Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strike eagle good for 3gun??

nikdanja

i really want a vortex pst gen 2 (not the rediculously expensive one) but wondering if the strike eagle would be good for 3gun. Putting the finishing touches on my rifle and might want to test the 3gu waters for the first time next spring. 

I run a strike eagle 1-6, and it is a very popular scope in 3-gun. However the PST gen2 is a better scope. under 300 yards I really don't think it will buy it much but once you have to go past that the better glass will make a difference.

Do you see the top guys in 3-gun running a strike eagle, no. But that doesn't mean it will not work for you. 

I can't speak for the PST never seen or tried one but I had a lot of good luck with my Strike Eagle. Here's a link to a good price http://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-with-ar-bdc-reticle.html

They're also making a 1-8 Strike Eagle now but haven't seen that one either. Last winter upgraded to the Razr HD and it's really amazing.

The new strike eagle has a more precise reticle to me than the first release. I found the 1-6 I’d end up covering the target with the reticle at times if the distance/target size didn’t jive. 

I did upgrade to a razor and that’s a whole new animal

13 minutes ago, floater said:

I can not get my strike eagle to focus after 3 to 4 power, looked great in store under flourescent light but out side it just dose not work with my eyes.

Did you try turning the focus ring? Not the zoom ring.

19 hours ago, louu said:

Did you try turning the focus ring? Not the zoom ring.

Yes, like I said up at 4 power and up it will not focus for me, one of the guys I shoot with didn't notice the focus being as bad as I do, he has glasses I don't, may not have anything to do with it but?

3 hours ago, floater said:

Yes, like I said up at 4 power and up it will not focus for me, one of the guys I shoot with didn't notice the focus being as bad as I do, he has glasses I don't, may not have anything to do with it but?

I'm not sure if we're on the same page. If you pull off the rear scope cap, completely off, there is a plus and minus with a zero in the middle underneath of that. That is the actual Focus for different vision. 

Typically the rear focus ring is to allow the shooter to sharpen his view of the reticle. Your eyesight is what it is, corrected or not, and without a parallax adjustment, your view of the target will be a function of your eyesight. If there are any real problems with focus, I'd take it up with Vortex. Let them show you some of their good customer service.

I ran a Strike Eagle on only one match (so not a huge amount of experience), but I did NOT like it.  The eye box was really small.  I had to get a perfect cheek weld in the exact right place to have a good shadow-free view.  I sold it.

I recently picked up a Vortex PST Gen2 and am MUCH happier with the glass.  The eye box is big enough that there is significantly more play as to where I can mount and still have a shadow-free view.

It's only money...

On 11/16/2017 at 9:48 AM, Woodsk said:

I run a strike eagle 1-6, and it is a very popular scope in 3-gun. However the PST gen2 is a better scope. under 300 yards I really don't think it will buy it much but once you have to go past that the better glass will make a difference.

Do you see the top guys in 3-gun running a strike eagle, no. But that doesn't mean it will not work for you. 

I ran a Strike Eagle on top of my JP for 2016.  Like running a F1 car with the cheapest fuel.  It worked and I pulled out some solid finishes at major matches, 23rd at Multigun nationals, 5th at Ga State, Top 10 at Missouri 3-gun, etc.  That said, I would not recommend it if you're budget allows.  Granted if you're shooting a stock bushmaster rifle, $2K glass on top is a bit over the top as well.