Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jim See’s 40 round practice- PRS

Skeeks

This is copied and pasted from an article Jim See wrote about how to effectively practice while not shooting a ton. I use a modified version of this and usually only shoot 25-30 rounds. 

Match Skills, Practice processes: (40 rounds)

Barricade drills;

Approach barricade, build a solid position, and fire 10 rounds at a 2-3 moa target from different positions on barricade. DO NOT time yourself. Once you can produce consistent hits start timing yourself at 2 minutes. Your goal is to build a solid position first, then engage your targets. Rushing through this program initially won't allow you to realize how stable you can be, when you take your time. As you master the barricade put a clock on it. 10rnds

Prone accuracy training; 

If you feel like you are anticipating each shot with an involuntary reaction, dry fire from prone. Process; set- up and aim on target using a stiff/hard rear bag, close your eyes for 3 seconds, dry fire, than open your eyes. Your cross-hair should still be on a 1 moa target. 

Live fire practice on 200-400 yard targets that are 1 moa and smaller, I like ¾ moa. The shorter range takes some of the wind reading out of the equation but forces you to aim small and follow through each shot. Concentrate on a smooth trigger pull, proper bag and cheek pressure will maintain your aim. This is where you work on your fundamentals of marksmanship. On my range this drill is incorporated on a KYL rack, that way I shoot the bigger targets first to get a good wind call, and finish up with my last 6 shots on the smallest target. 10rnds

Speed drills;

5 targets on a rack, start prone mag in bolt back, engage each target with one shot each in 20 seconds, 1.5 moa target size.  5rnds

Practice speed in conjunction with a troop line shot near too far and back. 3 targets 2 moa, 5 shots in 30 seconds, engage; near, middle, far, middle, near, you will use hold overs. 5rnds
Both these drills will help you learn to shoot with-out thinking about the fundamentals; trigger squeeze, cheek and shoulder pressure, bolt manipulation, breathing, should become second nature. If you have not mastered these fundamentals you will struggle with these drills.

First stage nervousness;

This is a common problem. To help eliminate it, use your practice trips as a real match start. What I mean is rather than do your normal routine of shooting dope or zero, have a buddy run you through a stage; cold bore/cold shooter under time constraints. That’s what happens in a match why would you not practice it?? 10 rnds

The art of building an internal clock in your physical system is totally an act of routine. If you use matches to train for this it will take you years, or you will never obtain the skill. If you practice and set a clock for every mock stage, you will speed up the process, it took me 2 years to develop my internal stop watch. 

Recognizing your weakness;