Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Revolver??

idleclamp

Hi everyone,

I want to shoot revolver in IDPA. Which direction should I go? Do I go moon clips or speed loaders? S&W 66? 67? 686? 625? 

I’ve shot a lot of IDPA, but all bottom feeders. Not really concerned about price, just curious what’s the most common, and the fastest.

Thanks!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I started with a 4 inch 686-1 then moved to a 3 inch 66-6. I score better with the 686 but the 66 is more fun. It is currently dotted with an RTS2 on an Allchin mount and I shot it in SPD last September. It was a bunch of fun.

I've shot a 325 a bit but not in matches. Reloads are significantly faster with moon clips than with a speed loader such as the Safariland Comp 3. The recoil is noticably more when going from 105ish power factor to 155ish PF.

Pick your favorite and just enjoy the challenge! Remember to load after six. Cylinders have low capacity so no make ups and plenty of reloading practice!94066bacde48c84de54d3f113deeecaf.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Basically it’s a question of whether you want to shoot speedloaders at 105 PF or moonclips at 155 PF. Pick your poison depending on whether you feel more comfortable managing stiff recoil or mastering the speedloader.

There’s any number of options to choose from in terms of firearms, but imho the S&W 686SSR is a best buy.

GP100 match champion is a good option too if you want to branch out from smith.

Could be fun to run a Dan Wesson in a four inch barrel if you wanted to do something unique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started shooting Revolver in IDPA just this year with a 625 PC w/moonclips because I was intimidated by my inexperience using speedloaders . Started practicing with a 66 4" and speedloaders . Then after a Tier 2 match this year I start shooting only the 66 using speedloaders in my monthly local matches. Recently I picked up a S&W 646 that I would have to load 40 S&W to 155 PF and use moonclips but can't seem to make a fast or smooth reload with moonclips. Shooting the EL Prez I am two seconds slower now using the 646 with moonclips than I am shooting the 66 4" using comp III speedloaders . I had always thought moonclips were faster reloading than moonclips but now I'm not so sure . However, I do think 45acp in moonclips load better than 40 S&W in moonclips and propably just need to practice more with the 646 .

I’m confident that I can get fast with either type of reload method, but I’ve never tried to run a revolver on the clock.

I guess it sounds more like it’s preference. When I first got into IDPA and shooting SSP (for example), you could shoot what you wanted, but the guys winning were shooting Glocks. So I started shooting Glocks. These days M&P’s and CZ’s and XD’s are competitive in that division.

In asking the question, I was trying to figure out which was more competitive. A guy that I respect and has been shooting a very long time was all about .38 and speeoaders, all day long. But people like Jerry Miculek are running clips. I guess since they are different divisions that part doesn’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clips and speedloaders are no longer different divisions.  Power factor is tied to charging method, but there is only one REV Division winner. 

The last time I had an attack of revolver shooting, I did side by side comparison of K, L, and N Smiths.  It was all a wash.  The M67 was quicker handling, the M686 held down the already light recoil.  The M25 clipgun was somewhat faster and a good bit more certain on the reload than the speedloader guns but its weight and .45 recoil were against it.  Times and scores overlapped and flip flopped.  You are just going to have to go with your heart.  I feel more at home with the 686. 

One thing for sure, the Python that was state of the art in 1978 was not competitive.  Long DA and soft reset offset its light pull.  Which is not lighter than a good Smith smith can do these days anyhow. 

I used to shoot Revolver, it was fun but there wasn't really any competition at local matches so I lost interest. I shot 6 and 8 shot in USPSA plus SSR and ESR in IDPA making Master in all of them.

If I were going to get back into it now, I would go with a 625 (45  acp) and moon clips. I find the higher PF doesn't really have much effect on my splits, and 155 shouldn't be bad with a 230+ grain bullets. The time savings will come from the mood clips (625 has to be the easiest revo ever for reloads). Your average reload will be faster with moons. But then you also need to factor in the potential problems that come with speed loaders. Sometimes they don't want to release perfectly, or they release early and send rounds every where. Some times a round may get under the extractor, that's a bitch. If any of these things happen once in a 10+ stage major match I'd be wishing I was running moon clips.

I never liked loading all the way down to 105 either, even in SSR I loaded up more in the 125 range. 105 just adds risk of a popper not falling.

They're aren't different divisions anymore. It's all lumped together. 

The moon is a faster reload, no way to change that. Shooting 105pf sounds nice, but the added speed loader time/confusion, and the fact that poppers aren't fond of light loads don't add up to confident runs. 

Poppers fall when hit with 160pf. Reloads are fast and positive with the big .45 holes. With decent stage design, a 625 can almost be competitive with autos in idpa. 

Edited by MWP

I shoot a 4" .40 S&W that I made out of a 686. Couldn't find a 646 I was willing to pay that much for. I find the moonclip loads in it are just as fast as a 625 with roundnose bullets. Using 200 gr. bullets easily makes the moonclip power factor with low velocity/low recoil, and positive knockdown on reactive targets. It's very similar to a 625 with 230 gr. bullets, just a slightly smaller everything.

1 hour ago, Toolguy said:

I shoot a 4" .40 S&W that I made out of a 686. Couldn't find a 646 I was willing to pay that much for. I find the moonclip loads in it are just as fast as a 625 with roundnose bullets. Using 200 gr. bullets easily makes the moonclip power factor with low velocity/low recoil, and positive knockdown on reactive targets. It's very similar to a 625 with 230 gr. bullets, just a slightly smaller everything.

Wow! I did look for a 646, all around $1700. I don’t mind spending that much on a gun if I’m going to get a return on the clock. I doubt I’ll get $700-900 worth of return. But building your own???

I've been building my own custom revos for well over 30 years. One of the first ones was a .44 Auto Mag on a M29 with moon clips. This was when the only moon clips were for .45 ACP. Made the brass out of cut down .308 rifle. Now you can just buy it from Starline.

I run a S&W 686SSR in IDPA, and as much as I do like it, I honestly I wish I would have bought a GP100 Match Champion.  Because you don't have to do anything other than a spring swap to get the trigger pull weight down and your done.  Get some jetloaders, and call it a day.

I fitna SDM fiber optic front on my 686, was a pain in the rear. The ruger already comes with one.  I'm going to refrain of a diatribe of my experience with S&W MiM internals also...

First year shooting IDPA with a 625JM.  After springs, sights, grips and finding a couple loads it seems to be coming together.

Reloads are fast and almost completely subconscious with the clips.  I was running a 172 PF to good result, but found a 160

that I just shot a classifier with and made MM with - next year I have my eye on SS.  Did I mention that my only previous serious

firearm competition experience was long distance .50 BMG and I'm shooting as a Senior?  Life is Good.

Just wish IDPA would let me use my ccw revolver.  A 5" 625pc.  When I carry a revolver that's what I like it weighs less than my 4" m29, easier to find both competition bullets and self defense loads.  Note the m29 IS cut for moon clips.  I never notice the extra inch, but will feel the extra weight of the m29.

I've shot REV in IDPA for a few years now, everything from speedloader fed BUG revolvers to max loaded 454 snubbies. My main match gun is a 625 JM loaded with 230 gr RN just over the PF limit, and that's what I recommend for IDPA.  If you are trying to be competitive the 625 is really the only choice. 

On 11/17/2017 at 8:59 AM, idleclamp said:

Wow! I did look for a 646, all around $1700. I don’t mind spending that much on a gun if I’m going to get a return on the clock. I doubt I’ll get $700-900 worth of return. But building your own???

What about a 610? 

Never made a 4" 610 far as I know. And  they are kinda rare. Be a shame to ruin one  by cutting it down.
But to me a 4" 610  would make a good IDPA gun.  Also a few L frame 38 supers out there.