Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring Options

krowpots

For a 9mm 4.25in commander I'm looking to get it shooting as smooth as possible. I already got a Harrison FPS. Now I'm looking at recoil springs. There are a bewildering number of recoil springs which all claim to somehow reduce the felt recoil (I'm assuming by extending the impulse) while not increasing front sight dip when the slide returns. These include:

- Nighthawk/Bob Marvel Everlast recoil system

- DPM triple spring recoil reduction system

- Sprinco Recoil Reducer

- EFK dual action spring

- Wolff Variable power springs

- STI Recoilmaster

Do any of these (or any other system or setup) actually keep the gun flatter during recoil? Do any of the variable rate, or multiple spring setups actually help slow the slide when moving reward, but then don't slam the slide home with the same force?

Lastly, what would folks recommend for the setup mentioned above?

I also have this same thread going on 1911forum with some interesting responses here: https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=11229570&posted=1

Thanks!

Wolff Variable are used by many open shooters to get the gun to run as flat as possible.

Some of the more well known smiths suggest them for flat running guns etc.

'I've used them for years and every time I go back to a Wolff conventional wound spring I can shoot the "difference" on timed drills.

FWIW I find them the best for keeping the running running reliably and flat

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 8:32 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Wolff Variable are used by many open shooters to get the gun to run as flat as possible.

Some of the more well known smiths suggest them for flat running guns etc.

'I've used them for years and every time I go back to a Wolff conventional wound spring I can shoot the "difference" on timed drills.

FWIW I find them the best for keeping the running running reliably and flat

How would you compare the Wolff variable springs to ISMI springs?

Say an 9mm Major Open shooter was using a 9 pound ISMI spring...  Would that compare to a 9 pound Wolff variable spring? 

• 1 month later...

I just dropped a 6 pound variable in my pistol from a 9 pound wolf conventional. Sub minor limited 9mm gun. Night and day difference. The gun returns to the exact same point of aim with no front sight wobble or having to wait for it to settle. It’s just there. I would definitely recommend running a shock buff though. Super happy with the variables though.