Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Revolver??

idleclamp

It's definitely not overkill,  if you intend to run a revolver you owe it to yourself to run a smooth one.   Just remember,  the trigger return speed will soon become more important than pull weight.  I ran an 11# rebound spring all last year and eventually realized a 12# helps for the close range open targets. Too many short strokes with a firm grip.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Alaskan454 said:

It's definitely not overkill,  if you intend to run a revolver you owe it to yourself to run a smooth one.   Just remember,  the trigger return speed will soon become more important than pull weight.  I ran an 11# rebound spring all last year and eventually realized a 12# helps for the close range open targets. Too many short strokes with a firm grip.

It’s funny that you mention that.  When I changed the main spring, I put a 14#  return spring based on some reading I did.  When I got it back from the gun smith, he said he changed out the 14# for the 12#.  He told me it help make the trigger run smoother.  I’ll find out tonight.

7 hours ago, idleclamp said:

It’s funny that you mention that.  When I changed the main spring, I put a 14#  return spring based on some reading I did.  When I got it back from the gun smith, he said he changed out the 14# for the 12#.  He told me it help make the trigger run smoother.  I’ll find out tonight.

i'll start with a 14# main spring is probably way too heavy for competition purposes. 

That being said, Smoothness has absolutely nothing to do with spring weight, a trigger can be smooth with a 11lb return spring, and a 18 lb return spring

Reducing the rebound spring weight is a good way to reduce overall double action pull weight. 

Smoothness and lightness are 2 different things. Lightness equates to smoothness in many minds, but not the same. The lighter the trigger pull, the more different things you can feel in the action. The best of all is an action that is both smooth and light.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the fun side!

I have been shooting a 625-2 and 625 PC for a few years in IDPA. Moon clips and smooth 6.5 pound triggers are where its at.

I never cared how many other revos were in the match. I only look at my overall score most times.

4 hours ago, Wyoming Shooter said:

For those of you running 625s, what loads are you using?  I have a stash of Clays and was thinking of 200 gr. RN or 230 gr. RN Bayou Bullets.  I asked a similar question over in the reloading forum but, since we're talking about the 625 here...

Thanks much.

With Ranier I used 4 clays, with coated/lead it was 3.8.clays.  If IDPA would let you GAP works best though.

It really depends on how much you practice reloading IMO, its def harder to do a fast reload with a speed loader... but with enough practice, I think it can minimize the damage. I shoot a 686 SSR when I do revolver and am decent with reload speeds, I have found the softer shooting 38spl round makes it easier to maintain a good rhythm throughout each course.

I'm new here and not really sure if this is the place for this question but here goes. I just started in the revolver ring in IDPA so now for most places I shoot there are 2 of us now....... It is starting to catch on a little sometimes we have 6 or so revolvers in a match. 

My question:  is anyone shooting a 686 converted to 9mm with moon clips?  

2 hours ago, phantom223 said:

I'm new here and not really sure if this is the place for this question but here goes. I just started in the revolver ring in IDPA so now for most places I shoot there are 2 of us now....... It is starting to catch on a little sometimes we have 6 or so revolvers in a match. 

You need to shoot .38 or larger plus you would have to make the higher power factor since you are running moon clips......

Edited by S391

4 hours ago, phantom223 said:

Have to make major with a mom fed gun. 9mm would be fine, but making major wouldn't. 

8 hours ago, MWP said:

Have to make major with a mom fed gun. 9mm would be fine, but making major wouldn't. 

I've seen 9mm moonclips used in IDPAish matches (just for fun matches) but not IDPA matches that strictly follow IDPA rules . I do not think 9mm is an approved cartridge for Revolver in IDPA.

3 hours ago, revoman said:

Let us in on your secret on how you got your mom to reload or buy the ammo for your revolver. ?

Ha! Moon! My Siri gets drunk on the weekends. 

Edited by MWP

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2017 at 8:56 AM, Joe4d said:

Looks there were also 300 3" models made.  Dont get the unfluted cylinder though.
I bought a 646 with titanium cylinder for IDPA, and right after I bought it, IDPA changed the rules and I had to shoot major out of it. 646 was pretty light I think 28 oz.
So much for rule stability. I ended up trading it a couple years later. Wasnt reliable at major with the titanium cylinder. Rounds would be a bit sticky. Worked fine at minor. Probably coulda goe to a slower powder and fixed it if I had kept it.

Yup, had both of them.  Bought the 4" 610 with the "flywheel" unfluted cylinder in 2002 right after IDPA outlawed  the 5" barrels. Shot that for a year and bought the 646. Traded the 610 for a shotgun in fall of 2004 because of course I didn't need it and shooting the 646 was more fun. Three months later they change the rules and now I've got to shoot major in the 646. #@$%$#%$!!! You're right - those 170 PF loads tended to stick in the titanium cylinder.  Unfortunately a few years ago I had to send it back to Smith for a divot in one of the chambers and they said they didn't have any cylinders available for it and they weren't making it anymore.  They were going to send me a brand new 686 but I already had mine setup and had shot it for years so I had them send me an M&P Pro instead.  Doubt they would have sent it back to me so I could have got a custom cylinder made for it.  Probably someone at Smith ended up with it...

Long story, but the point is we've all gone through several revolvers trying to find the one that worked best for us. Some of us have got there and some of us are still looking. But then again that's half the fun of it anyway...

Love moonclip fed revolvers but for IDPA I just run and old Model 10 Heavy barrel and Comp III speed loaders.

X1hqm19l.jpg

With the bunny fart 105 PF, no more than two reloads on a stage (assuming you're not missing :lol:) and the use of cover I don't see that a moonclip fed 155PF revolver as much of an advantage.