Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Popple Holes on a PCC Barrel

With folks experimenting with mid-barrel comps, it got me thinking.  Has anyone tried a few Popple Holes in their 9mm barrel?

Put them about 6" from the chamber and you should get some results with slow powders.  That's a comparable distance from the chamber we see on most open guns and they would be close enough to the upper receiver that they will not interfere with your normal grip on the handguard.

Thanks.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

With the holes that close to the chamber wouldn't you expell enough gas to have difficulty getting the bullet to leave the muzzle with enough velocity to retain accuracy / avoid tumbling??  I would think close to the Muzzle would be the ticket??

12 minutes ago, NoSteel said:

With the holes that close to the chamber wouldn't you expell enough gas to have difficulty getting the bullet to leave the muzzle with enough velocity to retain accuracy / avoid tumbling??  I would think close to the Muzzle would be the ticket??

That's a good question.  I've read about 9mm SBR's that a 10.5" barrel is the optimum length.  That's not to say you don't get some benefit from the longer barrel but I would think the holes closer to the chamber would work the best.  That's why we got folks here on the forum that like to experiment.

I re-read Brian's thread on "My Light Weight Build" and saw he mentioned plans to try Popple Holes last Monday.  Here's to hoping its very successful.

Lets all re-invent the wheel here. This stuff has all been done before.....for years. Popple holes, mid barrel brakes......this is nothing new. We've been selling this stuff for months....people have been running our ported extensions on 4" thru 10.5" barrels all summer. The set up has lots of merit for sure.......more so in the MPX than in blow back, but works great.

32 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

Lets all re-invent the wheel here. This stuff has all been done before.....for years. Popple holes, mid barrel brakes......this is nothing new. We've been selling this stuff for months....people have been running our ported extensions on 4" thru 10.5" barrels all summer. The set up has lots of merit for sure.......more so in the MPX than in blow back, but works great.

Who said I was re-inventing anything?  I made a post about what I was going to try.     You don't offer a barrel with popple holes do you?  I doubt you were the first person to build a sleeved barrel.  

Great job Brian.  It is the first done in this manner on a PPC carbine that is cut into a barrel.  Keep thinking outside of the box Brian. I am not a engineer, but the design appears to be more efficient.   Everyone knows that the tighter seal around the bullet as it passes the exit hole in the barrel, or port walls, will be more efficient with scavenging the exhaust gases the way they will be directed upward by the port walls compared to a tube with very little restrictions at all.  Blow through a straw and blow through a one inch tube, which has more force ?

On 11/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, bmiller said:

Who said I was re-inventing anything?  I made a post about what I was going to try.     You don't offer a barrel with popple holes do you?  I doubt you were the first person to build a sleeved barrel.  

never said you were.......and I did.....and I am not. but keep up the good work

• 1 month later...

Funny you should mention Popple holes. I took my new Faxon 10.5 inch, with Taccom extension, to a local gunsmith to have it pinned and welded over. The guy assured me that they done it before.

They called the next day and said it was done and I went and picked it up. It looked great. No splatter. Very small puddle over the pin. I headed home.

A couple of miles from their shop I was at a stop light and decided to have a peek down the bore. You know, let the setting Sun glint off the shiny insides.  

Well lo and be-freakin' hold there was a glob of weld right where the guy had drilled clean through my new barrel. I made an illegal u-turn and headed back to the gun shop.

I handed it to him and asked him to look down the bore. With a sheepish look on his face he said that the boss was gone, but would make it right come Monday. He handed me back the check I had given him, and I left.

Tomorrow...

1 hour ago, MikieM said:

Funny you should mention Popple holes. I took my new Faxon 10.5 inch, with Taccom extension, to a local gunsmith to have it pinned and welded over. The guy assured me that they done it before.

They called the next day and said it was done and I went and picked it up. It looked great. No splatter. Very small puddle over the pin. I headed home.

A couple of miles from their shop I was at a stop light and decided to have a peek down the bore. You know, let the setting Sun glint off the shiny insides.  

Well lo and be-freakin' hold there was a glob of weld right where the guy had drilled clean through my new barrel. I made an illegal u-turn and headed back to the gun shop.

I handed it to him and asked him to look down the bore. With a sheepish look on his face he said that the boss was gone, but would make it right come Monday. He handed me back the check I had given him, and I left.

Tomorrow...

Hello: Good thing you didn't shoot it. Thanks, Eric