Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Table start (production)

SlvrDragon50

Fumbled a bit picking up my Shadow 2 from the table today though the cold weather certainly didn't help. Does anyone have a POV or close up video of how to quickly pick up the gun from the table? I've been watching Youtube videos, and it looks like some people use their weak hand to tip up the slide, but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks

I could not find the video to post a link but I have seen one where Max   Michael shows exactly what you describe.  That said I tried it and it works well but since most times that I run into a table start it is with an unloaded gun, I just stick to grabbing the gun with the strong hand so my weak hand is free to go for a magazine.  This becomes second nature after a little practice.  I’m sure any way of doing it will work quite well with only a little practice.

He talks about picking up on the slide, but I don't really see his weak hand touching it, certainly not lifting, more blocking.

Jerry M has a video advocating two hands to prevent knocking the gun around or off platform IIRC.

I'm just a lowly C shooter, I can't remember the last loaded table start I had, I do use two hands for those and get under the slide with the weak hand. Unloaded on table/barrel is far more common here, I grab the mag and pistol simultaneously, hand grabbing mag is in position to stop gun if something goes awry during grab. Practicing both is worthwhile, pretty much every table start I've encountered has been at an abnormal height, barrel starts seem to vary hand position from somewhere on the side, front, or rim, hands on side I guess because of my height is very awkward feeling to me. Biggest trouble I've seen people have is starting to run while the gun is still on the prop and dragging/pivoting it to a 180.

loaded start, as a right hander.

my right hand goes for the grip, my focus is at the grip. my left hand hits the rear sight and lifts the gun up from that "corner" just as my right hand is getting to the gun. surrender, seated, hands on table or whatever i do it this way every time.

should you get to spastic with your left hand your right hand should be getting there quick enough to stop you from launching it off the table or barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, but i have done it, with the pistol laying in it's left side it is easy to put downward pressure with your right hand and thus engage the mag release ( for a right handed shooter).  Now you have lost  at least two seconds' maybe much more 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, americanbrosinarms said:

I might have to give this a try when doing some dry fire in the next day or so..... Never have considered using the weak hand to "tip" the gun up. Have to see how dry fire goes and might add it the bag of tricks.

It also gets your weak hand on the grip sooner, as your hands are closer together when initial contact with the gun is made.

On 11/16/2017 at 11:08 AM, Beef15 said:

Biggest trouble I've seen people have is starting to run while the gun is still on the prop and dragging/pivoting it to a 180.

+ 1

Best advice I have heard from a g.m. was to not try and do 2 things at once in this particular instance. Focus on getting the gun in hand properly, then go.