Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax Carrier / Lifter choice

FortesInFide

5a0facfa72111_Liftersa_zps76c1d2d8(1).thumb.jpg.906d70f8d6f3930bbfff08d91e6f3771.jpg

I have a Versamax Tactical with monotube, worked over by RCI X-Rail. Their take on the carrier is that you can run the factor one, as that will feed best. I have yet to be bitten, but others that have shot my gun left a trail from their bleeding thumb.

I've also run Taran Tactical Benelli M2 carrier in a previous Versamax I've owned. That one was rather short, and had some feeding issues that (I now know) may have been fixed with the RCI dogleg spring and Wolff +25% extra power recoil spring. 

Just curious what you've tried and are are currently running and why.

I run factory and have never had an issue.
I think of it as a lesson for people, if you are sticking your thumb in the tube being bit will teach you that's not how you load with an opened up loading port.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

On 11/18/2017 at 9:23 AM, GetAwayDriva said:

I have the C-Rums on my versamax.  As long the sharp edge has been taken off the extractor cut, I wouldn't think you would have any feed problems.  Mine feeds great.  

Not sure why mine hasn’t been sent out to CRums yet. Perhaps just concerned over feeding issues. 

Any fails with a CRums one to speak of?

15 minutes ago, FortesInFide said:

So close to trying one of these out.

From your lens it works well?

I've not had any problems with it. I ground the hump off then I got a wire wheel on the dremmel and went over it and took off all the factory black coating then polished the whole thing paying attention to the contact areas.

I also extended the slot in it a little bit to shave some weight off but I don't think it's really necessary.

I'll post a picture of it when I get home.

9 hours ago, GetAwayDriva said:

Once I got my extractor cut taken care of, I do not get ANY failure to feed with my C-Rums lifter.  My shotgun runs pretty much flawlessly.  (Probably shouldn't have said that out loud as I have my last big match of the year coming up....)

What is an extractor cut?

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, adamge said:

Not sure if he ships to USA, but Tactical Ordnance in Ontario Canada has a really nice VM lifter.  It is full length and flat front, and with the exchange rate it might be cheap to buy.

Is Tactical Ordance's carrier as long as the C-rums carrier? 

The extractor cut is the area in the barrel that has been relieved so the extractor can grab the shell as it is in the chamber to extract it.  The edge is usually sharp.  The fork in the stock lifter helps guide the shell into the chamber.  When you use a lifter that has been welded, it is easier for the round to get caught on that sharp edge and not chamber as evidenced by one side of the shell being mangled.  If you chamfer that sharp edge, the shells feed into the chamber much easier.  So much easier, in my case, that I don't have a problem with feeding. 

14 hours ago, GetAwayDriva said:

The extractor cut is the area in the barrel that has been relieved so the extractor can grab the shell as it is in the chamber to extract it.  The edge is usually sharp.  The fork in the stock lifter helps guide the shell into the chamber.  When you use a lifter that has been welded, it is easier for the round to get caught on that sharp edge and not chamber as evidenced by one side of the shell being mangled.  If you chamfer that sharp edge, the shells feed into the chamber much easier.  So much easier, in my case, that I don't have a problem with feeding. 

Such a thorough description, thank you. As a noob, I appreciate the patience of others in explaining these things!

On 11/21/2017 at 9:27 PM, Chriswakey said:

I've not had any problems with it. I ground the hump off then I got a wire wheel on the dremmel and went over it and took off all the factory black coating then polished the whole thing paying attention to the contact areas.

I also extended the slot in it a little bit to shave some weight off but I don't think it's really necessary.

I'll post a picture of it when I get home.

Got your pics, thanks!

I tried to upload them, too, but this forum only allows file sizes of 1.95mb and smaller. 

• 4 weeks later...