Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Belt question

mattmann

Quick question for everyone. I currently have a cr speed belt set up that I have ran and like it. I got a 40% off code for safariland from a match and am thinking of switching to els. The downside of this is obviously cost. I would have to convert everything I have to els and my pistol/rifle mag holders would have to be new ones and include els. Is there a significant advantage to els vs cr speed? The ONLY complaint I have is that sometimes my pistol mag holders and rifle mag holder shifts around. They are “make ready tactical” and just have belt loops but I just bought a NERD coffin holster for my new dvc 3 gun and (2) pistol mag holders and (1) rifle mag holder yesterday. I assume they will work just fine for a cr speed belt and will probably work better because the big belt loop on the make ready allows it to slide. I have also seen people add a piece of Velcro to the back of the mag carriers to keep it from sliding. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mwray nailed it above. The ELS belt is king of 3-gun. It's less important for USPSA or other pistol-only matches, but it's still a great belt.  In general though, very few serious competitors in any shooting sport will use belt-slide attachments for that precise reason - they slide.  You'll find ELS, Tek-Lok, and other "clamp" style attachments to be infinitely more popular because of how stable they are.  All of your new Nerd gear can be mounted to ELS clips so you won't have any issues there. Nerd gear is a great choice. All you need now are some shell caddies.

On 11/27/2017 at 9:46 AM, mattmann said:

Is there a significant advantage to els vs cr speed? The ONLY complaint I have is that sometimes my pistol mag holders and rifle mag holder shifts around.

As others have noted already, I'd suggest that it may be cheaper (based on your existing setup) to run tek loks with some velcro on the inside of the clamps, with your incoming items, and that it would solve your problem of shifting pouches.  That said, ELS is obviously awesome.   

• 7 months later...

I have not had to do too much rearranging between stages so I so far have stuck with just the normal bladetech belt and Tek-lok pieces. 

Don't think I have every moved/removed my pistol and holster during stages, nor have I moved/removed the pistol or rifle mag pouches.  Only thing I pull on and off are the shotshell holders since I don't want them in the way if I don't need them for  a stage.

I also use the ELS, and I cannot say enough good things about it - especially for 3 gun.  When it's a one thing only stage, or after a stage and you're not shooting for a while, I'm not carrying around a bunch of extras, making it more comfortable and lighter.  You can also use other things with it - I have a bladetech pistol holster that attaches to it the same way it would any other belt, never had an issue.  You can also convert most, if not all, of your current accessories (mag pouches, shot shell holders, etc) by just buying the safariland plate sets.  I have 2 sets of $15 uncle mikes 2 mag holders that I put safariland plates on and it works great, taccom shell holders, same deal.

Yes, it is more expensive,  but in my opinion, there's a very good reason why you see so many people with the ELS belt... it's great, and very convenient.