Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Shoot Speed Option 1-3-4-2-S?

RickT

Showdown appears o be settled science, 4-3-1-2-S or 4-3-2-1-S, this from the holster.  I'm old and slow with 4-3-1-2-S my norm, but I've been thinking about working more left-to-right although the total ground covered will be slightly greater.

I recently made a slight improvement on Showdown.  1-2-4-3-stop from both boxes.  Gave up on 4-3-1-2-stop with the inconsistency in transitioning to plate 1 at speed. To achieve consistency I had to make absolutely sure not to over nor under swing plate 1 after a long swing from 3, making it far slower for me.  Found this to be true for Roundabout and Accelerator as well, even though I greatly preferred the quick 1-2-stop finish.  Also, shooting Showdown the exact same as Roundabout makes me feel like I am getting double the benefit from practicing Roundabout.  Roundabout and Showdown just feel like the exact same stages now.  Makes for confidence on both.  Maybe if I continue to get better, like Krispies said, I will go back to the other way and getting to plate 1 wont be as bad.

I have found personal confidence in being able to shoot 6 of the 8 stages; Accelerator, Smoke and Hope, Roundabout, Showdown, The Pendulum and even Outer Limits all with the exact same pattern.    But that's just what works for me.

Speed Option 4-3-2-1-stop.  Don't like the extra direction change with 4-3-1-2-stop.  Don't like transitioning to and then away from 4 at all.  Actually set up point of aim in the box squarely on plate 4 now, similar to the stop plate on 5 to Go. 

Slight improvements put me over the RFRO 95% mark too.

PCC Optics GM 97.41 97.41 11/01/17
Rimfire Rifle Open GM 95.56 95.56 11/01/17

Speed Option

10/28/17 SC-107 Rimfire Rifle Open 11.22 PEAK: 10.00
SC-107 PCC Optics 9.47 PEAK:  10.50

Showdown

10/28/17 SC-102 Rimfire Rifle Open 8.29 PEAK:  8.00
10/28/17 SC-102 PCC Optics 8.96

PEAK:  8.50

Edited by Hammer002

The 'best' order to shoot Speed Option is 5, 4, 3, 1, S.  You obviously need to be comfortable shooting R - L but this allows for the least amount of transition, enables you to break up teh stage into 2 mini stages and only has one reversal transition ...

• 5 months later...

I have some serious low back problems for which I’ve been putting off surgery, and due to the pain of twisting and some shoulder irritation I stumbled upon a faster method for me of shooting Speed Option with rifles.

I have watched jkrispies shoot his pattern of 3-4-1-2-S very well, but it just never worked for me in the past. His reasoning of not wanting to bypass plate 3 in transition from the low ready start pin to plate 4 is sound and works for him, but I just couldn’t get the index right to do it without bouncing off or over swinging plate 4 after shooting 3.

Saturday my back was really aggravated and I was unable to twist, and on top of that I had some shoulder issues that finally caused me to try moving my PCCO and RFRO rifle stocks off the shoulder and onto my chest, with the bottom angle of my MFT stocks right under my collar bone. This position ended up being super locked in with less pressure, making for instant stops on plates and no overswing. I decided to try starting on plate 3 again since I had to change my normal index position to compensate for the new rifle position. As a right handed shooter I found that if I indexed on 3, but then rolled my knee to the right I would be perfectly indexed for plate 4, so after snapping off an easy shot on 3, plate 4 was right there. I then shot 1, then 2 then stop. This was ok, but swinging past 2 seemed silly since I had trying not to swing past 3 at the start. Next string I went 3-4-2-1-S and was .3 faster. Finished with a 2.49 and 11.04 overall. This is definitely faster than my normal method, and I’m pretty sure if I practice this for an hour or two I could get consistently into the low 10’s or high 9’s for the stage. I definitely suggest giving it a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/17/2018 at 12:20 PM, 1911luvr said:

I have some serious low back problems for which I’ve been putting off surgery, and due to the pain of twisting and some shoulder irritation I stumbled upon a faster method for me of shooting Speed Option with rifles.

I have watched jkrispies shoot his pattern of 3-4-1-2-S very well, but it just never worked for me in the past. His reasoning of not wanting to bypass plate 3 in transition from the low ready start pin to plate 4 is sound and works for him, but I just couldn’t get the index right to do it without bouncing off or over swinging plate 4 after shooting 3.

Saturday my back was really aggravated and I was unable to twist, and on top of that I had some shoulder issues that finally caused me to try moving my PCCO and RFRO rifle stocks off the shoulder and onto my chest, with the bottom angle of my MFT stocks right under my collar bone. This position ended up being super locked in with less pressure, making for instant stops on plates and no overswing. I decided to try starting on plate 3 again since I had to change my normal index position to compensate for the new rifle position. As a right handed shooter I found that if I indexed on 3, but then rolled my knee to the right I would be perfectly indexed for plate 4, so after snapping off an easy shot on 3, plate 4 was right there. I then shot 1, then 2 then stop. This was ok, but swinging past 2 seemed silly since I had trying not to swing past 3 at the start. Next string I went 3-4-2-1-S and was .3 faster. Finished with a 2.49 and 11.04 overall. This is definitely faster than my normal method, and I’m pretty sure if I practice this for an hour or two I could get consistently into the low 10’s or high 9’s for the stage. I definitely suggest giving it a try!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot it 4-3-2-1-S.  I admit from the low ready going to plate 4 is awkward, but it has been consistent.  My friend Grant shoots it 3-4-2-1-S and blazes it down.  I encourage him to shoot it what is the most comfortable.  If it's comfortable you will always shoot it better in my opinion.

Steve

• 2 months later...