Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Used Benelli m1 over a New M3K? Help me out

CTJer

So, i caught the USPSA bug earlier this year, lots of fun and I’ll continue to shoot it.  I do however want to shoot 3Gun next season.  I got a few buddies looking to do it as well, so I’ll sure it’ll be a damn good time.  

Anyway, I’ll shoot my G17 for Pistol and i have an 16” AR that will fill those positions for now.   I’m sure they will both be upgraded over the next year or two. 

The real question i have is.........

Should i go with a used Benelli m1 and do the mods or go with an M3k?

My thought is that i would like to have 1 of the 3 guns be THE gun I don’t have to upgrade.  So, going with a Benelli would serve that purpose.  Seems like the Benelli is THE shotgun.  

Any advice from those who have been here before?

I’ve had both, I can’t tell a difference between benelli m2 I just put extension tube and my m3k that I sent off to MOA Precision for full package and m3k was still cheaper and it runs just as good if not better. 

59 minutes ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Does the M1 have the barrel length that you want? If you have to buy a barrel, get the Stoeger, if the Benelli has the barrel you want get the Benelli.

It does.  

3 hours ago, Dan Sierpina said:

Are you sponsored and will the sponsor pay for your shotgun? How much more is the used M1 over the Stoeger?

Sponsor?   Maybe some day (probably not). 

$650 for the m1. 

Could probably grab the m3k for.....$550 somewhere.  

Both would need an extension tube and a little port work. 

Benelli would need upgrades in charging handle and bolt release.  

If both are at the same price point after the mods you want, then I'd look at the weight difference. The M3k listed as 7.3 lbs and I believe the original Benelli M1 super 90 is at 8.0 lbs. I can at least vouch for the weight of the M1 versus M2 since I have both, the M2 is much more nimble since it is lighter, so if the M3K is built following the M2 blue print, then I bet it would be quicker on point than the old M1 (keep in mind this is rather subjective.)