Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wood grip to aluminum

jom

7 hours ago, jom said:

Anyone know who can make my custom fit wood grip to aluminum grip? its a perfect fit on my hands but the wood grip start to chipping off I'm afraid it won't last.

So you custom-sanded your factory grips to fit your hands, and want someone to form that shape out of metal?

I’d suggest sanding the entire grip down an even 1/8” and then giving it the epoxy / silicon carbide treatment. The even coat of JBWeld will take care of any chipping, and the grip becomes coarse sandpaper with incredible traction.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

So you custom-sanded your factory grips to fit your hands, and want someone to form that shape out of metal?

I’d suggest sanding the entire grip down an even 1/8” and then giving it the epoxy / silicon carbide treatment. The even coat of JBWeld will take care of any chipping, and the grip becomes coarse sandpaper with incredible traction.

yes i shave it to my liking and stick a grip tape on it and it works really good for years, until it chips off the wood at the inside i mean at the back next to hole where the screw sets. so  i think it won't last long and before it gives up my plan is to copy the whole grip to aluminum,brass or metal so it will last long.

Alumagrips might be able to help you. I know they do some custom stuff. 

I like skateboard tape but nothing compares to a good silica carbide job. The epoxy used will strengthen your grips too if your worried about them chipping. 

Just reduce your grips a fraction of an inch more, coat with thin layer of epoxy (many use JB weld) then apply grit. 80 & 60 are common but I prefer 32 grit (some at 100 & 220 also). 

• 2 weeks later...

Aluminum is over three times as dense as oak wood (to use the one example I could quickly find), so if it's a big grip the weight would be a concern.

Years ago, a guy in my club used a wood grip to make a mold and then cast a plastic copy of it, so that is very doable.   I just don't know the specifics of how it was done.

On 12/5/2017 at 10:17 PM, 10X said:

You could try applying superglue over the areas that are breaking off.  It will soak into the wood a bit before it cures.   That's a known solution for stabilizing fragile wood.

I believe they soak the soak in a solvent, dry, soak again, dry, ensure oils are pulled from the wood and its bone dry, then put it in a vacuum container with a thinned resin and let the vacuum environment replace air with resin, and then remove and let harden.

weight will go up, but the wood turns into damn near stone.