Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
HerdThinner

First Custom 2011 is coming home

My first 2011 is coming home. What does everyone do for break in.  Yes I know shoot it Hahahaha but there is some science to heating the gun up, lots of oil to season the components and barell.   

Shoot Factory or hot ammo.  60-100 rounds to heat the gun up enough but not to much.  Breaking it in.  Use tons of oil during this time. Clean after first 500 or so.   Watch the trajectory of the spent casings.

Am I on point or ?????   

22 minutes ago, HerdThinner said:

My first 2011 is coming home. What does everyone do for break in.  Yes I know shoot it Hahahaha but there is some science to heating the gun up, lots of oil to season the components and barell.   

Shoot Factory or hot ammo.  60-100 rounds to heat the gun up enough but not to much.  Breaking it in.  Use tons of oil during this time. Clean after first 500 or so.   Watch the trajectory of the spent casings.

Am I on point or ?????   

If it’s built well just shoot it. I put 1k -1500 rounds through mine when new. I do oil the shiznit out of them and don’t do a mag dump right out of the box but other than that just run the ammo it’s made for.

edit to add: who built it? CK arms includes a detailed instruction sheet for break in.

Edited by Sarge
Add content

I like to put a nice thick oil on and shoot groups. Learn to connect my system with its operating system. 

4 minutes ago, Jmo2011 said:

I like to put a nice thick oil on and shoot groups. Learn to connect my system with its operating system. 

Absolutely 

12 minutes ago, Sarge said:

If it’s built well just shoot it. I put 1k -1500 rounds through mine when new. I do oil the shiznit out of them and don’t do a mag dump right out of the box but other than that just run the ammo it’s made for.

edit to add: who built it? CK arms includes a detailed instruction sheet for break in.

Thanks for the info.  Hayes Customs is the builder.  

5 hours ago, HerdThinner said:

Thanks for the info.  Hayes Customs is the builder.  

A local builder also told me he considers a gun reliable if it will run 1000 rounds without a failure. Your new gun should probably have a few hiccups when you first fire it. Once those fade away then I would start counting to 1000.

Too many failures up front could be mags or ammo so keep that in mind if it’s having constant trouble early on.

1. Add oil

2. Shoot gun.  Many times. 

3. A.  Wipe crud off,  apply more oil 

OR

B.  Add more oil and let crud shoot itself out. 

4. Shoot gun.  Many more times. 

13 hours ago, Sarge said:

A local builder also told me he considers a gun reliable if it will run 1000 rounds without a failure. Your new gun should probably have a few hiccups when you first fire it. Once those fade away then I would start counting to 1000.

Too many failures up front could be mags or ammo so keep that in mind if it’s having constant trouble early on.

I read the same thing.  I just want to break it in the right way.  I'll keep a count for sure.  I have 23 hours until it's in my hands 

13 hours ago, JRM83 said:

1. Add oil

OR

Good info also 

1. Add oil

OR

This is how I do it. Add lots of oil, shoot many many bullets. Reapply, and continue shooting.

2 hours ago, Gooldylocks said:
16 hours ago, JRM83 said:
1. Add oil

OR

This is how I do it. Add lots of oil, shoot many many bullets. Reapply, and continue shooting.

This.

Claims that certain types of break-in methods alter the metallurgical properties of a firearm are a myth. It's nonsense for both long guns (where the myth is most common) and pistol. 

If it's Cerakote'd, particularly if some of it has made it onto the rails, you'll have some break-in time until that extra coating can get rubbed off.  I had some excess coating on one of mine so I took out the recoil spring and just racked it back and forth for ... a long time.

Hayes Custom makes some nice pistols. Got to see one run at a local match because there was a gentleman in my squad who had one, forget his name but his gun ran like a top. Looked pretty darn cool too.

She Is starting to break in real nice.  The accuracy is insane.  Totally worth the wait.  I think she needs a twin ??

thanks for all the replies. 

This.
Claims that certain types of break-in methods alter the metallurgical properties of a firearm are a myth. It's nonsense for both long guns (where the myth is most common) and pistol. 

So when you all say “add oil” do you mean “add oil” or field strip, wipe down, bore snake and then oil?? Sorry for the newby question. I shot 200 through my new STI dvc 3 gun today and field stripped it and cleaned and oiled it. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, mattmann said:

So when you all say “add oil” do you mean “add oil” or field strip, wipe down, bore snake and then oil?? Sorry for the newby question. I shot 200 through my new STI dvc 3 gun today and field stripped it and cleaned and oiled it. Thanks in advance.

Just the usual routine of adding oil in the high friction areas (slide rails mostly). It's not the worst idea to field strip and wipe out the excess buildup if you have time.

54 minutes ago, Sliv2 said:

Just the usual routine of adding oil in the high friction areas (slide rails mostly). It's not the worst idea to field strip and wipe out the excess buildup if you have time.

I prefer to field strip so I can get oil on places I can't access to with the upper on.  Generally I field strip,  wipe off the crud with a rag,  and add oil to any place where there is metal on metal contact. I keep a bent paperclip,  bottle of oil,  and a few rags in my range bag. 

Glad your enjoying your new baby.

Youve probably got her broken in by now but for others reading this thread:

Lube all the usual spots and shoot until you’ve reached a minimum of 500 rounds. Add oil as needed but don’t clean or disassemble until you’re shot a minimum of 500 rounds. The powder residue and gun oil create a lapping compound that will help smooth out all metal on metal contact surfaces.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:54 PM, HerdThinner said:

She Is starting to break in real nice.  The accuracy is insane.  Totally worth the wait.  I think she needs a twin ??

thanks for all the replies. 

How long was the wait?

On 12/4/2017 at 11:01 PM, assaulter said:

How long was the wait?

Longer than a day........shorter than a lifetime.  

100 mag dumps and it should be good. Put grease in it, grease stays with it through all the dumps. 

How long was the wait?

I ordered their m2 last week. Told me I would have it before end of 2017

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk