Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ after COF

wingnut

Yes I understand, This is my first year and learning a lot. Just though he should have stop me. It’s not a problem it was my first DQ  it was the next to last stage. Stayed and help past and clean up after match. 

Good that you stayed to help.   

its not unusual for an RO to not need to issue a DQ for a very long time (thanks to good safe competitors) and it may take a few seconds for "what just happened" to register with the RO.  It may have also been a less experienced RO that the splt second it happened it did not immediately register. 

Or in my case, it took me a while to catch up to you. (Which also explains why my old butt don't volunteer to RO much anymore.)

36 minutes ago, wingnut said:

The RO said it was fast and very close and he had another RO verify it. It’s a learning experience and I will be very cautious on barrel reloads.  

I'm guessing the first RO wasn't sure, and so they went to ask somebody else (who also wasn't sure, because they hadn't called it, either.) That's usually not a good call, because he/she didn't really know what they saw.  I'd say a warning might have been in order, but not a DQ.

Edited by teros135

I'm guessing the first RO wasn't sure, and so they went to ask somebody else (who also wasn't sure, because they hadn't called it, either.) That's usually not a good call, because he/she didn't really know what they saw.  I'd say a warning might have been in order, but not a DQ.

I agree completely and would have questioned it a bit further.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:22 PM, wingnut said:

I was DQ after the COF. Half way through they said I swept my hand grabbing a mag off a barrel but left me finished the COF. Should I have been stop at the infraction.

I urge you to go through the RO certification course. It will pay dividends for years. In your case, the RO may have felt it unsafe to stop you at your location in the COF. It is preferred to stop a competitor when the infraction occurs, but may not always be practical. Best regards.

Agree on RO training.  It'd a good thing all around.

But what's this about an "unsafe location" to stop a shooter (and letting him complete fully half of the COF before stopping him)?  Come on!  Just say "stop" and get on with it.

9 minutes ago, teros135 said:

But what's this about an "unsafe location" to stop a shooter

When the guy with the 45 , for some reason it is always a 45, why is it always a 45, spins around and has his loaded gun pointed directly at me, I do not say "stop" or make any other loud noises or sudden movements. 

I endeavor to get myself out of immediate danger, and then I say stop. 

29 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

When the guy with the 45 , for some reason it is always a 45, why is it always a 45, spins around and has his loaded gun pointed directly at me, I do not say "stop" or make any other loud noises or sudden movements. 

I wish it had been a 45 when that has happened to me, always tended to be ARs and Shotguns around here lol

2 minutes ago, tattooo said:
On 11/26/2017 at 4:17 PM, davsco said:
if i'm not sure enough of a sweep or 180 violation while running a shooter, to call it as it happens, i'm not going to call it after he/she is finished.

Exactly....great point

Besides, a safety violation needs to be addressed instantly. The point of stopping a shooter is to make things safe NOW. Two minutes afterwards is moot.

4 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

You forgot to mention the Chip McCormick 10 round magazine

• 3 weeks later...

But think of the stopping power guys. Why would you shoot anything else? :lol:

I dunno, if I'm not sure of what I saw, and any other ROs weren't sure either, that's not very good grounds to DQ someone. All depends though, some guys I want to DQ because they skirt the edge of doing stupid shit and I look for any opportunity because I don't feel comfortable at all with their gun handling skills. On the one hand, it's great to get them out of the game and stop shooting, but on the other hand I gotta figure out how to get them to learn proper gun handling techniques because I want the sport to grow but I don't want to get shot.

17 hours ago, swordfish said:

I dunno, if I'm not sure of what I saw, and any other ROs weren't sure either, that's not very good grounds to DQ someone.

Agreed. 

With any penalty you only call what you are certain that you saw. Any reasonable doubt and I will just tell the shooter after they have finished the stage.

On 11/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, Sarge said:

Besides, a safety violation needs to be addressed instantly. The point of stopping a shooter is to make things safe NOW. Two minutes afterwards is moot.

2 minutes is a very long time in our sport.

Anyway, I had a guy running left to right and backwards who broke the 180 going around a wall...I waited the 2 seconds for him to turn down range (when he was not actually facing the 180) before yelling stop.  Yes, I made sure he was in a safe position before yelling stop.  

I can also see waiting if the competitor is running down/up a hill or through some odd terrain before stopping him/her.

1 hour ago, racerba said:

2 minutes is a very long time in our sport.

Anyway, I had a guy running left to right and backwards who broke the 180 going around a wall...I waited the 2 seconds for him to turn down range (when he was not actually facing the 180) before yelling stop.  Yes, I made sure he was in a safe position before yelling stop.  

I can also see waiting if the competitor is running down/up a hill or through some odd terrain before stopping him/her.

All good valid points. Stop them instantly or as soon as it’s safe to interject.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, Sarge said:

Sarge is right, gotta stop em now