Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
idleclamp

IDPA Revolver??

1 hour ago, mcb said:

Love moonclip fed revolvers but for IDPA I just run and old Model 10 Heavy barrel and Comp III speed loaders.

X1hqm19l.jpg

With the bunny fart 105 PF, no more than two reloads on a stage (assuming you're not missing :lol:) and the use of cover I don't see that a moonclip fed 155PF revolver as much of an advantage.

What grips are on this model 10? I'm looking for a set similar to that, as it looks like it has clearance for the speedloader.

What grips are on this model 10? I'm looking for a set similar to that, as it looks like it has clearance for the speedloader.

They are the new OEM K/L frame grips some new S&W are coming with. IIRC those came off a 617.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 2/28/2018 at 5:49 PM, mcb said:

Love moonclip fed revolvers but for IDPA I just run and old Model 10 Heavy barrel and Comp III speed loaders.

X1hqm19l.jpg

With the bunny fart 105 PF, no more than two reloads on a stage (assuming you're not missing :lol:) and the use of cover I don't see that a moonclip fed 155PF revolver as much of an advantage.

I've tried several different speedloader and moonclip fed revolvers over the years, and here's why I use a 625 JM for IDPA:  

-My splits are not appreciably faster with a lower PF revolver.  You still need to hit the -0, and I don't see a consistent difference in splits when shooting clean.  If you want to hose a target as fast as possible, then a case can be made for the lower PF revolver.  Doing plate rack drills at 10-25 yards, or a -0 El Prez I have not seen a consistent difference.

-The higher PF revolver will always knock down activation poppers with more authority.  Grazing hits with a 230 gr 45 still knock down most poppers set for 95 PF in the calibration zone.

-Stages that require retention of live rounds from your cylinder are less error prone with moonclips.

-Stages that require reloading in awkward positions, or on the ground, are also less error prone with moonclips.

-My standing reloads are usually 0.5+ seconds faster with a moonclip fed revolver.  IDPA stages often require a standing reload.    

-There's a reduced disaster factor when all six come out together.  It's rare, but I've had some 38s get stuck in weird positions and hang up the star.

As always, YMMV.  I still shoot several different types of revolver for fun, but if I'm trying to get the best score possible it will be with a 625 JM and 230 gr RN bullets.

14 minutes ago, Alaskan454 said:

I've tried several different speedloader and moonclip fed revolvers over the years, and here's why I use a 625 JM for IDPA:  

-My splits are not appreciably faster with a lower PF revolver.  You still need to hit the -0, and I don't see a consistent difference in splits when shooting clean.  If you want to hose a target as fast as possible, then a case can be made for the lower PF revolver.  Doing plate rack drills at 10-25 yards, or a -0 El Prez I have not seen a consistent difference.

-The higher PF revolver will always knock down activation poppers with more authority.  Grazing hits with a 230 gr 45 still knock down most poppers set for 95 PF in the calibration zone.

-Stages that require retention of live rounds from your cylinder are less error prone with moonclips.

-Stages that require reloading in awkward positions, or on the ground, are also less error prone with moonclips.

-My standing reloads are usually 0.5+ seconds faster with a moonclip fed revolver.  IDPA stages often require a standing reload.    

-There's a reduced disaster factor when all six come out together.  It's rare, but I've had some 38s get stuck in weird positions and hang up the star.

As always, YMMV.  I still shoot several different types of revolver for fun, but if I'm trying to get the best score possible it will be with a 625 JM and 230 gr RN bullets.

The biggest reason I don't shoot my 625 in IDPA is IDPA made 5-inch barrel revolvers illegal so rather than pay to cut it down or buy another 625 I just picked up a used $300 Model 10 to embarrass the bottom feeders with.  :lol:

I find my splits to be faster with minor vs major in either IDPA or USPSA.  Especially on close in hoser stages.

My standing reloads are only slightly faster with moonclips.  My running reloads are much faster with moonclips fed revolvers but IDPA limits movement so much it does not seem to effect me that much.

I have only attempted a reload with retention a few times in a match.  It rarely goes well for me, never as good as when I practice it in the basement.  But I have never been to a match that required it.  Per the rules, can a stage force you to do a reload with retention on the clock?  I didn't think so, but can't find a rule supporting or disproving that assumption.

I definitely agree that moonclips are far more fumble/disaster prone than speed-loaders but my Comp III's have been pretty good to me so far.

I’ve been thinking my next gun will be a revolver, and like many having be 686ssr vs 625 debate. I’m thinkit it might com down to going with whatever I can find a better deal on at the time. I’ve all things being equal for some reason moonclips seem to draw me. Wish I knew someone who had a 625 I have shot a few 686s in the past and found them enjoyable but not sure on the 625

After playing with bottom feeders for the past two years I have decided to get back to revolvers next year.  My 4.2" GP-100 and my 105.14MM 686 will be my two guns of choice.  I shoot a bit better with the Ruger but the Smith is my heart gun.  The gun is just .14 MM legal up here based on current stupid gun laws  so it deserves more work than I have been giving it.  IDPA is a different sport using revolvers and a bit more challenging.  We shall see how it all works out.

Take Care

Bob

My Major Match shooting season is over using my S&W 625JM.  I can say it was a humbling experience, but rewarding.  I’m probably going to start the revolver research all over again to shoot 38spcl next year.  On my 625, I replaced the front and rear sights, put a  Wilson combat spring kit and shaved a touch off of the strain screw.  I also lightly sanded the front of the trigger since it felt a little too sharp.  I had the cylinders chamfered.  I replaced the grip with a VZ, then didn’t like the grooves, so I ground them off and recontoured it a bit.  Then I added Talon tape. I also replaced the cylinder release with a bigger (but still legal for ESR) one.  I did pretty well at the sanctioned matches this year, when I didn’t torpedo it myself.  I’m on my ipad and can’t reduce the size of the pics enough to post them.  Hopefully I’ll remember when I get home.

Here’s a video of my me shooting it at the 2018 MI State IDPA Championship.

2018 IL State IDPA Championship

I am getting back to shooting my GP100 in IDPA.   I will be in the Specialty Division (SPD) going forward.  My Area Coordinator said that anything goes in this division.

My gear:

GP-100 6-shot converted to 9mm with moon clips 

Moon clip server (DAA and Hogue were runner-ups)

TK Custom 9mm moon clips .035 SS

BMT Mooner #L9-6

Speed belt

Blade-tech Kydex Holster

Anglefire 9mm ammo (147 grain FMJ / 138 pf)

1. I wanted one round for bug out purposes (the zombies are coming)

2. I do not reload and 9mm is cheap IMHO

Looking forward to competing with the revo . . .

2 hours ago, uncledoc said:

How is your accuracy with the 9mm moonclip conversion?

13 hours ago, uncledoc said:

I am getting back to shooting my GP100 in IDPA.   I will be in the Specialty Division (SPD) going forward.  My Area Coordinator said that anything goes in this division.

My gear:

Moon clip server (DAA and Hogue were runner-ups)

TK Custom 9mm moon clips .035 SS

BMT Mooner #L9-6

Speed belt

Blade-tech Kydex Holster

Anglefire 9mm ammo (147 grain FMJ / 138 pf)

1. I wanted one round for bug out purposes (the zombies are coming)

2. I do not reload and 9mm is cheap IMHO

Looking forward to competing with the revo . . .

That sounds like a fun setup but I can see why you might not want to make the 150pf for moonclipped guns.  I am surprised that they let the moonclip server in even in SPD.  It just seems too "racy" for IDPA.

19 hours ago, perttime said:

How is your accuracy with the 9mm moonclip conversion?

I am not sure as of yet. . . . the gunsmith  estimated two or three weeks before returning it to me. . . I will keep you posted!

9 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

That sounds like a fun setup but I can see why you might not want to make the 150pf for moonclipped guns.  I am surprised that they let the moonclip server in even in SPD.  It just seems too "racy" for IDPA.

I am concerned as well about the limits of SPD, but I am going to several matches to see what happens:)

I think some match directors will challenge me on the equipment. . .  

I am running North Mountains? in IDPA.  Even though they could hold two each, I am limited to

one in each holder.  Three holders total.  One in front of the holster within 1", with a second

in front of it within 1".  The third behind the hip on the weak side (could be worn on the strong

side behind the hip).  I can double for my LAMR.

16 hours ago, synchronicity said:

I am running North Mountains? in IDPA.  Even though they could hold two each, I am limited to

one in each holder.  Three holders total.  One in front of the holster within 1", with a second

in front of it within 1".  The third behind the hip on the weak side (could be worn on the strong

side behind the hip).  I can double for my LAMR.

That's one of the things about IDPA that drives me crazy and has kept me from getting serious about it.  Like everyone reloads a revolver the same way.  Forcing the holders forward of the holster does not allow you to run a cof and reload with your weak hand.  I don't usually do that anyway, but to not allow it seems so steeped in a particular dogma.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

That's one of the things about IDPA that drives me crazy and has kept me from getting serious about it.  Like everyone reloads a revolver the same way.  Forcing the holders forward of the holster does not allow you to run a cof and reload with your weak hand.  I don't usually do that anyway, but to not allow it seems so steeped in a particular dogma.

Unless they changed it you you can run them in front or behind the holster, or on the opposite side with the same rules as mag pouches. The idea I think is they need to be concealed by you standard fishing vest. I think they could consider changing the rules for placement if concealed by a T-shirt of something that covers your gear all the way around your waist, but I see more people shoot revolver then I see shoot really concealed. I've never see a guy shooting revolver and concealed like that.

I used to shoot Revo in IDPA and did strong hand reloads when I used speed loaders, and then when I moved to moon clips I found I was faster with weak hand. I just reach across, to grab the clip. Basically I just did everything slightly off to the right side instead of in the center of my body.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:29 PM, Racinready300ex said:

Unless they changed it you you can run them in front or behind the holster, or on the opposite side with the same rules as mag pouches. The idea I think is they need to be concealed by you standard fishing vest. I think they could consider changing the rules for placement if concealed by a T-shirt of something that covers your gear all the way around your waist, but I see more people shoot revolver then I see shoot really concealed. I've never see a guy shooting revolver and concealed like that.

I used to shoot Revo in IDPA and did strong hand reloads when I used speed loaders, and then when I moved to moon clips I found I was faster with weak hand. I just reach across, to grab the clip. Basically I just did everything slightly off to the right side instead of in the center of my body.

The rules I read seemed very specific about the 1st two which was my complaint.

2017 Rule Book

8.1.5 Loading Device Count
A. A “loading device” is a magazine, speed loader, or moon clip.
C. Shooters starting with 6 or 7 rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus three
additional loading devices.
D. Shooters starting with 5 or fewer rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus
four additional loading devices.
E. No additional loading devices beyond the above limits may be used during a string.

8.6.3 ...

E. Two speed loaders/moon clips may be worn directly in front of the holster. The speed loaders/moon clips worn
in front of the holster must be within 1” of each other, and the speed loader/moon clip nearest the holster must
be within 1” of the revolver pouch of the holster.
F. The shooter may wear additional speed loaders/moon clips behind the hipbone on the weak side or behind the
holster.

So I take it that one can only have 3 - 6 shot speed loaders or moon clips carriers, 2 must be in front of holster and 1 behind holster or on off side.

Or have I missed a ruling or change?

40 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

2017 Rule Book

C. Shooters starting with 6 or 7 rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus three
D. Shooters starting with 5 or fewer rounds in all loading devices are allowed to start with the loaded firearm plus
E. No additional loading devices beyond the above limits may be used during a string.

8.6.3 ...

E. Two speed loaders/moon clips may be worn directly in front of the holster. The speed loaders/moon clips worn
in front of the holster must be within 1” of each other, and the speed loader/moon clip nearest the holster must
F. The shooter may wear additional speed loaders/moon clips behind the hipbone on the weak side or behind the
holster.

So I take it that one can only have 3 - 6 shot speed loaders or moon clips carriers, 2 must be in front of holster and 1 behind holster or on off side.

You are correct.  Most revo shooters (that I know) have two in front of the holster and one behind.  I know of two people that shoot with all of them behind the hipbone on the weak side.  To me, that’s slower, but legal.

I shoot with two in front and one behind holster.  Additionally, I’ll keep one on the weak side behind hipbone, but that is only to hold the ‘load and make ready’ ammo. So it’s empty when I start the COF.

"May have" is not the same as "Must have"

2017 Rule Book
8.6.3 ...
holster.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, PatJones said:

"May have" is not the same as "Must have"

As I said Pat I don't shoot much IDPA, but my experiences with IDPA have shown a very rigid mind set on the rules.

But you're saying it is ok to wear all 3 on the weak side if one wanted due to the word "may"?

I'm genuinely asking not trying to be difficult.

Just saw idleclamps post.  Reason I was asking is I've thought of changing to full time weak hand reloads, both methods have pros and cons.

Edited by pskys2

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

As I said Pat I don't shoot much IDPA, but my experiences with IDPA have shown a very rigid mind set on the rules.

But you're saying it is ok to wear all 3 on the weak side if one wanted due to the word "may"?

I'm genuinely asking not trying to be difficult.

Just saw idleclamps post.  Reason I was asking is I've thought of changing to full time weak hand reloads, both methods have pros and cons.

You can put them all on the weak side, but they have to be behind the hipbone. It’s not as fast.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:45 PM, pskys2 said:

2017 Rule Book

holster.

To me that means if you want any in front of your hip you need to refer to E. But since E seems optional you can wear all three behind the hip.

You can put them all on the weak side, but they have to be behind the hipbone. It’s not as fast.
Leatham wears his moon rack in that position. He was fast enough to win USPSA revo Nationals a couple times, should be fine for IDPA.

On 10/30/2018 at 11:38 AM, PatJones said:

Leatham wears his moon rack in that position. He was fast enough to win USPSA revo Nationals a couple times, should be fine for IDPA.

Yeah, because USPSA rules are exactly the same as IDPA.

5 hours ago, idleclamp said:

Yeah, because USPSA rules are exactly the same as IDPA.

In USPSA (and IPSC) Revolver, you can have handgun and equipment in front. No restriction for position on the belt.

Yes, and my point was that Rob wears his moonclips behind the left hip the same as his single stack magazines. If it's fast enough for a USPSA championship, it's fine for any IDPA match in America.