Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

practice gun on table starts

IHAVEGAS

Didn't dq, but came very close trying to grab the gun & run forward at the same time.

Next time I fumbled the grab and bumped the safety on, same situation trying to do those two things at once. GM watching advised me to do 1 thing at a time in this situation. 

So I practiced a bit, other thing I figured out is not to over muscle the gun & slide when starting out with chamber empty. 

I imagine that you could try to make up some time after a slower and more precise grab by pivoting your legs into a stronger position to have a more explosive sprint into the shooting position in certain situations. I've never tried to rush a gun grab off a table but I've been thinking about trying to speed it up significantly. I've never thought about the DQ angle so I will definitely be keeping an eye on that during my dry fire practice.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:20 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Indeed: slip the offhand fingertips underneath the back corner of the slide and lift the gun enough to grip it immediately with a proper firing grip. You’ll be able to wrap your strong hand thumb around the gun this way.

8 hours ago, Topgeer said:

Don't know what category shooting. But in open and limited that's why I like a slide racker gives you that little bit of extra room to grab the handle of your pistol.

Same technique MemphisMechanic described applies.  Racker/Thumb pad, etc.  Same same.