to the press from a 55 gallon drum.

:-D I am still trying to automate my bullet sizing.

if I ever get that going, I'll try for primer collating.

miranda

The case feeder only sits about 1" higher than the primer tube follower, and maybe 8-9" taller than the powder measure. It looks like with a saw and drill you could shorten the mount tube for the case feeder 5" or more, and if you are willing to get out a pipe bender and fabricate a new mount, you could go even lower.

On 11/27/2017 at 4:18 PM, Loweredchevy said:

Are there any alternatives to loading cases easier such as a funnel or rotating turret for the 650 instead of the automatic case feeder? My basement has a low ceiling and not sure I can fit the feeder so I am looking at alternatives. 

I had th same low ceiling problem. Took a pipe/tubing cutter to the mounting pole and drop tube.

Cutting the tube about 1 inch shorter looks like the winner for me. I have steel legs with fixed metal took boxes below my bench so that is not an option to shorten that. I will be ordering my case feeder now with this advise. Thank you again for the feedback.