Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Canik TP9SFX mags for production division

darkvibe

I got a SFX at a match this year and would like to shoot a little production with it.  Lots of discussion here about shooting in in CO division but little talk of production specific shooting with it.

My first question is about mags...  Anyone have some guidance on what mags and basepads will fit in the box?  I live in a 10 round restricted state.  I see some 10rd flush fit mags for other Canik guns that sound like they fit the SFX.  Anyone know of a basepad to add a little weight and little length that will still fit the box?

My second question is about springs....  What recoil spring weight have you guys found to work with hand loads shooting minor without a red dot on the slide?  What other springs are you guys changing out?

13 pound 1911 recoil spring on a P320 steel guide rod like from Springer (no the X-Five length, regular P320)

You'll need the regular length mags, https://gunmagwarehouse.com/century-arms-canik-tp9sa-tp9sf-tp9sfx-9mm-10-round-magazine.html

they are mecgar so nice quality.

Most base pad made for a CZ Mecgar mags should fit - here is one: http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=252&categoryId=54

Changed the firing pin/striker spring to a Glock 6#

Awesome triggers on these guns. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2017 at 9:53 AM, sfinney said:

13 pound 1911 recoil spring on a P320 steel guide rod like from Springer (no the X-Five length, regular P320)

You'll need the regular length mags, https://gunmagwarehouse.com/century-arms-canik-tp9sa-tp9sf-tp9sfx-9mm-10-round-magazine.html

they are mecgar so nice quality.

Most base pad made for a CZ Mecgar mags should fit - here is one: http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=252&categoryId=54

Changed the firing pin/striker spring to a Glock 6#

Awesome triggers on these guns. 

A Wolff 1911 spring a p320 recoil rod from Springer doesn't work. The spring clashes before the slide is all the way back. 

Those basepads also don't exactly work. They fit the mag body but the plastic retainer plate has a rectangular nub and the CZ base pads have a round hole. 

Edited by darkvibe

My mags are set up for CO, so no help there, but I have a 13# recoil spring on a Glock 17 tungsten guide. Works perfectly with my 130 PF ammo. Also change the striker spring to a heavy Glock, it will be much lighter than the stock Canik spring. 

I did change the striker spring. Seems to function OK. Hopefully it ignites primers reliably once I test it. 

I'm thinking my Wolff spring is the problem with recoil assembly. The spring is still going to sit in the same spot regardless of what guide rod I have. What recoil spring are you using on the Glock guide rod?  A Glock spring?

01049 Glock Red 28 Newton Extra Power Firing Pin Spring $9.95

I had trouble trying to put my replacement Sig 320 guide rod in place, so from kingglock.com I ordered:

G4-GRA1715CON

Stainless Recoil Conversion Kit Fits Gen4 G17,22 W/15LB SPRING

$22.95

$22.95

This conversion has a washer fitting that accommodates the slightly shorter Glock recoil rod.

Everything works well.  I might try a lighter recoil spring but not a big need at this time.  

On January 30, 2018 at 10:37 PM, darkvibe said:

I did change the striker spring. Seems to function OK. Hopefully it ignites primers reliably once I test it. 

I'm thinking my Wolff spring is the problem with recoil assembly. The spring is still going to sit in the same spot regardless of what guide rod I have. What recoil spring are you using on the Glock guide rod?  A Glock spring?

I got the Glockstore tungsten rod with a 13# captured spring, not sure who actually produced the spring. 

Some 5" 1911 springs will require clipping a coil or two off to get full slide travel.  I started with a Springer Sig 320/250 full length guide rod and a 13# spring and removed 2.5 coils to get full travel.  I have about 1500 rds through it in competition and practice, with no problems.  A number of people have commented how little muzzle flip there is, even when my wife is shooting it fast through a stage.

So i ordered a commander length spring and was unable to get it to work.  Possibly because it was a variable power spring?  So I took a 15# full length 1911 spring and nipped 4 or 5 coils off.  Racking the slide in this configuration is so much easier than with the factory or even the Sprinco.  Live fire tests show ejection pattern of Freedom Munitions 115 and 124gr ammo to be nearly identical and right around the sweet spot.  Gun does not feel over or under sprung.  

• 2 months later...

Just throwing it out there as I’m in the same boat with figuring out which 1911 spring works best. I read on a 1911 forum that the stock commander springs are 24 coils long which equates to a 5 inch spring. The full length 1911 springs are 6 3/8 inches long. If cutting down any of the full length springs you will be lighter then the rated lbs of the spring by a little bit. Just to keep in mind. I found a lightly used Springer Precision full size 320 guide rod and every Wolff spring from 11-21 lbs most of which are still brand new in the package on eBay. So far first time ever shooting the gun with a shorten 15 lb spring, Ghost 6.5 lb striker spring and Ghost reduced power plunger spring. Not one hiccup or anything from 200 rds of WWB 115 gr and Magtech 115 gr.

I don’t reload so that’s pretty much what I shoot. Anyone looking for striker springs or reduced power plunger springs check out Ghost as there prices are unbeatable.

Also Taylor Freelance makes specific Canik baseplates now that are perfect fit and reasonably priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a recoil spring I use a glock 17 gen 3 stainless captured guide rod with a gen 4 adapter and a 13lb spring. I got this set up at NDZ Performance. They sell the rods already set up. I also use a extra power glock striker spring with a glock striker safety plunger spring. Runs good. https://www.ndzperformance.com/NDZ-13LB-Guide-Rod-SST-Adapter-GLK-Gen-4-5-p/ndz-gra-g4-sst-g17-gl13.htm

Edited by 1steelshooter

1steelshooter,
Does your guide rod sit parallel to the barrel when installed? Wasn’t sure if there updated gen4 rod with larger end would cause the guide rod to sit racked a little bit?

On 5/10/2018 at 10:01 PM, Screaminyz said:

1steelshooter,
Does your guide rod sit parallel to the barrel when installed? Wasn’t sure if there updated gen4 rod with larger end would cause the guide rod to sit racked a little bit?

The rod sits level.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2018 at 4:44 PM, darkvibe said:

A Wolff 1911 spring a p320 recoil rod from Springer doesn't work. The spring clashes before the slide is all the way back. 

Those basepads also don't exactly work. They fit the mag body but the plastic retainer plate has a rectangular nub and the CZ base pads have a round hole. 

I ordered CZ mag retainer plates from CZ USA. CZC was out.

8 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

Jeff O,
Why not? Won’t fit in the box rule? I’m new to this and just curious.

Yes, the stock 20 rd mag won't even fit the production box, I use 18's with the CZC base pads.

Edited by Jeff O

13 hours ago, Screaminyz said:

I had no issues with my 320 guide rod and 1911 springs, you do have to cut them down to commander length. I think it’s 5 inches or 23- 24 coils. 

I use a Jager SS Glock non-captured guide rod with a Zev Gen 4 spacer an 11 lb ISMI recoil spring and a Ghost 6.5 lb Glock striker spring. Gun shoots very flat and runs flawlessly. My ammo makes 130 PF.

Edited by Jeff O
Add'l info

10 hours ago, Jeff O said:

Yes, the stock 20 rd mag won't even fit the production box, I use 18's with the CZC base pads.

To answer the original question, the stock TP9SFX base pad won't fit in the USPSA or the IDPA SSP/ESP box. Here is my setup. When I asked Kalob at Springer about their baseplates not fitting he said "It doesn't say it will fit every Canik ever made". Well here's what it does say:

"SP EZ CZ 9mm base pads - 17 round magazines - Canik TP9V2/EAA SF"

Sounds like a load of BS to me Kalob.

Canik_base_pads.jpg

Edited by Jeff O