Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best red dot for carry optics?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Best red dot for carry optics?

• Trijicon RMR
    • Leupold deltapoint pro
    • Sig optics Romeo 01
    • Vortex Venom/Viper

As a part of my ongoing divisional tour of USPSA, I'm in the process of setting up a carry optics gun. 

Before I set up a Glock 17 gen 5 with one of my trusty RMRs, or join the dark side and use a 320, I thought I would solicit a few opinions on the best red dot for carry optics.

I like and am relatively familiar with the RMR platform, and would use this for self defense, but the lack of dot clarity, blue lens tint, and small field of view is a bit off-putting.

I'm seeing a lot of Leupold delta point pros showing up in competition lately, I like the glass quality, and lack of blue lens tint, but have concerns on battery life.

Max Michel is having a great deal of success with the Sig optics Romeo 01 (but he's Max Michel), and I like the field of view, but not the biggest fan of the blue tint.

Vortex optics has a great reputation and I run a lot of their optics on my more practical rifles. Their warranty is second to none, quality is always good, and I like the Razor I have as a side mount on one of my rifles. All that said I have very little hands on time with the venom, or viper.

Any feedback anyone has on what you choose to use and why, or notable issues on the others would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time all.

Edited by Chrishoward1364

I’ve been using a Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA  on a Glock 34 MOS for the last 3 months and have had no issues with it. I used to run an RMR but I couldn’t find the dot easily, not the case with the Leupold. Battery is still excellent!

9 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I’ve been using a Delta Point Pro 2.5 MOA  on a Glock 34 MOS for the last 3 months and have had no issues with it. I used to run an RMR but I couldn’t find the dot easily, not the case with the Leupold. Battery is still excellent!

Why do you think the DPP is easier to pick up. What size was the RMR

The RMR had the 6.5 dot. I ran the RMR on a CORE. I think it was a combination of the smaller glass on the RMR and the grip angle of the CORE that compounded the problem. I think the Leupold on my Glock seems to be the perfect set up for me!

Ran a DP (gen1) on a carry gun for years.  Sold it to a friend with eye troubles and he is still carrying it!

Been running DPP since the price went into the mid 300.00's

Never a problem, never had to send one back (fairly heavy use 1k a month,  +or-)

Like the Vortex cause its profiled like the old DP

Great warranty PROBLEM is people are using the warranty a lot.

thanks for the feedback @jcc7x7, @Jeff_Alan, @dapribek and @Ck867.  

The DPP looks like a very good option, and seems to have the best optical clarity of the ones I've seen thus far. 

what average battery life are you guys seeing out of the DPP ? I've been hearing as much as six months of regular usage all the way over to replacing the battery every match.

Edited by Chrishoward1364

Viper on my XDM with over 8K rounds.

Only issue is shooting straight into early morning sun or late evening sun, you get a reflection of the LED shelf on the lens. Solved it with some strips of black tape.

No mechanical or electronic issues.

Battery life has been superb! A year on the battery and used weekly.

22 hours ago, Chrishoward1364 said:

thanks for the feedback @jcc7x7, @Jeff_Alan, @dapribek and @Ck867.  

The DPP looks like a very good option, and seems to have the best optical clarity of the ones I've seen thus far. 

what average battery life are you guys seeing out of the DPP ? I've been hearing as much as six months of regular usage all the way over to replacing the battery every match.

You can buy replacement batteries for like a buck a piece on amazon. At that price why not change frequently?