Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lite Primer strike

tomjerry1

6 hours ago, tomjerry1 said:

Well, have a new Dawson Extra long firing pin, new wolff firing pin spring, new 17# main spring, and a new 8# wolff recoil spring. Once again, shooting 38sc, CCI spp, KKM 5" barrel, no poppel holes, three port compensator, right at 165 pf. It is working, probably had a few high primers in earlier post, but still not hard primer strikes, about the same as before changing the firing pin and springs. Are the CCI's that hard????

The build up of pressure firing a round seats the primer against the breech face, sometimes pushes out the bulk of the indentation created by the firing pin, and often flattens the primer noticeably against the breech face.  This is unique to every gun and combo of parts, but firing pin indentation being "undone" by chamber pressure is common in major loads.  That's probably all that's happening.  If you come to the wrong conclusion evaluating your evidence you could be fighting a battle you've already won. 

Edited by theWacoKid

CCI's are not that hard for a hammer fired gun especially with the weight springs you're running.

I've run Tula's and Wolff primers successfully with a 17lbs main spring.

CCI ssp mags are what I shoot all the time in my open gun with a 17lbs spring never a problem

I do use an extended firing pin, but I use those in every gun I own (1911/2011)

Looks like you've got it figured out

Good fortune to you 

Happy thanksgiving and God bless