Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Video Self-analysis

EricW

Jack:

scrutinizing that video to a degree that might come close to neurotic was key to any success I might have had.

I think you said a lot right there. I will probably need to watch the video over and over in slow motion to really see what I am doing. I suppose digital video has the advantage of slow motion, frame by frame, etc. Having looked at three runs, one with decent hits and crappy time, one with great time and bad hits, and a killer run that had great hits and great time, I can now see the difference in detail. I also think it's improtant to either talk to the camera making notes of how you felt and what you saw, along with what you are doing differently between runs might have some value.

BTW, I did some video of Steel Challenge stuff this morning. Huge difference between shooting lazy compared to snapping the eyes/moving the gun with purpose. It shows on film and on the timer.

Ron,

In the early days, during practice, I used to basically do a "clinic" to the camera. I'd talk about what I was going to do, I'd talk about what happened, I'd talk about the results and what needed to change. Somehow I wanted to capture every component of what was happening so I talked to "myself" through the camera as close to the moment as I possibly could.

Ironically, during dry fire, I used to place the camera right in front of me so I could see the eye snap, see any weird muzzle movement - stuff like that.

And watching those nationals tapes - my word did they really help me.

Last year Jeeper sent me video of area 4 - he filmed me on a few stages (Thanks and Congrats on getting married BTW!!!!). I scrutinized the hell out of those. Target transitions were way to slow and movement was sluggish. After Jeeper sent me those, I dry fired alot working on what I saw I was losing. I also compared them to old video of nationals - stuff from the early 90's which is incredibly applicable today. Up to that point, I hadn't shot a solid classifier yet. I wasn't looking to increase my classification, I just wanted to shoot a solid stage and be able to have a reference to how it stood. Anyhow, after analyzing the video I shot a match with 4 classifiers and was able to perform at a level I felt was finally acceptable. Strangely enough, I put more effort into Area 4 working on the wrong things than I did on that one (and proceeding) match with the classifiers. I put forth less effort in total, but a more concentrated effort on what was necessary, and saw improvement almost immediately.

Video was the kicker for me. My best teacher.

J

I spent quite a bit of time this morning and yesterday playing around with video. It's almost depressing, seeing how uncoordinated and sluggish I am with my movement going from spot to spot. Maybe I should take some dance lessons, lol.

Well...I got the video camera...and the results are undenyable.

Seeing my fat, ugly ass on video every day will if nothing else alter my eating habits.  :o

I have posted here before but it bears repeating:

A video camera is an excellent tool for showing your weaknesses. After viewing footage of myself shooting, it is obvious that my main weaknesses are red meat and beer! :P

-Chet

I think it would be good to watch video of the top shooters and analyze what they do - after you have analyzed your own weak areas. In other words, watch how they do the thing you need to improve. The subconscious mind is an easy thing to train with images - which is why visualization is so good. Don't dwell too much on your "weak" images, you don't want to reinforce anything. Analyze just enough to identify and then rectify it by watching the right way. So if your reloads are weak, watch a loop of Travis snapping his fast reloads - no analysis - just observation and absorbtion. My thoughts....

Well...I'm learning a lot about my draw. I've learned that I'm not pulling straight up but up, then down onto the grip, then back up out of the holster. Won't do crap for my USPSA crappification, but it'll be about 0.8 to 1.0 secs per stage that I won't be leaving on the ground shooting steel.

Holy Shjt that video was cool!

I never did anything like that - mine was just dumb ole' watch video - see where I'm screwing up - and fix. That video that Mcoliver put up was spectacular!

Hell, if I'd had that back in the day I might have actually WON a match.

J

mcoliver,

That is absolutely badass! How did you do that?

============================================

On another issue, I was watching my fat butt dryfire last night and was stepping through the images frame by frame. I had *thought* that video was recorded in 1/30th of a second increments. My particular video camera *seems* to step through the images in 1/200th of a second increments. For every step of .01 secs on the time index, I get two images.

I'd like to know if this is true or not (or just an artifact of the camera), because if it is true, that means I can do some cool stuff with regards to the shotgun slug issue. Pretty sure I can capture fragment sizes and velocities with that frame rate.

Thanks!

I second Eric! What video editing software are you using?

Several years ago Erik Warren and I shot a stage at the Silver Buckle match in exactly the same time. I had videotaped Erik with his camcorder and Erik had taped me using my camcorder. We used our camcorders to play back the videos at roughly the same time so we could see where I gained time on Erik shooting on the move and Erik kicked my butt shooting steel then both of us arrived at the last shot at the same time. I would have loved to do a superimposed video like these, but I don't think we were standing in the same places when we videotaped.

Nolan

Glad you guys liked it. :)

I'm using Sonic Foundry's Vegas Video. It has that particular Bezier masking option that allows one to "cut" a particular part of the footage from the rest. For it to work properly for overlapping takes like the one above, the cam must be fixed in one place for both takes.

But I tell you, it's one tedious task to "mask out" a moving subject. I'm hoping the future versions of Vegas will have a more easier way of doing this.

The easiest is to just overlap the videos as they are and adjust the transparency of the top layer. Like this, from Saul's site: Med Cup

Mcoliver, will the Vegas program allow you to do a sort of picture in picture effect ie. if I shot the same scene from two different locations could I put a small version of the scene in the top corner in a seperate frame of it's own? To explain it better a side shot of someone shooting a stage and then a shot from behind them running seperately in the top left corner?

Thanks Eric

EricW:

If you do get into the video self analysis gig, be sure to safe video long term. I was going through some old tapes just seeing what was on them, when I ran into some match video and practice video from a couple of years ago. I compared the new to old and it was certainly revealing. That old video, along with some comments made to me at the Jackson Hole Shoot two days ago, has had a major impact in my shooting.

Mcoliver, will the Vegas program allow you to do a sort of picture in picture effect ie. if I shot the same scene from two different locations could I put a small version of the scene in the top corner in a seperate frame of it's own? To explain it better a side shot of someone shooting a stage and then a shot from behind them running seperately in the top left corner?

Thanks Eric

Yes, it definitely can. I forgot what version I have but this one doesn't have any limits (up to how much RAM you have in the system, though) as to how many layers you can put in the timeline.