Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seating to cannelure on 223

IntenseImage

I just recently started loading 223 and have had some great luck with my current loading (55g Hornady). I have acess to some other bullets but the cannelure is a little different than the Hornady ... And also 2 different location within the batch. If I run all 3 bullets through my current setup you can see the Hornady seats and crimps (Lee FCD) mid cannelure. The other 2 seat to above the cannelure. As long as I have adequate neck tension (press on the bench and they don't seat deeper), do you see any issue with loading some of these up for blaster ammo and leave the Hornady for longer range use?

98335f22d743ce051cbd41fada05e6d8.jpg7732fafc37a69c0b54d07df167a79c48.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I load Hornady 55 gr soft point to max length the mag will accept.  Leaves the cannelure quite a ways out of the case mouth and they are very accurate.
Exactly the opposite of what I am working on right now. These all seat to my OAL of 2.20-2.21 but these new tips seat with the cannelure fully in the case. I ran 30 off the press this morning and will test them tomorrow. If they work, great, I'll have cheap blaster ammo for paper and will keep the Hornady for the 100+yd stuff at matches

I try for the least distance between the bullet and the start of the rifling without touching.  But, anytime you change bullet brand or shape you need to check that the bullet doesn't touch the rifling when seated in the chamber.  Also, if you load long, try loading a few mags all the way and make sure that they feed properly.

I try for the least distance between the bullet and the start of the rifling without touching.  But, anytime you change bullet brand or shape you need to check that the bullet doesn't touch the rifling when seated in the chamber.  Also, if you load long, try loading a few mags all the way and make sure that they feed properly.
Def not touching rifling at this OAL and mags are already loaded up for testing. I'm guessing these will be just fine, and at the price (they are soft pulls after all), I'll grab a bunch for hoser stages

21 hours ago, atbarr said:

Do you use COAL or Ogive, IMO the Ogive is the one that counts. I haven't loaded to a COAL in a while.

This reloader above must be almost as smart, good looking, and modest as I am. :)

Meaning it the ogive that counts and places the bullet at the same point of contact from the lands.

Edited by bigedp51