Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best plated bullet

bmiller

I had a couple thousand X-treme 147 gr plated RN bullets on the shelf when I started shooting PCC.  They were purchased to shoot in my open gun. I could not find an accurate load so on the shelf they sat.

Turns out my PSA and Spinta barrels love these things as long as the target is at 40 yards or less.  Just got my 4th case.  I usually wait until they have a 10% off and free shipping sale and then stock up.

I use Berry's with reasonable accuracy. I think they offer only a few types rated to run above 1250 FPS though (thicker plating, hollow base etc). all my loads run <1100 FPS. I expect you would get much higher velocity than 1100 fps in a PCC.  

Rainier plated, hands down.  Berry's next, then X-Treme.  I run Rainier 155gr bullets in my 2011 40.  They are more accurate than the Montana Gold 155 JHPs I'm just finishing up.

In my 1911 45s Rainier is more accurate than X-Treme.  I haven't tried Berry's in 45 yet.  I use the plated bullets for competitions.  None I've tried are bullseye accurate.  

It seems that it's all about the gun. 

Rainiers were OK, Berry's not so much and I've only tried Montana Gold once, about 20 years ago, so no real opinion.

There was a company called AIM.  When they first came out, were crap.  Over the next few years they got infinately better, then they really tank with plating stripping off completely.