Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rail mount for Benelli M2

Moondog

Does anybody have recommendations for a plain/inexpensive Picatinny rail for an M2 Field? I'm drilling and tapping the top of my American edition M2 which comes with a .32" sighting grove on the top of the receiver. I'd like to find a rail with a flat base that will fit within that flat sighting groove to provide a snug fit and low-profile so I can sight along the ribs and bead with optics removed. Unfortunately, the bases I've been suggested aren't ideal because: 1) Are too short because they're made for the M2 Tactical with the ghost ring. or 2) Are made for round-top receivers like the Tactical or SBE and have a concave base. 3) Are flat top but too wide and won't fit within the .32" groove. 4) Are bulky rails with integrated saddles. 

Edited by Moondog

• 6 months later...

I am just going through the same exercise that you went through in November. I want to mount a rail on a Benelli M2 SP01 which has the grove on the receiver top. I am advised that the grove makes the receiver too thin to tap. So it is a case of finding a rail to fit the grove and possibly using some Devcon adhesive to secure it. I am wondering what you finally did and if it worked. Any other advice welcome. Thanks.

I have drilled and tapped several standard M2 receivers for optic bases. As far as I know none have ever had an issue.

The front section of the receiver is quite thin. Use a sharp tap and don't get too heavy handed with tightening those 2 screws, 8-10 in/lbs is plenty. The back half of the receiver is much thicker so the rear 2 screws have more tread engagement, will do more of the support work, and can stand more torque.

Edited by GunCat