Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unlimited/Open Optic Choices

USCSBarney

Eyes are getting to the point that Unlimited Division is on the horizon. My question is what power range scopes do you already playing that division use? I am probably tending towards a first focal plane unless some sage out there has a really good argument otherwise. 

Thanks in advance guys. 

11 hours ago, jon49erfan said:

I dont understand the 1-X for open. You have an offset red dot, why not run a 2-10 or 3-15 instead?

I run open and I kinda have the same thought.  But I run a 1-6 still and I can pretty consistently make hits quickly and consistently out to 500 yds with my good ammo on a 60% target. I think a 1-8 would fare a bit better.   I'd like to get a 2-10, mainly because I use the same rifle for shooting g coyotes and long range plinking in the winter.  So the things I see are.....

1.  Around my neck of the woods most stages you'll be shooting less than 100 yds, with most targets being under 100.  Its easier and faster to use the "top optic" on 1x then to run the whole stage witht the rifle sideways.  

2.  Weight and bulk.  The more magnification you add the more weight per se. Not to mention most of the 2x and up scopes have a larger objective lense. Which MIGHT get in the way rarely.  Shooting through small ports etc. 

This is my experience and my opinion only.

14 hours ago, jon49erfan said:

I dont understand the 1-X for open. You have an offset red dot, why not run a 2-10 or 3-15 instead?

I've run a 2.5-10, biggest disadvantage that I found was a more limited field of view when on 10 power..

Edited by AKJD

On 11/22/2017 at 1:27 AM, AKJD said:

I've run a 2.5-10, biggest disadvantage that I found was a more limited field of view when on 10 power..

Agree, but you dont have to dial to 10. Put on a switch view so it hits the receiver at 6. Assuming similar glass, image will look better when not pushed to the edge of the mag range. Larger objective will allow more light and have a larger exit pupil for more forgiving eye position.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...