Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production DA/SA Start with Manual Safety

timewaster1700

Hi, I'm pretty new to USPSA. Only been shooting it for about 3 months now. I'm currently shooting a glock 17 in production but am considering moving to a hammer fired gun, potentially a USP, because I love shooting my USP and do much better with it than a glock. I've heard if you have a DA/SA gun you have to decock the gun and start with your first shot as a DA pull. However I'm wondering if this rule applies to DA/SA guns that also have a manual safety? For instance the USP has both a manual safety and a decocker. Would I be able to run a USP in production cocked and locked with the manual safety on for start?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, timewaster1700 said:

Hi, I'm pretty new to USPSA. Only been shooting it for about 3 months now. I'm currently shooting a glock 17 in production but am considering moving to a hammer fired gun, potentially a USP, because I love shooting my USP and do much better with it than a glock. I've heard if you have a DA/SA gun you have to decock the gun and start with your first shot as a DA pull. However I'm wondering if this rule applies to DA/SA guns that also have a manual safety? For instance the USP has both a manual safety and a decocker. Would I be able to run a USP in production cocked and locked with the manual safety on for start?

Thanks

Nope.

See appendix D4 special conditions:

"Handguns with external hammers must be fully decocked at the start signal"

Thank you both for the responses. That is truly unfortunate. Kind of puts DA/SA shooters at a disadvantage especially when you could just run a Walther PPQ with nearly as good of a trigger and not have any safeties or DA pulls. Bummer. Well I'll have to decide if I want to train around DA or not. Thanks

12 hours ago, timewaster1700 said:

Thank you both for the responses. That is truly unfortunate. Kind of puts DA/SA shooters at a disadvantage especially when you could just run a Walther PPQ with nearly as good of a trigger and not have any safeties or DA pulls. Bummer. Well I'll have to decide if I want to train around DA or not. Thanks

it's only a disadvantage if you don't practice. People who don't practice are at a disadvantage in every aspect of shooting.

I've shot DA/SA (226 or X5 Allround) almost exclusively since I started competing ~9 years ago.  I did briefly try a PPQ, but it just didn't fit me well.  When I started out, my first target was often Alpha/Charlie, but the DA shot was almost always an Alpha.  The SA shot was the Charlie, mostly because I was already trying to move to the next target.  Back then, the only thing I might do differently than the guys running Glocks or M&Ps would be to select a more open target for the DA shot.  As I have progressed, that's not so much of a concern anymore.  It's really not as much of a handicap as it's made out to be.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

it's only a disadvantage if you don't practice.

I don't know if that is 100% true or not. Do know that it doesn't seem to hamper the top shooters from getting big wins or even weigh heavily on lowly B class hackers like myself (after a bit of practice).

At a local match last month a guy in the squad ahead of me drilled a round through his holster on the draw (no injuries, said he felt the breeze through his tennis shoe) and there is a thread here where a GM shot his leg on the draw (did not hit anything that will not heal), right or wrong I prefer the first shot to be d.a. from an oopsie standpoint. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

18 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I don't know if that is 100% true or not. Do know that it doesn't seem to hamper the top shooters from getting big wins or even weigh heavily on lowly B class hackers like myself (after a bit of practice).

It was 100% true for me.... but I practice...  I used to shoot production with a da/sa cz 75b. Now I shoot 1911 or 2011 in ss or limited. When I switched to SS I did quite a bit of timed comparisons and found that my draw time was pretty much the same. On an easy target, the DA was actually very slightly faster, on a very difficult target perhaps very slightly slower. Steel challenge times were the same. Classifier scores were the same. I don't think my gun was magic or anything, but I did practice with it, including shooting DA groups.

17 hours ago, timewaster1700 said:

If they allowed single action guns in Production (and that’s exactly what your gun would effectively be) there would be even less difference between Production and Lim 10 than there already is.

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If they allowed single action guns in Production (and that’s exactly what your gun would effectively be) there would be even less difference between Production and Lim 10 than there already is.

which would not imho be a bad thing. too many divisionses.

You haven't felt the trigger on a tuned CZ Shadow have you?

16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

it's only a disadvantage if you don't practice. People who don't practice are at a disadvantage in every aspect of shooting.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

7 hours ago, PatJones said:

You haven't felt the trigger on a tuned CZ Shadow have you?

and this ^^^^^^^

These two statements sum it up completely.