Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Setups

diver60540

I'm in Illinois and working on a move to southeast Florida. Up here we have basements which work great for gun storage and reloading spaces. Where do those of you in Fla, and hot humid climates with no basements, store your guns, components and do your loading? Absent an air conditioned garage, all I can figure is a "spare" bedroom. Looking for pointers and advice 

passive dehumidifiers in the gun safe. making sure the lids on things are very tight. always clean things you touch. glass powder hopper. powered dehumidifier in the garage during summer months to keep it down to 50% humidity. desicant pack thrown in ammo cans, storage boxes ect. I prefer to keep stuff out in the garage and separate from my living space.

I am on the gulf coast of Texas and have similar problems with humidity and rust.  I actually had the outer edges of a can of WD-40 get rusty.

I added a small dehumidifier to the big safe in the garage. It is about 10” tall 8” wide and 6” deep.  I dump it out about a quart of water once a week or so and put it back in place and let her run.  If I keep the door closed it keeps the humidity below 50% sometimes close to 40% in the safe.  Search for amazon  for mini dehumidifier.  It has run 100% of the time for over two years and cost around $50 but worth every penny.  

I reload so have an inventory of components and still store primers and powder in a climate controller space.  

• 4 months later...
25 minutes ago, diver60540 said:

Outstanding. Bought a house  in Palm City (just north of Palm Beach). Got a couple of extra rooms (It's south Fla so my daughter can sleep outside, right?) so it will all be indoors.

I live in Port St Lucie. (about 20 minutes North)  when you get settled, I can fill you in on all the ranges and matches.  (if you're into that of course)

Everglades Ammo is down there, Mark 7 Reloading as well. Generally quite a bit of the larger matches in florida are hosted on matchsignup.org only a few are on practiscore.

I reload in a wood shed, but keep all my components inside the house.

Gun Craft Inc (Ruskin)

Hansen Range & Gun Club (Punta Gorda), they host the custom gun classic around November.

Wyoming Antelope Club (Clearwater), they host the factory gun classic the first weekend of December.

Shoot GTR (Gainesville)

Volusia Gun & Hunt Club (Volusia)

Universal Shooting Academy (Frostproof)

OK Corral (Okeechobee)  Area 6 Championship will be there in two weeks.

I'm sure there are many others, but off the top of my head these are some of the more popular facilities.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, diver60540 said:

That'd be great Stick. I know about OK Corral, South Fla in Davie, and Frostproof. What else is going on?

PMRPC (port Malabar rifle and pistol club)  Has IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and cowboy.   I primarily shoot at OK Corral and PMRPC.  I shot 3gun at Frostproof but I mostly shoot Steel challenge and USPSA now.

20 hours ago, stick said:

PMRPC (port Malabar rifle and pistol club)  Has IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and cowboy.   I primarily shoot at OK Corral and PMRPC.  I shot 3gun at Frostproof but I mostly shoot Steel challenge and USPSA now.

Great thanks. Haven't shot much IDPA in a long time, but you never know. I shoot USPSA and sporting clays generally

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 2:58 PM, RocketRyan said:

Everglades Ammo is down there, Mark 7 Reloading as well. Generally quite a bit of the larger matches in florida are hosted on matchsignup.org only a few are on practiscore.

I reload in a wood shed, but keep all my components inside the house.

Gun Craft Inc (Ruskin)

Hansen Range & Gun Club (Punta Gorda), they host the custom gun classic around November.

Wyoming Antelope Club (Clearwater), they host the factory gun classic the first weekend of December.

Shoot GTR (Gainesville)

Volusia Gun & Hunt Club (Volusia)

Universal Shooting Academy (Frostproof)

OK Corral (Okeechobee)  Area 6 Championship will be there in two weeks.

I'm sure there are many others, but off the top of my head these are some of the more popular facilities.

Thanks RocketRyan. Good to know about the sign up procedure. 

29 minutes ago, diver60540 said:

Great thanks. Haven't shot much IDPA in a long time, but you never know. I shoot USPSA and sporting clays generally

I don't shoot IDPA either.  Do you use practiscore?  I'm a member at PMRPC, but I also shoot at Ok Corral.  When you get here, look me up.  I'll fill you in on the local matches. 

I was downsizing 5 years ago, walked into a house in Boca Raton by the beach, in great shape, perfect location at the right price. Other buyers were in the house so didn't really look around too hard. Made a cash offer and accepted.

Went to move in. And guess what--- the guy was a cabinet maker and a  shooter. Built in carpentry for safe, loading, shelves for 50 cal ammo can storage...sometimes you get lucky :-)