Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 case shuttle sticking

Fellas I have a 1050 super with about 10k through it, setup for 9mm. About the last 1000 rounds I have been having trouble with the case feeder shuttle sticking back and not feeding a case. I cleaned thoroughly, lubricated first with grease and then with oil, and the problem persisted. I then tried replacing the spring with a stronger one, and while that helped somewhat, it didn't fix the problem completely. About 10% of the time it fails to feed a case. It seems like the weight of the cases above in the feed tube are binding on the mouth of the case waiting to be fed.

Any ideas?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I am having the same trouble. Called Dillon and guy I talked to had no clue what was going on. I extended and polished the beveled area on top of the shuttle. That helped a lot as it only happens a couple of times per hundred cases now.

Make sure the top of shuttle is smooth. Make sure you have a full spring not a broken piece. Make sure the roller is not worn and sticking sometimes. I'm using an old RL1050 press which I rebuilt and its flawless on case feeding. I would replace the roller just for my own satisfaction.

I cut a 12# 1911 recoil spring, 2 coils shy of half, works great with my AmmoBot.  Also make sure the adapter and clear case tube does not have any play where it fits on the top of the shuttle.  I use a magnet from AmmoBot at the top of the tube to catch any steel/brash washed steel cases, and a rubber band under it to keep downward pressure on the clear tube and adapter. Works great.

I have also found that the occasional 380 piece of brass that sneaks in will keep brass from being fed into the shuttle. 

I have swapped the original shuttle spring for a Beretta 92 spring cut down by about an inch and a half, and it has twice the power of the original but I still get the hangups. 380 is a problem bit I am getting this with straight 9mm cases

Make sure the top of shuttle is smooth. Make sure you have a full spring not a broken piece. Make sure the roller is not worn and sticking sometimes. I'm using an old RL1050 press which I rebuilt and its flawless on case feeding. I would replace the roller just for my own satisfaction.
Mine was new in July...so nothing worn out yet

Mine gets stuck all the way to the rear. At first I thought it was the brass being fed getting stuck on the next case coming down, but now I'm 90% sure it's the shuttle hanging up on the next case coming down. Definitely not making it to the shell plate. I ground the bevel a little farther left and extended it to a more gradual taper, which helped. Now I'm down to maybe 2 or 3 times per hundred rounds. Kinda hard to see under there to be certain. It does not seem to be related to any certain headstamp and is not .380 brass in the mix causing it.

update: I just went and ran 200 rounds without a hitch, so might have problem solved with any luck. 

Edited by mscott

• 2 weeks later...

Also make sure the top of the casefeed tube is not putting pressure on the top plastic plate of the casefeed shuttle.  If there is any weight from the casefeeder pushing down on it, raise the casefeeder so that there is a gap between the top of the tube and the bottom of the casefeeder itself.  This will relieve any pressure on the shuttle top plate.  That fixed it for me.  Also, don't use any viscous grease in the shuttle as that will slow it down and lag behind your stroke cadence.

Check the shoulder bolt that the cam roller rides on. It doesnt take much of a stuck case to cause that bolt to bend and perhaps bind up the shuttle if the roller is catching in its slot.

Just unscrew it and check it isnt bent where the threads end and the roller bearing portion starts.

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2017 at 11:25 AM, dillon said:

How far to the rear is the plunger sticking? Is it all the way to the rear, or is the rim of the case stopping at the edge of the shellplate?

Is there a trick to keep it from snagging on the piece of brass above the one that it’s feeding?  That’s where I’m having the issues.  Mostly on 9mm. 40 and 223 work great. Unfortunately I load mostly 9mm tho. 

On 12/5/2017 at 12:47 PM, Brassaholic13 said:

If it's getting stuck all the way to the rear, most likely the "Hook" has been bent outwards, towards the ram.

This has been my experience. 

Ive bent mine a few times. 

To check, assemble without the spring and just see how it feels. 

I had a similar problem and found the issue was the plastic adapter for the case was loose and a little worn. This allowed the base of case waiting to drop into the shuttle/plunger to catch the opening of the case being pushed onto the shell plate.

My solution was to tape (I used guerrilla tape, duct would work) the case adapter securely to the adapter housing, thus preventing the case adapter from rising or tilting. Problem gone.

Make sure floor leading to shell plate is clean.

The main issue seemed to be the adapter rising a little bit allowing the brass to tilt more before it drops.

Notes:

Loading 9 MM

Using a heavier case-feed plunger spring did not help.

I polished the plunger with 1200 grit paper to a shiny finish. Really did nothing to help.

I am running an Ammobot and this didn't show up until about 10k of loading, probably after starting to get a little wear.

Try lubing with powdered graphite fixed my sticking issue.  

oils and grease will just gum up and cause more issues.

a little light grease on the spring plunger inside the shuttle on the spring is ok.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but it's what the search turned up! 

I'm having a similar problem. My RL1100 is pretty much brand new but the case feed shuttle is driving me nuts. It will operate perfectly for a few dozen cases and then it will do a few things:

Get hung up and not insert case all the way or not even really move from the "back" position

Insert a case that gets jammed on the shellplate 

Insert a case that ends up crooked on shellplate.

I decided to upgrade from my Hornady AP to the 1100 and the 1100 is great in most respects but the case feeder shuttle is annoying me. I've also seen a few aftermarket  parts like the Entirely crimson Case Feeder Adapter Housing and wonder if these aftermarket parts might be the solution to better feeding. I'm going to go take it apart again and maybe try some of the suggestions above to start with but any other insight would be great. Thanks

42 minutes ago, WSA said:

I know this is an old thread but it's what the search turned up! 

I'm having a similar problem. My RL1100 is pretty much brand new but the case feed shuttle is driving me nuts. It will operate perfectly for a few dozen cases and then it will do a few things:

My Super 1050 came with too much packing grease in the assembly.  I need to clean out the grease and apply a small amount of red axle grease and this cleared the issue up for me.  It does not sound my issue was as severe or happening as often as you seem to be having it come up, but maybe something to check.  I was able to make the stock system work correctly without having to upgrade any parts.

I took it apart to try some of the ideas here but after fiddling around with it a bit I determined that the green shell adapter (I'm loading 9mm) was at fault. It doesn't protrude deep enough into the shuttle and so it allows the case above to interfere with the case being pushed forward. 

So I removed the adapter and just inserted the tube, and filled the tube with cases manually (as the tube without adapter is not long enough to attach to the upper part of the case feeder) The tube alone holds 20+ cases so I tried that. Ran through all cases without a stoppage and filled it a few more times until my 100 primers ran out- with no stoppages. 

So I think the solution is to completely dispense with the case adapter and just track down a longer tube of the same dimensions. I didn't have such a tube available so I attached the case adapter to the top of the tube and inserted that into the spring tube holder above and tried running that, and it actually worked pretty well with no stoppages on the shuttle and just a couple of cases hanging up where the adapter meets the tube. A tap with the fingers got those dropping. So it works as a stop gap measure but now I have to find a longer tube. 

I can't see any problem running it without an adapter but let me know if anyone does. I'm not planning on running anything but 9mm on this press. Thanks

On 1/29/2021 at 7:53 PM, ddc said:

Maybe I missed it; have you talked to Dillon tech support?

I was on hold for some time so never spoke to them. I will try again, but I assume their remedy would be to provide another case adapter- which is why I was looking at after market options if they are indeed a better solution. 

4 minutes ago, WSA said:

I was on hold for some time so never spoke to them. I will try again, but I assume their remedy would be to provide another case adapter- which is why I was looking at after market options if they are indeed a better solution. 

Yeah it can be a little frustrating getting through to them these days.

My thought is that with your press being so new there should not be an issue that Dillon will not respond to as it is under warranty.

If the green adapter is truly the problem then a new adapter should fix it. Maybe they let some out of spec adapters get out.

I've also got an RL1100 and loading 9mm and that part of the case feed mechanism has never been a problem as long as I keep up with cleaning.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I am having the exact same problem. I have been loading every day and it has been a non stop headache.  The 1100 was supposed to come pretty much ready to roll out of the box, but almost nothing was set properly. From the priming system to the various dies, it has required almost everything to be reset to run properly. It seems like they are in a rush to get these out the doors and QC is not a big issue.   

I ordered mine in may of 2020,and the website said 6 weeks. It was over 6 MONTHS before they delivered. I had an opportunity to buy a used 1050 at half the price of the 1100  and would have done so had I known I was going to be waiting 6 months.   While I was running my 550s in the intermin, I have  been pretty disappointed with the way things at Dillon have been handled lately.

Not telling you that an item is not in stock, charging your credit card immediately, then waiting months before it ships is not the way Mike Dillon ran the old Dillon. I have been running numerous Dillons since the early 90s, but this last year has been quite a disappointment.