Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading 2011 mags

Dirtchevy841

i do like loading the nite before, just one less thing to do at or before the match.  when i do, i generally leave a couple rounds out and top off at the match, just to not put too much stress on the mag.  from my understanding of springs, it's not leaving them compressed that wears them out, it's compressing and decompressing them.

I always load mine at home before the match. It's much easier to load them sitting at a table, rather than at the range. Easier to keep track of the number of rounds in the mag loaded too. I don't hesitate to load SS mags the night before. If shooting limited, I prefer to load the morning of, before leaving for the club, leaving a round down also. I often see competitors with ammo, magazines, chamber checkers, sprawled out on the range getting ready. I have enough trouble getting my head together, without one more distraction.

I load all mags fully the day before.  I use MBX mags and one gen 1 Infinity with TTI guts and have no problems.  Springs and followers get changed once a year, so they don't have time to wear out.

36 minutes ago, zzt said:

I load all mags fully the day before.  I use MBX mags and one gen 1 Infinity with TTI guts and have no problems.  Springs and followers get changed once a year, so they don't have time to wear out.

I change springs every winter but still using the same followers since 2013. When Mike Foley was still at Shooters Connection he told me followers last for years. So far, he’s right.

When I travel to a match I load the night before. Just part of the pre match ritual and check before something big. Doing a task when rushed can lead to errors.

Local matches it depends. I often like to dry fire for a bit in the morning before I leave for the match, so I might just wait till after that, but I still do it before I arrive at the range if at all possible.

I know dudes who have enough mags they load them all and show up to a match never having to load a single mag all day. Like 30 mags for the Prod person I know who does it and 12 mags for the Lim shooter. That seems excessive to me.... hahaha. And a pain to properly manage the "full" versus "used" pile.

Edited by rowdyb

58 minutes ago, jrswanson1 said:

I can't enter MCB Quantico with loaded mags, so I have to load them after I arrive. 

i know, that's a PITA.  Especially in 3 gun.  I always keep my PMAGS fully loaded for the next 3g match so have to unload a bunch if i do Quantico 3g.

I know dudes who have enough mags they load them all and show up to a match never having to load a single mag all day.

I do this for rifle matches where mags only cost $9 each. If pistol mags were the same price I would certainly do it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I load the mags I will use at the match then unload them after the final stage. They stay unloaded until I go to the next match.

Unloading after my last stage is required because I fully disassemble, clean, inspect, and reassemble all of the mags I used when I get back home. That is the only way I can ensure my mags will function properly for the next match.