Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics/Slide questions

Mass38S

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired a G34 Gen 4 and thought I would try Carry Optics. I usually shoot in Revo class, but getting old sucks and I have a difficult time seeing iron sights indoors during local matches in our NE winters.

The G34 in question was already built before I purchased it. All I need to do was add an optic, which I did. The EGW mount for the G34 and Vortex Razor works well for my needs.

Fast forward to a recent local match. I was using this G34 in Carry optics. I admittedly forgot to remove the mag well that was on the G34, which would have put me into Open class for the day. No problem, my mistake. I ended up having some ammo problems anyway which sunk my day.

Now to the other question.....below you see the slide of this G34, which has what I contend are cosmetic cuts. I did not think much about them, since I do not believe they are lightening cuts, and give no significant competitive advantage. But several others at the match said they are not allowed.

I looked at the rules for Carry Optics, and came upon this:

21.2b

Milling of slide — only as required to insert optical sights

A slide may be modified specifically for the purpose of installing optical sights or cocking serrations. Textured finishes, grip tape, milling or stippling on the slide to provide texture is also allowed. Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited

G34b1.jpg

G34a1.jpg

My problem is the last sentence in A7, 21.2b "Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited" The cuts on this slide do not specifically or significantly lighten the slide. However, the big hole in the G34 slide does (factory )

Is there another rule that addresses thru holes or cuts? I cant seem to find one....

11 minutes ago, Mass38S said:

My problem is the last sentence in A7, 21.2b "Cuts that are designed to specifically or significantly lighten the slide, such as holes, are ruled as competitive advantage and prohibited" The cuts on this slide do not specifically or significantly lighten the slide. However, the big hole in the G34 slide does (factory )

Is there another rule that addresses thru holes or cuts? I cant seem to find one....

key phrase "Cuts that are designed to...lighten the slide,"
Factory cuts are OK since all G34 has the same cut.  The rules specifically talks about modification...which your cuts are.  There are no other rules to justify your cuts to be legal in CO...

I guess I am stuck on the first part of sentence, "designed specifically or significantly to lighten the slide"

Not really a big deal to me, I am not gearing up to shoot CO regularly. And I do not like rules that are not specific.

Specific to me would be "no additional cuts, other than factory,  are allowed. Milling of the slide for the purpose of installing and optic is allowed"

CO is still constrained by the Production philosophy that there must be a rule to allow an externally visible modification (recent hammer/trigger issues aside).  Since you are allowed to do more than mill for sights (you can also add forward serrations or other grip-inducing texture to the slide), your example above doesn't work.  The rule is worded the way it is because it's possible to lighten a slide by removing material from the inside of a slide without cutting all the way through.  Those cuts wouldn't be externally visible, and they would be legal without that statement specifically prohibiting them.