Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 torque exceeded - Lee U die

RickT

Just finished setting up and running my Mark 7.  Has anyone else found that they had to replace their U die?  Dropped in the Dillon sizing die and the press ran like a champ, but the U die was no go.  Not much of a problem, but I transitioned to the U die when I replace my Lee FCD with a traditional taper/crimp die.  I've seen some mention of this on various forums via Google, but nothing definitive.

Edited by RickT

I check on the new software although my unit was delivered only a week ago.  Truth is I don't need the U die for any of my guns.  The Dillon sizer is working just fine, but I was concerned initially that I was doing something wrong.  The Mark 7 is running fine.  I just need to decide whether I really need to use the Dillon Expander/Back-up die in the swage station.  Yes, the Mark 7 is expensive, but it's an extremely well designed/built piece of gear.  I haven't yet added the auxiliary sensors since I thought it best to integrate the unit with a known working configuration.

12 minutes ago, MHitchcock said:

Out of curiosity, what caliber are you loading?

9mm, mixed brass, but all cases resist the press with the U die.  Of course I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds by hand with that die in place.

1 hour ago, RickT said:

What case lube would you recommend.  I currently use Hornady.

After several cans of one shot, I tried Dillon and found even with a Udie it’s practically effortless to size pistol brass.

I run a Mark VII with the U-Die at digital clutch setting of 3 along with a bit off OneShot case lube and have no issues.  Is your Mark VII exceeding the torque limit on the up stroke or the down stroke?  If on the down stroke check your brass and make sure you do not have any "Glocked" brass.  If the lower section of the brass is bulged and has the "Glock bulge" in it that may be your issue.

3 hours ago, Malibu13 said:

I run a Mark VII with the U-Die at digital clutch setting of 3 along with a bit off OneShot case lube and have no issues.  Is your Mark VII exceeding the torque limit on the up stroke or the down stroke?  If on the down stroke check your brass and make sure you do not have any "Glocked" brass.  If the lower section of the brass is bulged and has the "Glock bulge" in it that may be your issue.

The stall in on the upstroke.  I've got some Dillon case lube in hand and I'll give that a try tomorrow.  With the U die the stall is on every piece of brass most all of which has been run through our 9mm 1911s.

Have you tried the Facebook user group? There are a lot of commercial reloaders in there that run across a lot of stuff with their mark 7s. I can't see 9mm exceeding the torque. I don't even know what the means. I've never gonna past 5, and that's converting 300 blk brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Dillon lube did the trick even with super clean once-fired brass.  I also installed my Mr. BF PTX and there is only a bit of a pull on the upstroke.  The only disadvantage I can see with the Dillon lube is that any lube inside the case causes he powder to stick to the case walls.  I don't think this is a performance issue, but every so often I'll pull a case off the shellplate and weigh the powder.  Can't reliably do that with powder remaining in the case.

The Dillon lube did the trick even with super clean once-fired brass.  I also installed my Mr. BF PTX and there is only a bit of a pull on the upstroke.  The only disadvantage I can see with the Dillon lube is that any lube inside the case causes he powder to stick to the case walls.  I don't think this is a performance issue, but every so often I'll pull a case off the shellplate and weigh the powder.  Can't reliably do that with powder remaining in the case.

I pull the case off prior to the powder drop. Tare the empty case with primer on the scale. Replace, cycle and weight to get the amount of powder. Back on the shell plate and don't miss a beat.

Easy-peezy and second nature now...

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been running the U-die with mixed 9mm brass that I don't clean very well, and I use Hornady One-shot.  Never have a problem and generally run it at a 1 for clutch setting.

Not sure what the issue is with yours but if the Dillon lube is working for you, it sounds like it is fixed.

I pull the case off prior to the powder drop. Tare the empty case with primer on the scale. Replace, cycle and weight to get the amount of powder. Back on the shell plate and don't miss a beat.

Easy-peezy and second nature now...

M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should have mentioned I do that every 25 rounds when running a press manually. When I first got my Mk7 I was doing it every hundred rounds when stoping to load primers. Now? Once it’s set on the Mk7, I’m lucky if I do it every 1K rounds - it’s that consistent.

M

1 hour ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Should have mentioned I do that every 25 rounds when running a press manually. When I first got my Mk7 I was doing it every hundred rounds when stoping to load primers. Now? Once it’s set on the Mk7, I’m lucky if I do it every 1K rounds - it’s that consistent.

M

Agree completely r.e. the powder drop.  My wife and I use different powders (and bullets) plus I'm working up loads for WSF.  Once I settle on my WSF load I'll only check the drop when I switch powders.  I'm also installing an endoscope which will allow me to "see" the tiny bit of WSF powder I'm dropping.  Wow, is that stuff dense or what?

• 8 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 12:33 PM, zen_grasshopper said:

Been running the U-die with mixed 9mm brass that I don't clean very well, and I use Hornady One-shot.  Never have a problem and generally run it at a 1 for clutch setting.

Not sure what the issue is with yours but if the Dillon lube is working for you, it sounds like it is fixed.

Can’t believe I’ve never thought I’d that! Thanks !

• 1 month later...

I'm using the U die at st1 on my 1050 w/1050 pro. I've loaded about 15k .40 sw no problem. Can't remember any of my settings off the top of my head. It does make a thump sound on the up stroke but I know some of that's the powder funnel. I also have a U die on my 650 for 9. It's smooth. Doesnt seem to drag. I just spray one shot in a bag then throw brass in and roll them around. I don't get any in the cases. 

Edited by B_RAD

• 2 weeks later...